diy solar

diy solar

Small off-grid plan. Will this work?

daveywb

This might sound a bit mad, but bear with me...

I currently have a shed under some trees but some space on a flat roof that could accommodate some panels. I want to generate a bit of energy to give it some background heat and power some other small items. It seems crazy to be spending money to heat it on a sunny day (it's cold due to the shading.)

So my idea is to have a small off-grid system. But also thinking of the possibility of expanding it and making it on-grid in the future.

After looking at some off-grid kits, it seems much more efficient to design your own... Would something like this work? I'm prepared to be told that this combination of items is ridiculous...!

2 x 400w solar panels

1 x 800w charger/inverter

1 x 100Ah lithium battery

Any advice would be appreciated!

That wouldn't be too bad. I have an 80w background heater and a 200w infra red panel, which I wouldn't use at at the same time. And I'm not planning to be in there in the depths of winter

This might sound a bit mad, but bear with me...

I currently have a shed under some trees but some space on a flat roof that could accommodate some panels. I want to generate a bit of energy to give it some background heat and power some other small items. It seems crazy to be spending money to heat it on a sunny day (it's cold due to the shading.)

So my idea is to have a small off-grid system. But also thinking of the possibility of expanding it and making it on-grid in the future.

After looking at some off-grid kits, it seems much more efficient to design your own... Would something like this work? I'm prepared to be told that this combination of items is ridiculous...!

2 x 400w solar panels

1 x 800w charger/inverter

1 x 100Ah lithium battery

Any advice would be appreciated!
Don't scrimp on your first system. As a MINIMUM I would go with a 2KW (continuous) inverter and 2KW of solar panels ( 7 X 300) or ( 5 X 400). The cost difference will be fairly small and you won't REGRET buying cheap junk that falls apart. A SINGLE 5KW LiFePo4 battery will get you started, but expect to pay between 2500 and 3000 just for the battery (with built in BMS) Get an inverter that has an LCD panel to do the PROGRAMMING. Yes, if you don't program it right, you risk having it fail or blow up. New batteries have a BMS (battery managements system) TO PROTECT THE BATTERY. iF YOU OVERCHARGE THE BATTERY WITH THE INVERTER RUNNING, AND THE BMS DISCONNECTS (to protect the battery) the inverter will likely EXPLODE!! YOU MUST PROGRAM THE BATTERY VOLTAGE PARAMETERS TO MATCH THE BATTERY. THis will vary with LiFePo4 batteries because some are 14, 15 and 16 cell, and the proper battery settings depend on how many cells you have.

Back