diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar's new EG4 6000 120/240V inverter

I am rarely up on new stuff, but happened to need inverters for a new install. So we canceled our order for two EG4 6500 units at Signature Solar and got two of the 6000s.

Anyhow, I pulled open the left side of the case last night, and it looks to me like there's a big fat transformer in there, which obvious explains the increased weight over the 6500.

I was actually into it chasing what is a small metal vibration buzzing when under the right load. I am assuming there's a piece of sheet metal that just needs a little tweaking. but when I hit the right side of the unit, there's a security sticker over one of the screws, so I got this shot by bending the sheet metal out a bit. My second unit is silent ender all conditions.

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_011920052.jpg
    PXL_20220908_011920052.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 85
we just got everything laid out temporarily on the ground back this past weekend, so the charging and battery levels have been all over the place, as I am having to switch between grid and the inverters for testing purposes. I also just got solar assistant hooked up yesterday (super simple!) and also connected to home assistant with mqtt.

in any case, you can see from this screenshot that with just one of the 6000 inverters running all night, that one was drawing 103 watts. you can see in the second screenshot that no data was being reported from the second inverter, as it was off.

I don't have any idea how accurate this is, but this is as reported by the inverter to solar assistant. that's almost 2.5 kWh per day, or a little over 10% of the ideal usable daily capacity of the 30kWh of batteries if using an 80% drawdown (that's 24kWh usable). so 2.5/24. even assuming that you had eight sold hours of light, that's still almost 7% of all battery storage to keep the inverter running even at idle.

during this measurement period, the outbound breakers were turned off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220908-173022~2.png
    Screenshot_20220908-173022~2.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220908-173911.png
    Screenshot_20220908-173911.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 18
a few pics of my temporary install where we are learning all about the system. it will be here for a couple months (in civilization), then be taken out to some land out in the country where a new house is being built.

Attachments

• PXL_20220903_215025042.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220903_215025042.MP.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220903_222104560.jpg
    PXL_20220903_222104560.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20220903_234521448.jpg
    PXL_20220903_234521448.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220905_020015954.jpg
    PXL_20220905_020015954.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 80
one other quick note:
charging my model 3 long range at 48A runs both inverters at between 98-103% continuously. I've run them at this level until the batteries were under 20% and they never stalled or slowed down or overheated.

the fans ran like screaming banshees the entire time, but they are mounted in a lightly insulated, but unconditioned garage space here in central Texas and it was over 100 degrees in there the last few days. (technically it's a small garage game room, and has AC and heat, but it's not turned on).

I have also started a large clearvue cyclone with a Leeson 5hp motor driving a 14" impeller (I think). it's got a really slow startup, and both units screamed during startup, but settled down after about 3-4 seconds and it was fully started up.

obviously, a mr cool 3 ton mini split was no problem at all, along with a ton of fluorescent and let shop lights.

one other quick note:
charging my model 3 long range at 48A runs both inverters at between 98-103% continuously. I've run them at this level until the batteries were under 20% and they never stalled or slowed down or overheated.

the fans ran like screaming banshees the entire time, but they are mounted in a lightly insulated, but unconditioned garage space here in central Texas and it was over 100 degrees in there the last few days. (technically it's a small garage game room, and has AC and heat, but it's not turned on).

I have also started a large clearvue cyclone with a Leeson 5hp motor driving a 14" impeller (I think). it's got a really slow startup, and both units screamed during startup, but settled down after about 3-4 seconds and it was fully started up.

obviously, a mr cool 3 ton mini split was no problem at all, along with a ton of fluorescent and let shop lights.
Thank you for all the great information.

Do you have a Neutral-Ground bond anywhere on the *output* side of the inverter? If you don't, could you do us a favor and measure voltage between neutral and ground in both pass-through and inverter mode? I would like to know what it is doing with NG bonding. (At least some Tesla chargers require an N-G bond to operate so my guess is you will find very little voltage between Neutral and ground.

If you get a chance, it would be great if you could measure the resistance between input neutral and output neutral while the inverter is not hooked up at all.

I'm cheating a little and wiring it into the secondary panel in my shop, which is downstream from the incoming main panel. That means this secondary panel carries a separate ground and neutral, but they are likely bonded in the upstream panel that's less than 40 feet away, but I'm not 100% on that. On top of that, this is an all steel building and the load centers are welded to the structure, so ground is present everywhere, lol.

I'll have to do some temporary wiring to hook up incoming grid power to get the passthrough measurements. Right now, I don't have grid input into either inverter.

