diy solar

diy solar

Run my 900sq foot mobile home for a few weeks until grid gets connected.

carlh1

My grid should be connected in 10 weeks. I have a 930 sq foot new mobile home. Will have a well and aerobic septic.

Is there something I can get for $10-15k that will run base items until the power company gets the grid hooked up? Thinking lights/microwave/hot water heater/space heater? maybe stay a few days in the mobile home, and a couple of days in our current house that's for sale. we could wash/dry clothes there.

I'd love to do something like a Ecoflow Delta Pro with solar and then when i get the grid i can use it for projects around the property, maybe in the shop, camping, or in a cabin we'll build on the land.

Is there anything that would half way work?

Solar trailer?

My grid should be connected in 10 weeks. I have a 930 sq foot new mobile home. Will have a well and aerobic septic.

Is there something I can get for $10-15k that will run base items until the power company gets the grid hooked up? Thinking lights/microwave/hot water heater/space heater? maybe stay a few days in the mobile home, and a couple of days in our current house that's for sale. we could wash/dry clothes there.

I'd love to do something like a Ecoflow Delta Pro with solar and then when i get the grid i can use it for projects around the property, maybe in the shop, camping, or in a cabin we'll build on the land.

You could build a temporary system easily for $10k which would provide plenty of power when the sun is shining plus around 15 kWh useful power storage for when it isn't. My system cost roughly $4k, but only provides 3.5 kWh useful storage.

In fact, if you did the above, you might even be tempted to go 100% offgrid solar depending on what it's costing you to connect to the grid.

As you are there only part time, and its for a limited period, how about renting a portable generator ?
I thouight about that. but wanted to head towards battery and i could use it later in a small cabin or projects on the land. That might be the best idea though. thanks.

With 10-15K, I could help you design a system that you would never have to connect to the grid at all. For just 2000-3500$ though I could help design something fully functional with a few compromises. Anything generating heat or cold is typically a high-wattage "big-ticket" item. Alternatives to those results in a far smaller system.

At my own place I can both space-heat and make hot water with propane, which I think is far more energy efficient than solar electricity. After that, I'm only consuming about 4kWh max of power per day with lights, TV, computer, and the frig running 24/7. Shooting for 4kWh, you'll be able to make a system that can make that for just 2500$

What might work for you is a component system that individual parts can be swapped out as time goes by. We could orient this towards just getting by, or a long-term system that you lets you forget the grid completely.

Let's look at a 2000$ 24V starter system
four 6V Trojan T-105 golf-cart batteries :140$ X 4 = 560$
four 250W grid-tie panels: shop on Craigslist, maybe 100$ each X 4 = 400$
60A charge controller :Epever Tracer 6420AN: 350$
Samlex 2000W sine-wave inverter: 700$ low idle, but low surge, can be hard-wired into your electrical panel
Add a bit more for wiring, steel for panel racking, breakers, ect Maybe 2500$ total

Bigger system with tier-1 components
four 6V Trojan L-16 off-grid batteries :350$ X 4 = 1400$
eight 250W grid-tie panels: shop on Craigslist, maybe 100$ each X 8 = 800$
60A-80A charge controller Outback, Midnight, MorningStar: 550-700$
Outback VFX3524, Conext SW 4024 3000W-4000W sine-wave inverter: 1800$ low idle, but high surge capacity, can be hard-wired into your electrical panel

For a big 48V off-grid system
eight 6V Trojan L-16 off-grid batteries: 350$ X 8 = 2800$
20 250W grid-tie panels: shop on Craigslist, maybe 100$ each X 20 = 2000$
60A-80A charge controller Outback, Midnight, MorningStar: 550-700$
Outback Radian 8048, XWPro 6848 6000W-8000W sine-wave inverter: 3800-4400$ low idle, but very high surge capacity, can be hard-wired into your electrical panel
Add a 5-6kW generator for backup power in rainy/snowy weather.

Ideally, you might find a hybrid amongst the three is what fits you best. Maybe go with the starter system, then add more solar, then upgrade to bigger batteries, maybe finally with a bigger inverter. It's up to you how you want to spend the money.

bigger batteries, maybe finally with a bigger inverter. It's up to you how you want to spend the money.
There’s no way I’d spend on a echoflo or bluetthi- so much wasted money for so little power.

Your advice would function and have money leftover for a small backup generator. Even going to a moderate AIO set up SUB would at least pay for itself over time. A solar suitcase ‘generator’ is mostly an expense.

Back