diy solar

diy solar

S3: Small, Mobile Nuclear Reactors

Good idea, thanks.

My bedroom sits over an attached garage, anybody know what the fan noise is like with these?
Not sure, but it provides free heat during the winter most likely. Keep your bedroom floor nice and warm.

My dad spent a lot time in former USSR decommissioning RTGs. A lot were 'salvaged' by local entrepreneurs. Oddly enough, they were easy to find.

My dad spent a lot time in former USSR decommissioning RTGs. A lot were 'salvaged' by local entrepreneurs. Oddly enough, they were easy to find.

I suspect we have satellites that can locate radiation hot spots but the guys coming into the hospitals with radiation sickness or burns would be another clue.

The benefits of this would be great but I see two major safety issues:
  • Deliberate detonation - aka weaponizing. How many movies have we seen based on the nightmare scenario of bad guys with small, portable thermo nuclear devices?
  • Accidents: s**t happens and we don't all have Oppenheimer -level physics degrees.

Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but a couple points:

1. These things have been around for years:

I remember reading about SNAP way, way back when I was a kid in the 60's infatuated with all things nuclear.

2. They aren't really "nuclear reactors", they are just thermoelectric generators like this one:

using the heat produced by the decay of fissile material.

The "smallest" ("small" being relative, of course) commercial reactor system design thus far (other than one-offs and the mil-spec systems the Navy has) are the Small Modular Nuclear Reactors:

Interesting. I hadn't checked in on these in a while and wouldn't you know it, the marketing folks at NuScale have jumped on the AI bandwagon too...

Sheesh.

Interesting. I hadn't checked in on these in a while and wouldn't you know it, the marketing folks at NuScale have jumped on the AI bandwagon too...

A small nuclear power supply is one of the first things our Terminators will need.

Most power plants, at their core, are some type of thermo->electric. It is what you use to generate the heat, and how it uses the heat, that differentiates one from another.

Yes, it's all about heat generation, but the way it was explained in various literature I have run across is that there is an actual nuclear chain reaction involved with a reactor. Hence the name.

Anyway, not trying to start a "he said, she said" here. Just regurgitating stuff published by folks wayyyy more into this and have careers in the industry. And which makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Well we are getting closer to the "Douglas Martin SunPower Screens". The walnut sized reactors can't be far off.

Is the danger of a plant somewhat proportional to the amount of material you have in play? I would think that we have figured out a way to limit the amount of material such that creating a super nasty device would require extreme effort. It's not like you can't get 20 or so propane tanks...

diy solar

diy solar
Back