Anyhow, I'll try to get those measurements over this coming weekend. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
a few pics of my temporary install where we are learning all about the system. it will be here for a couple months (in civilization), then be taken out to some land out in the country where a new house is being built.
Nice. What kind and how much solar do you have stacked there? Did you use any solar to charge your Tesla or was it all batteries? How did the communications with the Lifepower batts go? Also, what gauge wire did you use on the output of your inverters?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a Clearview cyclone? Were the inverters loud when not charging the Tesla or other high loads?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

The 103W idle consumption is a bit concerning, but I thought it'd be higher. The 6500's draw about 80-85W from what I've heard, so that's not that far off.

Last edited:
with just one of the 6000 inverters running all night, that one was drawing 103 watts. you can see in the second screenshot that no data was being reported from the second inverter, as it was off.

I don't have any idea how accurate this is, but this is as reported by the inverter to solar assistant. that's almost 2.5 kWh per day, or a little over 10% of the ideal usable daily capacity of the 30kWh of batteries if using an 80% drawdown (that's 24kWh usable). so 2.5/24. even assuming that you had eight sold hours of light, that's still almost 7% of all battery storage to keep the inverter running even at idle.
Well, if your inverter is getting enough solar I guess the idle power consumption won't matter as much, but I wonder how much power it actually uses when in inverter mode? Whether it's inverting the battery and/or solar I'm curious as to whether it uses 100W in that mode? The spec sheet says it's supposed to be 93% efficient in battery to AC mode.

Well, if your inverter is getting enough solar I guess the idle power consumption won't matter as much, but I wonder how much power it actually uses when in inverter mode? Whether it's inverting the battery and/or solar I'm curious as to whether it uses 100W in that mode? The spec sheet says it's supposed to be 93% efficient in battery to AC mode.
Battery to AC conversion is separate from the idle consumption. Anytime it is running approx 100W is being used. At low values like 100W you cannot depend on the inverters readings for accuracy, you really need to put a meter on the battery cable and measure the current. When the sun is up and assuming your panels are producing significant power then the 100W is not a big deal, but at night it on batteries it definitely has an impact. The other big impact is that 7% efficiency loss. You really want to size your battery bank with those numbers in mind.

93% efficiency is likely either exaggeration or cherry picked. I suggest 85% as a planning number.

93% efficiency is likely either exaggeration or cherry picked. I suggest 85% as a planning number.
85% is probably a good planning number, particularly if the system is not typically running at a significant percentage of the rated output of the inverter. Advertised efficiency is always going to be the best the inverter can do and that will almost always be at a sweet spot toward the upper end of the system rating.

Agree but I know people are reading the spec sheets and I really don’t want to get into an argument about what’s on it.

Nice. What kind and how much solar do you have stacked there? Did you use any solar to charge your Tesla or was it all batteries?
Copy/paste from my profile:
2 - EG4 6000EX-48HV 120/240V inverters (https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-6k-off-grid-inverter-6000ex-48hv)
6 - EG4 LifePower4 lithium batteries (https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah)
32 - Solarever 410W Half-Cell Mono PERC solar panels (https://signaturesolar.com/solarever-410w-half-cell-mono-perc-solar-panel-black-full-pallet-31)

So that's about 14.5kW worth of panels. I've seen solar production as high as about 12,000 watts, but as you can see in the pictures, my panels are laid virtually flat on the ground and we are already six weeks past the summer solstice.

I haven't run it long enough to know the exact numbers, but 30kWh won't even come close to charging the tesla in a single go, but that's mostly due to my driving patterns. I have a 140 mile round trip work commute twice a week (work from home the other three days). My 2020 model 3 long range has a 75kWh IIRC, and it takes right about 60% of the battery to do that 140 mile round trip, of which about 80% of it is at 80mph here in texas. That's a raw 45kWh to put back into the battery not counting the inverter conversion losses, the tesla onboard charger losses, nor the battery chemistry losses.

So I've used purely the batteries right when I come home and it's nearly dark, or already dark. I can get about 45-50% of the required recharge put back in, then the following day, I finish the charging with solar.

Last edited:
How did the communications with the Lifepower batts go? Also, what gauge wire did you use on the output of your inverters?
I didn't have any battery communication the first couple of days, as I:
1. did not have the battery dip switches correct. the battery that is connected to the inverter needs to be set to all off on the dip switches which would be the equivalent of 0000.
2. had the communication cable installed backwards. he cable that came with my stuff is labeled on one end as EG4, and not inverter, so that's not super helpful when you have both EG4 inverters and EG4 batteries.
3. did not have the battery type set correctly in the inverters themselves. there's some fine print in the manual that says the host inverter should be set to EG4, and all other slave inverters should be set to user). this doesn't seem to match the settings that the new signature solar video says where you have to have the little growwatt RS485 hub. I will say that with the host inverter set to EG4 battery type and the slave inverter set to user battery type, it does appear that the slave inverter is receiving battery data, because the little battery outline icon on the screen does blink. Being set up this way very well may cause an issue if the inverters get turned off for some reason, say for a very low battery condition, and then turn back on where the host and slave inverters are assigned in reverse order. so let's say that the host inverter is set to EG4 and the slave inverter set to user, those settings will be wrong if the slave inverter ever boots up first.

so just a few things in the way of it working smoothly, but once I got everything set and my mistakes corrected, all seems to be well.

