diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K and EG4LL battery communications

I thought they all used Seplos BMS's with just different firmware? If thays the case, just flash SOK firmware onto the BMS and its good to go

I have had contact with Tom Brennan, CTO and he did confirm with me that using the SOK with the Sol-Ark (with communications) is not grounds to void the Sol-Ark warranty on its own. He said that if it's working fine then it's nothing to worry about.

What? Using a battery that currently is not on their list for communications with the Sol-Ark “voids warranty?”

I thought they all used Seplos BMS's with just different firmware? If thays the case, just flash SOK firmware onto the BMS and its good to go
I would not do that. There are a lot of things that could be different even if the boards models are the same.
What pins they use for wiring things like the PreCharge Resistor circuit control could be different. Maybe even what pins they use for temp sensors. the new firmware may be reading from the wrong io and sending data to the wrong io. Just a bad idea IMHO.

Last edited:
What? Using a battery that currently is not on their list for communications with the Sol-Ark “voids warranty?”
Not as far as I know. I would go out on a limb and say no that is not the case because they do not specify that you have to use any particular brand.

Not as far as I know. I would go out on a limb and say no that is not the case because they do not specify that you have to use any particular brand.
I wonder what he means by “on its own.”

I think that you took the bait on that one.
If I said that I confirmed that it was ok to put gas in a Ford with my left hand.
It might make people think that using the right hand wasn't ok.

I think that you took the bait on that one.
If I said that I confirmed that it was ok to put gas in a Ford with my left hand.
It might make people think that using the right hand wasn't ok.

I took it as, using your left hand ”is not grounds to void Ford’s warranty on its own.” But if you are picking your nose with your right hand while pumping gas with your left hand… all bets are off, warranty could be voided. ?

neither SOK , nor eg4 are using the seplos bms.
it looks to me they are using the same bms physically, cant say if there are firmware differences

neither SOK , nor eg4 are using the seplos bms.
it looks to me they are using the same bms physically, cant say if there are firmware differences
Watching W Prowse's videos of the teardown and comparison of the EG4 and SOK batteries, he comments that they are both using the same BMS's and batteries. This could imply that the BMS's only differ in the code they are flashed with. However, he didn't comment on more specifics.
Does anyone know anymore than this??

-TB

I have said many times before the BMSs are very different, not from the same factory or even the same part of the country

It is spreading hearsay at this point, but there might also be 2 new models of the SOK 48v coming out soon (next 3-4 months).
Does this mean y'all are coming out with a budget priced version of your 5.12kwh SOK battery? What I mean by that is something similar to the EG4 Lifepower4, which doesn't have a display like the EG4 LL version.

Watching W Prowse's videos of the teardown and comparison of the EG4 and SOK batteries, he comments that they are both using the same BMS's and batteries. This could imply that the BMS's only differ in the code they are flashed with. However, he didn't comment on more specifics.
Does anyone know anymore than this??

-TB
I think @Will Prowse was saying that in his teardown reviews, the SOK, and newer Jakiper "Pro" batteries look very similar. That is, similar cells, cell layout, case, output wiring, bolted on cells, and especially the BMS. I think this is the video.

Makes me wonder if they are made in the same factory. Kinda like how the 6.5kW inverters that MPP Solar, Rich Solar, EG4, Sungoldpower sell are basically the same units, just different cases. The EG4 does have higher Voc ratings, but I've heard SGP are uprating the Voc rating on their 6.5kW inverter.

Last edited:
I think @Will Prowse was saying that in his teardown reviews, the SOK, and newer Jakiper "Pro" batteries look very similar. That is, similar cells, cell layout, case, output wiring, bolted on cells, and especially the BMS. I think this is the video.

Watch the EG$4 teardown/eval. I think that's where he mentions it.. Also states that SOK and EG4 have Gafeng Grade A cells.

Watch the EG$4 teardown/eval. I think that's where he mentions it.. Also states that SOK and EG4 have Gafeng Grade A cells.
He says the cells are the same, but not the BMS. The BMS doesn't look like the SOK's. After watching the video I posted, the Jakiper Pro battery looks to be essentially a SOK clone.

He says the cells are the same, but not the BMS. The BMS doesn't look like the SOK's. After watching the video I posted, the Jakiper Pro battery looks to be essentially a SOK clone.
Sorry, it was in the SOK teardown video at 3:30.

-TB

Sorry, it was in the SOK teardown video at 3:30.

-T
Ok, but it doesn't look the same as the SOK, but maybe it's put in the EG4 battery differently. But @HighTechLab has already said it's not the same as the SOK. But the SOK and the Jakiper Pro batteries do have the same BMS, according to Will's vid I posted.

Back