diy solar

diy solar

Set 12volt 3000watt Renogy inverter to shut down at a specified low voltage

TellGRBill

I would like to know if a 12volt 3000watt Renogy inverter can be set to shut down at a specified low voltage level.
If it can be set to shut down at a specified low voltage level, how can I set that voltage level on this inverter?

Depends on the model. The pass through version is set to 10.0 volts.

The more expensive,
Can be user programmed 10.5 to 12.5 volts

You could ask Renogy or read the manuals to confirm this.

Mike

I have read the manual but can not find any instructions to adjust the low voltage disconnect.
I have bought a voltage monitor DC 6~80V Voltage Monitoring Relay Time Delay Relay Charging Discharge module and could connect it to the inverter. This inverter has a remote controller to shut it off manually. If I could attach the 12 volt monitor referenced above to the remote, that would do it I think.

Attachments

• INVT-P2-Manual.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 6
Depends on the model. The pass through version is set to 10.0 volts.

The more expensive,
Can be user programmed 10.5 to 12.5 volts

You could ask Renogy or read the manuals to confirm this.

Mike
I have a battery bank of 10 group 31 deep cycle truck/bus batteries and I believe that 10 volts would hurt the batteries.
I would like the inverter to shut off at 12.3volts I think. I still have several 12 volt items that run on 12 volts, so we would not be completely shut down while we wait for a higher voltage level returns.

read the manual but can not find any instructions to adjust the low voltage disconnect.
As I pointed out in my post there in no adjustment, a warning at 10.5 volts and shutdown at 10 volts.
Don't confuse the voltage of a resting battery, compared to the voltage under load. Running your inverter at high power will cause a significant drop in battery volts.
Your shut down based on volts via the remote option, but the actual voltage for a 50% SOC will vary, and may/will be lower than12.3.
An ideal technique would be to use the Victron BMV 712 and program its internal relay to switch at a desired SOC. Screenshot_20230802-220107_Chrome~2.jpg
The actual drop under load will depend on the amp hours of your battery bank and the current taken by the inverter.

I didn't comment on this forum to be approached by a sales person for some other inverter. I posted to see if I could get advice for using the inverter that I already have.

didn't comment on this forum to be approached by a sales person for some other inverter
The BMV 712 is a battery monitor. It computes battery state. It has an internal relay that could be programmed to disable, via the remote switching, your inverter at a chosen SOC.
Things would be clear to you if a little research on the BMV were to be carried out.

If I could attach the 12 volt monitor referenced above to the remote, that would do it I think.
IF is a really big word. If you have the remote, you could open the back and see how the switch is wired. With a rocker switch it should only be two wires. Those could be detached from switch and go over to your monitor relay C and NO. Good chance switch is attached to circuit board. In that casr two wires could be soldered to the switch and the switch left in off position. Try to open it up and take a picture. Good news is that it can be done. Those inverters with only a pushbutton can not be used in remote on off.

As I pointed out in my post there in no adjustment, a warning at 10.5 volts and shutdown at 10 volts.
Don't confuse the voltage of a resting battery, compared to the voltage under load. Running your inverter at high power will cause a significant drop in battery volts.
Your shut down based on volts via the remote option, but the actual voltage for a 50% SOC will vary, and may/will be lower than12.3.
An ideal technique would be to use the Victron BMV 712 and program its internal relay to switch at a desired SOC. View attachment 169101
The actual drop under load will depend on the amp hours of your battery bank and the current taken by the inverter.
Sorry for my uncharitable comment Mike.
The BMV 712 is a battery monitor. It computes battery state. It has an internal relay that could be programmed to disable, via the remote switching, your inverter at a chosen SOC.
Things would be clear to you if a little research on the BMV were to be carried out.
https://www.victronenergy.com/batte...gs, wreck something, and void the warranty.

I would like to attach my LVD monitor onto the shutdown switch without going into the circuit board of the inverter, and also have the use of the manual shutoff switch.. I hope that there is a way to do that. With directions to wire the LVD monitor to the switch wire I would try it.
I'm afraid to open the inverter case and alter the circuit board. I have worked to refurbish computers for several years and know some of the risks. How do I get emails when someone comments on this forum, without just checking the forum?

I have decided to attach an alarm to the A30-U3 voltage monitor we bought that has a relay to either activate a shutdown device or activate a warning light or an audible alarm. I have purchased an audible alarm and alarm shutoff switch, and will see how this will work for us. I found a relay activated 120 volt shut down switch for the inverter on Amazon that turned out to be a low quality fake "knockoff", but after speaking to the distributor and manufacturer of the quality real brand device, found that it needs a heat sink and other additions that consume too much wattage for my small system.

ASH-B-100DA Single Phase DC to AC 100A AC 660V Solid State Relay 100DA SSR​

Brand: GalaxyElec Fake.JPG

Not sure if you've satisfactorily solved your problem yet. I have a Renogy 2000w Pure Sine Wave inverter, in the same product line as your 3000W model, and want to accomplish the same thing you do, i.e. find a way to program a low-voltage shutdown value other than the preset value. Ideally I want to automatically disconnect the battery at a safe level, probably 12.0V, to prevent battery damage.

I'd like to know if you're satisfied with your solution and what that is.

At first, as a newbie and not understanding the various products to choose from, I was confounded by the seeming lack of this capability in most inverters. But then I found a Renogy device, the Renogy 500A Battery Monitor with Shunt with wired remote (model number RBM500-G1), which seems to meet my objectives. At $58, it's significantly cheaper than the wireless bluetooth solution of the BMV-712. But if money weren't a factor I'd probably go with the BMV. I haven't yet installed this Renogy Monitor with Shunt but expect by using it I'll be able to set a custom shutdown value as well as set an undervoltage audible alarm (e.g. 12.3V).

I'd appreciate any comments on the Renogy Monitor and Shunt (RBM500-G1) and my suggestions.

FYI: I have 2 x 100AH LiFePo4 batteries, Renogy 2000W Pure Sine Wave 12V Inverter.

Back