I got it all the above figured out when I was trying to get solar assistant running.

I bought two sets of the 84-in long 1 gauge wire from signature solar, and I ran a set of those directly to the battery rack. if you look at the picture carefully, you can see where I come out of the bottom of each inverter, then over to the battery disconnect breaker, then down into the battery cabinet. In this particular install there is no external bus bar or anything like that. both inverters are wired directly to the bus bars that are inside of the battery cabinet. so there is a single 84-in cable each for power and ground for each inverter. I ran the ground cable directly from the inverter ground terminal to the battery bus in the cabinet, but I cut the positive cable in half and that's what's going through the breaker.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a Clearview cyclone? Were the inverters loud when not charging the Tesla or other high loads?
a clear vue cyclone (I had it wrong as clear view) is a centrifugal dust collection system designed by bill pentz. bill was a long-term woodworker, suffered from respiratory issues due to dust inhalation, and set out to create a reasonably affordable high quality dust collection system for hobbyist woodworkers. however, he only ever published plans for them, where you can make your own, but he licensed the tech out to a family business that produced them. I own a very early generation from when the business was just a few years old. I'm sure that's way more than you wanted to know. clearvuecyclones.com

The inverters are virtually silent when there's not a whole lot going on, but as soon as anything begins to load them, even with say 5 to 10 amps of AC draw, the fans ramp up accordingly. I will say that the units are pretty loud when they are doing anything above say 30-50% or so load. I have noticed that if the units are not completely heat soaked, the fans will ramp down as fast as they ramp up. I've noticed this when adjusting the charge amperage on my tesla. within just a few seconds of me lowering the charge amperage, the fan speed will start to slow down.

The 103W idle consumption is a bit concerning, but I thought it'd be higher. The 6500's draw about 80-85W from what I've heard, so that's not that far off.
Thanks @Subdood for all of the questions.

I agree with the idle consumption being a tad high, but what's really the eye opener is how much of a very expensive battery bank it takes to run a pair of inverters overnight. since I have a pair of these, they will be drawing roughly 5 kWh every 24 hours. that's basically minus one and a quarter battery's capacity of my stack of six if I'm only drawing down 80% for maximum battery longevity. that's almost 21% of my total battery capacity just to keep the inverters running at idle.

I'm ultimately going to need four of these units to run my place which will be totally off grid. I've got to go deep for my water well, so that's going to be a large pump, plus multiple large woodworking machines.

I think when it's all said and done, I'm going to have to run three full racks of batteries and four of these inverters. That will give me about 65 KWh worth of usable battery and to be able to handle and sustain all of my surge usage with the tools, and large continuous usage with the tesla charging. of course, I will double the amount of solar panels so that I can get them charged up quickly with any sun that we've got. Beyond that I'm into carefully managing when I charge the Tesla, heat water on a timer, squashing phantom loads, and even managing when I pump water (I would pump into a large storage tank during daylight hours, then use a much smaller pump to provide booster pressure to the house for all other times).

@thanhrodke Your topic directly above is where everyone needs to really think about when getting into solar/inverters. You're going to be adding a good amount of $ in batteries in order to maintain the idle consumption of these inverters. If one spends a little more on a better UL inverter upfront like a Scheider or Outback the idle consumption is MUCH lower. A pair of Conext 6048s has a idle consumption of 16w (8watts each per spec sheet).
1662731509084.png

Last edited:
Thanks @thanhrodke for all the detailed replies, I really appreciate it. I'll have to keep your information in mind regarding the efficiency and idle consumption. I'm not looking at as many batts as you have, so I might have to consider a different inverter.

Sorry, but I meant to ask what size wires you are using from the AC output of your inverters to your breaker panel where everything is hooked up. The manual specs 10 gauge, but some are saying you should use 8ga, because of the 40A internal transfer switch. 10ga can handle 40A, but only if it's 90C rated.

You have one set of 1ga wire going from each inverter to your battery rack? Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't that be at least 2/0ga per inverter? Doesn't that 1ga get hot especially when you're charging your Tesla?

Thanks again.

Thanks @thanhrodke for all the detailed replies, I really appreciate it. I'll have to keep your information in mind regarding the efficiency and idle consumption. I'm not looking at as many batts as you have, so I might have to consider a different inverter.

Sorry, but I meant to ask what size wires you are using from the AC output of your inverters to your breaker panel where everything is hooked up. The manual specs 10 gauge, but some are saying you should use 8ga, because of the 40A internal transfer switch. 10ga can handle 40A, but only if it's 90C rated.

