diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K All in One Inverter Released.

Yes I’m not exactly sure how it handles the AC couple vs the DC but I assume it’s similar. During our weekly gen test you can see it drops solar and grid to only what is required to cover loads so it won’t back feed.

Attachments

• 53BC282B-9887-4EE8-9633-6AC2715C9AC0.png
    53BC282B-9887-4EE8-9633-6AC2715C9AC0.png
    409.1 KB · Views: 16
It may be unique to the SolArk because of the way they use the Gen port instead of the AC out. If that is the case I would agree with your assessment, that it is crazy. After you quoted my post, I asked the question if you are using a critical loads panel on the AC out port of the SolArk? If so was there any load on the critical loads panel?
I selected the 15k Sol-ark to allow direct feedthrough of my 200A main metered service. So the Grid feed enters the Sol-ark line input, the exits the Sol-Ark load directly to the 200A breaker on top of my one and only main panel. The entire home is running off that feed, so yes the Sol-ark has an AC load in place. The other very odd behavior is that the main panel on the front of the Sol-ark says OFF, even though it is lit up, and the power button on the left hand side of the unit is on and glowing. Reset (main power off for 1 minute then back on doesn't change this OFF ) So I am glad we have found something to agree on . This is crazy.

My conclusion based on the behavior of the Sol-ark 15K is that unless you have a DC source (PV, or Battery) it

A Will not turn on, just stays "OFF" as the display says clearly. (and yes all the programming options are available, and it is connected to the net with the OFF displayed.)

B Will not apply 240V to the generator pins and will not turn on my Enphase inverters that need to see grid power to operate. IE, it will not AC couple.

I will wait for the manager at Sol-ark to reply it hoping that there is some "setting" I can toggle to improve the AC only operation of this unit, but as of now , based on the Tech feedback from Sol-ark, I am not optimistic.

I just ordered 25 feet of 4/0 copper wire to begin my battery build, and it appears until I have that up and running it is a large expensive paper weight with AC only connected.

To avoid spreading fake news, I will update this post if Sol-ark finds a software setting that can be modified to correct this issue.

I don’t think it will work.
Without PV or Batteries the 15k becomes nothing more than a pass through for AC grid power. That’s why I think it saying OFF, as It cannot combine Generator power with AC coupled panels as their frequencies are fixed

I don’t think it will work.
Without PV or Batteries the 15k becomes nothing more than a pass through for AC grid power. That’s why I think it saying OFF, as It cannot combine Generator power with AC coupled panels as their frequencies are fixed
Robby, just one correction to your first sentence (which I think is important).

Without DC connected PV, or Batteries the 15k becomes nothing more that a pass through for AC grid power.

They advertise the unit as a retro-fit to folks who have AC coupled Solar.... and don't clearly state that unless you have a DC source of some kind it won't work. That's my frustration. I have 32 cells and will be building a battery in the next few weeks as I collect the hardware, and that was always my long term plan.... but I wish they were more clear about the limits of AC coupling capability (in my view).

Why are the 15k folks posting questions on a DIY board when you paid too much money for an inverter and should have a number to call for help.

Ok.. So now that I am moving on to my battery to make this work. I just watched the Engineer 775 video.
He has EG4 rack batteries hooked directly to the Sol-ark, and says very clearly that no fuses or circuit breakers are needed as the Sol-ark has over current protection built in .
He also says that he learned that you need to connect all four of the battery terminals to split the current input to ensure that you don't trip the built in 200A DC breaker. (He did in his first test).
The peak current input of the 15K from batteries is 275A.

So my questions are when I connect my 32 EVE 280A 48v batteries to the Sol-ark with 200A JK BMS on each battery.

1.0 Do I still need to add 2 250A Class T fuses in series with the feed to the Sol-ark, if it all ready has over current protection built in? Biggest difference in my case is my battery is "home built" 32 stand alone EVE cells.

To date , Engineer775 has done multiple battery/Sol-ark installs, with no Class T fuses between rack batteries and the Sol-ark.. and he has customer liability on his installs.

2.0 Since the maximum Battery input current draw of the Sol-ark is 275A I can make the input cables the exact same length from each battery and expect a maximum current draw of ~140A from each 32 cell battery, and connect with 4/0 copper cable to both of the battery inputs on the Sol-ark. The 140A maximum is well below the capability of the JK BMS, and the connecting cables is extreme overkill, but goal is to keep everything overdesigned, cool, and safe.

3.0 Is there any reason to install a stand alone cut off switch on each battery? I guess it might be nice at some point, but it is not that difficult to unbolt the + cable from one battery or the other and accomplish the same thing electrically. (I would really like to avoid this).

4.0 The JK BMS has two small wires exiting for the Negative battery connection, what is the best way to connect those to the 4/0 cable that will be run to the Sol-ark. (crimp terminal , then bus bar, or crimp extension cable , then bus bar)

Thanks to all who have followed my "Sol-ark" adventure, and thanks to anyone who can suggest what is best practice when attaching the required 48V DC power source in a safe manner.

CBs work, but I believe people are adding fuses (like T-Class) because of arcing, that can bypass a CB.

I selected the 15k Sol-ark to allow direct feedthrough of my 200A main metered service. So the Grid feed enters the Sol-ark line input, the exits the Sol-Ark load directly to the 200A breaker on top of my one and only main panel. The entire home is running off that feed, so yes the Sol-ark has an AC load in place. The other very odd behavior is that the main panel on the front of the Sol-ark says OFF, even though it is lit up, and the power button on the left hand side of the unit is on and glowing. Reset (main power off for 1 minute then back on doesn't change this OFF ) So I am glad we have found something to agree on . This is crazy.

