diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K All in One Inverter Released.

Found the 15K at Tandem Solar for $7725. What I found interesting, and I emailed them about it, is that they have what appears to be a 12K pictured, as it has side vents. They assured me they are selling both the 12 and 15, and that $7725 is the 15K price.

Anyway, what I found interesting is the data sheet they have for the 15K. It's a beta sheet, the numbers are not the same as the sheet Sol-Ark has on their site. I believe I read, maybe in this thread, that some numbers were increased from undated firmware. I hope I'm safe to assume that all 15K units in the market are the same. I'd like to take advantage of the price.
View attachment 142918
It looks like maybe the early spec had less data, the DC voltage has increased, and the max PV has increased, not sure if there are any actual differences in an earlier released model. Maybe just ask them for the manufacturing date and go from there, I believe it's somewhere on the actual unit or box.

I just got my solark15k and (6) eg4 version 2 batteries for closed loop to the inverter. I am unboxing now. I am very new to this entire process. Anyone have part numbers for Edison conduit from Solark15 to wireway? I am still waiting on my 12" x 12" x 72" wire trough to be delivered. I'm guessing it's (5) Edison 2 inch and (1) Edison 1" at 6" from bottom of inverter to wireway?

I just got my solark15k and (6) eg4 version 2 batteries for closed loop to the inverter. I am unboxing now. I am very new to this entire process. Anyone have part numbers for Edison conduit from Solark15 to wireway? I am still waiting on my 12" x 12" x 72" wire trough to be delivered. I'm guessing it's (5) Edison 2 inch and (1) Edison 1" at 6" from bottom of inverter to wireway?

The bottom holes take 1 1/2“ Set Screw connectors, with the one for COMM a little smaller, I think 1”. (that hole is 1 1/4”).

JUST PASSED INSPECTION!!!
Awesome. Thanks again for sharing those photos with me on your install. I had my inspection last week and had a few things I needed to fix for the inspector. I should pass no problem whenever I have a re-inspection. I'll share some photos once it's passed!

I passed inspection! System is up and running. Thanks everybody for answering questions and providing pictures of their install to help with mine. @jfpetesn and @2TrevorJ

Here is a few pictures. I have to clean up my racking rail ends on my roof and also repair the drywall to make it look nice but overall the system is complete and selling power back to grid.

Attachments

• IMG_0787(1).jpg
    IMG_0787(1).jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 57
I passed inspection! System is up and running. Thanks everybody for answering questions and providing pictures of their install to help with mine. @jfpetesn and @2TrevorJ

Here is a few pictures. I have to clean up my racking rail ends on my roof and also repair the drywall to make it look nice but overall the system is complete and selling power back to grid.
What a relief huh? Nice Job brother looks great. Did you add storage too?

Nice job. I'm still working on mine.
So far in the process, still need to install my 200 amp fusible disconnect, construct my six eg4 brightmount ground racks in portable style, trench 3 pair of cable 200 feet to the inverter, connect batteries, land all the grid/load connections in power distribution blocks, wait on my homeowners electrical examiners license so when the time comes I can call my power company to ask for a utility disconnect at the meter (I wont do it hot) to do the meter/disconnect/bypass work, wire all, clean up and commission. Its an adventure and have had real valuable help on this forum.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• solar-progress-4-28-2023.jpg
    solar-progress-4-28-2023.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 39
Nice job. I'm still working on mine.
So far in the process, still need to install my 200 amp fusible disconnect, construct my six eg4 brightmount ground racks in portable style, trench 3 pair of cable 200 feet to the inverter, connect batteries, land all the grid/load connections in power distribution blocks, wait on my homeowners electrical examiners license so when the time comes I can call my power company to ask for a utility disconnect at the meter (I wont do it hot) to do the meter/disconnect/bypass work, wire all, clean up and commission. Its an adventure and have had real valuable help on this forum.
Thanks all.
Looks great!!!

What a relief huh? Nice Job brother looks great. Did you add storage too?
I have server rack full of 6 EG4-LL V2 batteries. I purchased them from signature solar with the solar panels. Signature solar did a great job with shipping of the materials. No issues at all.

I plan on installing the batteries in the future but need to repair the drywall and clean up my current install before I do that. I have a net metering agreement so I'm not in a huge rush as the grid is acting like my battery at the moment but would like to use TOU and have power backup in the future.

