diy solar

diy solar

SHOW ME YOUR MEGAWATTS!

HighDesertOffgrid

Solar Addict
I was doing some system maintenance today and noticed one on my charge controllers shows 3316 kWh. That's 3.3 MEGAWATTS! I installed that one with 2kw of panels in August of 2021. As I built and maintained powerplants that output gigawatt/hours in a past life, I am simultaneously unimpressed and yet impressed with my miniature power plant.
For fun and prizes, show me your MWs. Anyone have a Gigawatt??

Last edited:
From an Axpert MAX II, QET: (02749400f

Supposedly this is Wh so nearly 2.75MWh - comes from 2 solar arrays (I have 3) and is recorded since June 2021 although one of the arrays was installed in mid 2022.

The Midnight solar charge controller reads 62MWh - it has been installed for a few years and is connected to the third array with 2.4kW of panels

"Free" energy is always nice, no matter how little or how much, it all helps.

Our 10.6kWp on-grid hybrid located in sunny Thailand, in its current form has generated 14.144 MWh since October 2021 and 25.226 MWh since its inception (in a rather smaller form) in March 2020 :)

Still a long way to go to that 1 GWh target (91 years at current production) :(

Energy costs here have recently taken a 20% hike in the wrong direction, so Madam is already looking at a rather bare looking (no panels) spot on the car-port that's still available. I feel shopping coming on, there's room for another 6 x 340W panels up there, the current inverters can handle the extra so it's just panels and wiring.

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
It's amazing to see how much grid-tied systems can produce. My systems does produce to much since its only charging
batteries.

Attachments

• totals 122.png
    totals 122.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 23
  • totals 12.png
    totals 12.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
Is that an annual total under February?
That is some odd anomaly that occurred after an upgrade from solar assistant. The inverters do not have any pv coming in so that column should always be zero. But on a good day I can get over 500amps coming.

My Solar total is 8.163 MWH since November 21. I recently installed a Smart Shunt to check for efficiency of Kwh put in the LFP's vs Kwh consumed by the house, and I was very pleased that I was able to use over 93% of the power put into the batteries. That includes idle current draw of the inverters and inverter efficiency, charge controllers and everything else. I found it fascinating that the two 4.4kw inverters were not only powering the entire house but doing so in a very efficient manner. I look at putting energy into batteries like putting water in a tub, if the tub has a leak, all of your water will eventually drain out. If you have an inefficient system, then you will just be letting all of your solar energy go down the drain.

My grand total is 59.67 Megawatts since Aug 2017

Inverter 1 Total 24,275 kWh
1678175826651.png

Inverter 2 Total 34,919 kWh
1678175871937.png

My 15kWp system has produced 9MWh since it was installed in October last year.
Bearing in mind we are coming to the end of summer here in NZ so I don't expect the same production for the next 6 months.

Since we are talking big numbers. Here is 40MW worth of current going through a high voltage transformer at a substation I was visiting on Friday.
There's 2 equally loaded transformers at this site, so that works out at 1.92GWh per day, or $384,000 dollars of electricity per day at 20c/kWh.

Attachments

• 20230303_145620-2.jpg
    20230303_145620-2.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 18
Back