You have one set of 1ga wire going from each inverter to your battery rack? Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't that be at least 2/0ga per inverter? Doesn't that 1ga get hot especially when you're charging your Tesla?

Thanks again.
I am not a certified electrician, but have been wiring stuff for 30+ years, including several remodels and my current house. I understand NEC specs and requirements, I read 1 gauge wire as being 130 amp rated with 75C insulation rating.

each EG4-6000 unit can charge at a maximum of 120amps, so we are under that 130amp rating.

from a charging standpoint, each EG4 LifePower 48V battery is rated at 100amps individually, so the rack of six batteries could take 600amps max charging rate. the two inverters can output a total of 240amps, so at maximum, they can do 40% of the combined battery's capabilities, so no worries there. that's a .4C charge rate, which is a little higher than a lot of batteries are rated, which is .3C.

from a discharge standpoint, the batteries are also rated at 100amp each as well, with a recommended 30amp continuous rating. when charging my tesla, and both units are running at that 98-102% level for an hour or more, the cables certainly get warm, but not even too close to grip firmly. it's generally understood that a human can hold something that's 60C (140F) for five seconds without burning, so my cable had to be way cooler than that. I don't have Will's super cool Klein temp gauge, but I do have the USB-C model on the way (here in a few weeks).

as to the output connections from the inverter to the breaker panel, as you noted, the manual suggests 10gauge, and that supports the inverters rating of 6000watts. 6000watts across 240 volts is 25 amps, and 10 gauge is generally rated at 35 amps with a 75C insulation. note that the manual recommends 90C rated wire, which is satisfied by your typical romex style wire, service cord (SO), or even individual THHN/THWN insulated wires. at those temps, 10ga wire is rated at 40amps, but the NEC limits the operating temps of the conductors to 60C, so that derating limits the wire to 30amps. in my case, I had some leftover 6gauge laying around (rated 55amps at 60C), so I just used that. it just had to be bigger than 10gauge. I used 40 amp breakers, as that's what the manual lists for the AC in breaker, but there's no AC out breaker size listed. if using 10ga wire, I think the correct breaker would be 30amp breakers.

I will take a moment here and point out the worst acronym that you will ever come across when doing any kind of construction, wiring, plumbing, etc., and that's "AHJ". it stands for "authority having jurisdiction". that means that regardless of the national electric code (NEC), standard plumbing code, or any other widely-known best practice, you've got some local bureaucrat that can override anything they want in your particular location. this could affect anything in your install, such as wire and breaker sizes, clearance in front of and around your inverters, how high off the ground they have to be placed and more. while it never gets to this, they could even dictate what specific brands are allowed within their jurisdiction. at the end of the day, your local inspector has so sign off on the install, or it can't be put into production. it's honestly irritating as all get out, and you different standards in different locations. thankfully, the majority of the country sticks to the NEC, but there's still so much left to interpretation in the NEC code. bottom line: consult your AHJ before diving into making any install permanent at your house.

hopefully with all of the math and stats and ratings in there, I did not mess anything up. please correct me if I did.

all amperage listings in all of my posts assumes copper conductors.

Last edited:
@thanhrodke Your topic directly above is where everyone needs to really think about when getting into solar/inverters. You're going to be adding a good amount of $ in batteries in order to maintain the idle consumption of these inverters. If one spends a little more on a better UL inverter upfront like a Scheider or Outback the idle consumption is MUCH lower. A pair of Conext 6048s has a idle consumption of 16w (8watts each per spec sheet).
@ChrisG, you spun me off there for just a short bit! great looking inverters those are. solid overpower ratings as well with like 25% overrating for 30 minutes. that is some solid construction.

I was immediately thinking, oh no, should I swap? but then I saw the price...while the 4000w units are comparable in price to the EG4 6000 units, the $3,300 6500watt unit is over 2.5x the price of the $1,300 EG4 units.

doing a little value maths for one of these schneider units, I would save about 90 watts on idle current, which is about 2kWh per day, or 50% of one EG4 LifePower battery (5kWh with 80% drawdown is 4kWh). with a battery costing $1,500 that equates to about $750 in value of that lower idle current.

coming at it the other way, for the $2,000 higher price, I could get 1.33x more $1,500 batteries, which nets me 3.32 more kWh (1.33x times 4kWh usable at 80% drawdown minus the 2kWh idle usage over 24 hours). that's assuming I have more solar power than I use, but one additional $300 panel will cover the idle usage. so for that $2,000 saving on the inverter, I could get one more battery and one more panel, and come out just a touch better off from a production and total available usable battery perspective.

I love discussions like that that force the numbers to be worked. and as I said, that schneider unit is a really amazing unit, and it is very likely more efficient across the board. those efficiencies could completely negate the pure dollar savings over going with an all EG4 ecosystem.

Back