diy solar

diy solar

Retired Senior

also thanks to all the others for their negative responses, I understand where your all coming from, I’m probably older then most of you and have tough skin

Also keep in mind that 'negative' comments in a thread like this usually are with best intentions. People just don't want you to cause fires, or worse - and a general idea is that if you don't know high voltage electricity system, don't mess with them and discourage others from doing so. Every once in a while you have people posting things like you did, and then just disappear never to be heard of again. One sometimes wonders...

the issue was the way he connected the 2 panels to allow house circuits be have dual sources of power, not OK

Turning off branch circuit breaker in main panel, turning on branch circuit breaker in inverter panel?

In that case, something like Reliance transfer switch would be the way to go. Toggle switch per circuit to select between grid/inverter. Existing breaker in main panel can be left on (or turned off). Reliance has branch circuit breaker to be fed by generator (inverter in this case.)

I have my concerns about the toggle switch in Reliance, but it is still better than relying on human to turn off the correct breaker in one panel and turn on correct breaker in other panel.

Turning off branch circuit breaker in main panel, turning on branch circuit breaker in inverter panel?

In that case, something like Reliance transfer switch would be the way to go. Toggle switch per circuit to select between grid/inverter. Existing breaker in main panel can be left on (or turned off). Reliance has branch circuit breaker to be fed by generator (inverter in this case.)

I have my concerns about the toggle switch in Reliance, but it is still better than relying on human to turn off the correct breaker in one panel and turn on correct breaker in other panel.
thats another solution that could have worked
with the 2 panels already there, and it being a somewhat smaller inverter GW6000 with not a lot of battery
he should just select a few circuits the system will support like refrig, some lights etc
extend those circuits wires to the new panel powered by inverter, run the AC input for the inverter from main panel to inverter, which he already did {I think} and be done
then removing all the extra wires between the 2 panels

I see a metal conduit system so no ground wires required. The conduit is the ground. Since this is a service panel the neutral should be mechanically and electrically connected to ground no ground bar would be needed, land all the neutrals and ground wires (if they exist) on the neutral bar. Just a note for you DIYers this is the only place that would be permitted, never in a sub panel
I bet this was a knob and tube house that had this panel fitted to replace the screw in fuse panel. There will be boxes somewhere buried out of sight that take the K&T and convert to romex.

Well, every else has about summed it up.
Great ingenuity to @RetiredSenior with his initial wiring...
A portable label maker would probably be very handy before you start rewiring everything safely, something like the one linked below.
DYMO Label Maker with 3 D1 DYMO Label Tapes | other crap removed. https://a.co/d/7dbjyGB

Will Prowse if you could give me you input I would greatly appreciate it.
WILL, My main power is on the left side,, my auxiliary panel that’s connected to the inverter is on the right side, I am back feeding the wires from my inverter auxiliary panel to the main panel circuit breaker wires,, which means that I would have to shut off all the breakers in the main panel from the power source in order to feed the wires from my auxiliary to the house wires! In my mind, I am providing the hot power from the inverter and auxiliary panel to the wires only in the main panel ,,, I so far have not connected a neutral wire from my inverter/auxiliary panel to the main,, as you see I have two wires ready to install into the mains neutral if this is correct ? Can you please advise me if this neutral wire is needed from the auxiliary panel ? Also the ac 240 input on the inverter has line 1 and 2 and shows ground, my feed from the main panel is 2 / 30 amp breakers the does the 3 rd wire go to a ground on the panel? I see that the wiring from the neutral goes out of the box to the water pipe assuming that it’ was built that way many years ago, do I tie into the neutral bar with that ground wire for the inverter ? View attachment 130076
Ok, I see now. Solar on the right, and grid on the left.
Yeah, that’s the wrong way to do it. It will work fine IF you disconnect things before turning on the solar, but the BEST way to do it is with a 200A panel with enough room to hold all the circuits, AND the solar input, then set an interlock between the grid main and the solar main.

Back