It's a big relief to have the system up and running. It's a big up front cost not have working.

I have server rack full of 6 EG4-LL V2 batteries. I purchased them from signature solar with the solar panels. Signature solar did a great job with shipping of the materials. No issues at all.

I plan on installing the batteries in the future but need to repair the drywall and clean up my current install before I do that. I have a net metering agreement so I'm not in a huge rush as the grid is acting like my battery at the moment but would like to use TOU and have power backup in the future.

It's a big relief to have the system up and running. It's a big up front cost not have working.
Yes I upgraded several months ago and popped down $29k for batteries in anticipation of state ESS grant money. Lots of hoops to jump and everything went as planned but until I received the big check I was ready for them to find a way to not pay. Once it arrived it was a huge relief.

I thought it would be best to post in the SA 15K super thread. I read this entire thread a few weeks ago. I'm new to this, but I'm almost ready to start buying components. I posted in the Beginners Corner but responses are slow or no one there really knows. So I thought posting to the super thread would be the way to go as there are some really smart people here.

I'm buying 74 Bluesun 460w bi-facial panels. Going to tie 38 panels into the SA's 3 MTTP controllers. Going to add the other 36 panels, 12 into each of three Growatt 6kW Grid-Tie Inverter (MIN 6000TL-X) that will go into the SA/s Gen/AC Couple input. From what I understand, "stacking" the three grid-tie inverters it not a problem. Is this the case? This is currently the question I'm trying to get answered.

Going to add a single Trophy Battery 48V3040E-2 to the battery input to get me through the 4-8pm utility time of use. Going to eventually have 5-7 of those batteries, but for now, just the single one.

Going with IronRidge racking through Greentech in Denver, Colorado.

Panel Layout:

I have been working on my building permits off and on for a month, but decided on the weekend that I'm running out of time so I used GreenLancer to finish up the work on my permits and they got me my first part in only 48 hours. Amazing really. Couple of issues with the first one but they will be quick to fix.

Getting pretty excited to start getting this going. I can finally see light through the end of tunnel.

From what I understand, "stacking" the three grid-tie inverters it not a problem. Is this the case? This is currently the question I'm trying to get answered.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "stacking"? I think the gen port can handle 80 Amps which is 19.2 kW which should work as long as the grid is up. You may be limited when the grid is down to be only able to use a portion of those AC coupled Growatts. If those are split phase and compliant with UL1741SB you might be able to use one of them if your loads are sufficient. With 17 kW as DC coupled that may be adequat depending on how long your grid outages last. I am assuming this will be a grid tied setup?.
EDIT: changed the AC coupling amount.

Last edited:
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "stacking"? I think the gen port can handle 60 Amps which is 14.4kW which should work as long as the grid is up. You may be limited when the grid is down to be only able to use a portion of those AC coupled Growatts. If those are split phase and compliant with UL1741SB you might be able to use one of them if your loads are sufficient. With 17 kW as DC coupled that may be adequat depending on how long your grid outages last. I am assuming this will be a grid tied setup?
It can do 100A (80A continuous).

I've linked the line diagram:

I guess what I mean by stacking is combing the three Growatts 6kW 240v inverters together and connecting them into the AC Coupled input on the Sol-Ark. The GreenLancer Line Diagram is showing a AC Load Center with the three Growatt inverters connected to the Load Center and the Load Center going into the Gen In (AC Coupled). The Growatts are 1741 compliant, so the Sol-Ark would control the 60hz frequency and shift it up to shutdown the Growatts if they are not needed at that time. Can I assume this is correct?

Yes, this system will be grid tied. Only going to get $0.055 a kW back from the utility since my system is larger 10kW. I'd rather have too much power than not enough.

By the time you are talking 3 growatts, I would pay the additional $5k to get a second sol-ark and parallel them.

Yea, that is literally the price increase. The CFO (wife) is already complaining about the cost. :whistle: If I had the extra funds I'd get the EMP SA. With Grid-Tie, the house can literally run off the single SA without a problem and boost from the grid or AC coupled. The Growatts only have 5 year warranties on them so I'm not sure how long they will actually last. But for $750 for each of them it's very reasonable. I'd do a second SA instead of micro-inverters though.

Back