My conclusion based on the behavior of the Sol-ark 15K is that unless you have a DC source (PV, or Battery) it

A Will not turn on, just stays "OFF" as the display says clearly. (and yes all the programming options are available, and it is connected to the net with the OFF displayed.)

B Will not apply 240V to the generator pins and will not turn on my Enphase inverters that need to see grid power to operate. IE, it will not AC couple.

I will wait for the manager at Sol-ark to reply it hoping that there is some "setting" I can toggle to improve the AC only operation of this unit, but as of now , based on the Tech feedback from Sol-ark, I am not optimistic.

I just ordered 25 feet of 4/0 copper wire to begin my battery build, and it appears until I have that up and running it is a large expensive paper weight with AC only connected.

To avoid spreading fake news, I will update this post if Sol-ark finds a software setting that can be modified to correct this issue.
Without batteries it is just a typical grid tied inverter. Sun goes down they shut off.

Robby, just one correction to your first sentence (which I think is important).

Without DC connected PV, or Batteries the 15k becomes nothing more that a pass through for AC grid power.

They advertise the unit as a retro-fit to folks who have AC coupled Solar.... and don't clearly state that unless you have a DC source of some kind it won't work. That's my frustration. I have 32 cells and will be building a battery in the next few weeks as I collect the hardware, and that was always my long term plan.... but I wish they were more clear about the limits of AC coupling capability (in my view).
Just installed a 15k as a retrofit DC coupled. It does the very same thing but how could it not. When the solar goes away and you have no battery what do you want it to do? Turn off just like any other grid tied inverter

Just installed a 15k as a retrofit DC coupled. It does the very same thing but how could it not. When the solar goes away and you have no battery what do you want it to do? Turn off just like any other grid tied inverter
My goal was to be able to operate my AC coupled Solar Array during the day, just as you are able to operate your DC connected Solar Array during the day. The difference is it works for a DC PV application, and it does not work or support an AC coupled PV application when the sun is out and the panels can make power. The enphase inverters need to see 240V AC grid present to operate, the Sol-ark is grid connected and has 250V on the Line and load, but when you attach the AC coupled solar, nothing happens, no 250V on the Gen terminals, that is what I expected it to do. Hope that makes it clear.. Let me know if you find any reference in the manual that says what I am trying to accomplish is not possible. I cannot find it.

Got it. I know there are a few differences dc vs ac coupled. You sound frustrated and I understand. Being a grid tied guy for 8 yrs our new Sol Ark is amazing and functioning better than I expected. But that is our experience. Tech support from Sol Ark has also been extremely good.

Now to your battery connections. Here is what I did. I installed two Lynx Power Ins to use as my fusible buss bars. I ran two sets of 4/0 from inverter to the Lynx buss. Landed one set on each end of the busses. Then I ran individual equal length cables from each battery to the buss. I installed 300A 48v mega fuses on each battery positive lead. Works very well and is very safe. Lynx is rated at 1000A. Just my way of doing it.

Here is a way to save $50-60 over the Lynx distributors.

Attachments

• 5DA3E8CD-C028-4B7A-BA98-258BC3538BA5.jpeg
    5DA3E8CD-C028-4B7A-BA98-258BC3538BA5.jpeg
    919.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2C822C10-0F2B-4C77-BB2F-809A5120DF0B.jpeg
    2C822C10-0F2B-4C77-BB2F-809A5120DF0B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
@12kw_2021
In the meantime I presume your Enphase worked when connected to your main panel since the AC passed through to that. One you get your PTO that should work to use your micros until you get batteries connected and can use the Gen port for AC coupling.

Last edited:
No reason to install SolArk without either DC coupled PV or battery; there isn't any function it could provide. Just disconnect Enphase from "gen" port and wire to your AC loads panel for the time being.

It sounds like once you add batteries for battery backup, SolArk can serve as battery-backup addition to existing AC coupled GT PV.
Or, with DC couple PV, SolArk can provide additional PV to loads/grid, and also perform limited or zero export function, disconnecting AC coupled GT PV as needed.

Ok I have a question.

Server rack batteries have DC circuit breakers, and the Sol-Arks all have DC disconnects, so is a class-T fuse even required? Or can you go 4/0 straight to the inverter?

Ok I have a question.

Server rack batteries have DC circuit breakers, and the Sol-Arks all have DC disconnects, so is a class-T fuse even required? Or can you go 4/0 straight to the inverter?
So that’s is the question isn’t it. Probably not. The fuse’s really are to protect the wiring. I think you can make a case for either. It made me feel better to have them. I used Mega fuses instead of class T and that opens a new can of worms.

Or, with DC couple PV, SolArk can provide additional PV to loads/grid, and also perform limited or zero export function, disconnecting AC coupled GT PV as needed.
The DC coupled solar can be restricted to zero export by the SolArk. What is unknown is whether the unique method of AC coupling through the gen port means that the SolArk could open the gen port relay to control export of the AC coupled GT micros.

The DC coupled solar can be restricted to zero export by the SolArk. What is unknown is whether the unique method of AC coupling through the gen port means that the SolArk could open the gen port relay to control export of the AC coupled GT micros.
That’s a good question. Have passed that along to Sol Ark techs? It would be nice to know. I’d give Sol Ark a call.

Can the microinverters you have work with CT to implement zero-export?
It is up to them, not the SolArk, to do that.
“My IQ7s with CTs can be configured for no export.”

I’d like to find out more how to use micros with the 15K and not export. I emailed Sol-Ark and they told me not possible if load isn’t drawing enough.
That’s a good question. Have passed that along to Sol Ark techs? It would be nice to know. I’d give Sol Ark a call.

The OP responded that Enphase can be configured for zero export. However logistics in his case we're not optimal to do that.

Back