diy solar

diy solar

REC 2Q BMS

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I have never built a DIY pack, but I am getting the lay of the land and gravitating towards them, when I get the money.

I see there is a new REC BMS apparently releasing shortly, and didn't find a thread on them yet:

What's REC's reputation in the community? High quality to match the high price or overpriced and clunky compared to good enough solutions straight from China?

Looks like they're even more DIY than most BMS and you have to wire up your own separate contactor? Does this really give them up to 500A output?

Based in Slovenia, but probably made in China.

Generally good. REC sees a lot of use on Victron hardware. It's more in the vein of the Orion BMS.

The BMS doesn't actually pass the current, so the current is limited by the contactor chosen and any shunt that's part of the system.

Would get your info direct from REC:

I looked at REC when making my battery for my MotorHome. I wanted a contactor based one - I went with Batrium. For me the software was easier to understand - ymmv.

The YouTube channel “Begining from this Morning” installed a REC bms into their bus. They did a four or five segments on the battery including the BMS.

I believe REC has a good following among the boat community.

Good Luck with your decision.

I have noticed the Batrium rabbit hole, but wanted to see if I could avoid going down it. I may still end up there.

I looked at REC when making my battery for my MotorHome. I wanted a contactor based one - I went with Batrium. For me the software was easier to understand - ymmv.

The YouTube channel “Begining from this Morning” installed a REC bms into their bus. They did a four or five segments on the battery including the BMS.

I believe REC has a good following among the boat community.

Good Luck with your decision.
Honestly, I don’t see how much simpler it could get than what’s on the REC. Except you have to start from the main screen for every change (which is like a single setup, maybe twice if yo fiddle with it).

A coupling of screenshots:

IMG_5817.jpg
IMG_5819.jpg
IMG_5821.jpg

I've had a REC BMS since 2015, chosen to talk to the Sunny Island. I have no complaints.

At the time there was little choice and not much information, but there was a lot of valuable discussion on the CruisersForum and someone from Norway described his adventures with Nissan Leaf batteries which was informative, the Beginning this Morning videos were also useful.

I use the PC software via the RS485 interface for logging and setip. The setup page is pretty straightforward.

REC setup.jpg

I have an original REC Q BMS with a 8S LFP pack of 280s in my shop for the last couple of years and it works great. Pretty much forget it's there.

I have a new REC 2Q BMS in the box on my bench that will be going into my Sprinter shortly.

Back