diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark - Inverter Monitoring

A lot of things keep changing in the firmware.
I have never tried the Canbus port for reading data, I have only used rs485. I suspect Canbus does work as one of the battery companies in their list uses 00 and Canbus connected.
My understanding is that 00 gives full access to rs485 port and anything else like 04 will limit it to subroutines for getting data from that battery pack only.

Last edited:
A lot of things keep changing in the firmware.
I have never tried the Canbus port for reading data, I have only used rs485. I suspect Canbus does work as one of the battery companies in their list uses 00 and Canbus connected.
My understanding is that 00 gives full access to rs485 port and anything else like 04 will limit it to subroutines for getting data from that battery pack only.
i use CAN comms for battery, but when its plugged in i don't get rs485 out of it together with CAN, according to this i should be able to... hmmm ill try to mess with it again

i think when i was paying with the rs485 the only way i got rs485 from the CAN port was actually lithium mode 03 and checked, try that maybe
yeah it defiantly enabled something when I made this setting. I got excited when I saw the converter tx/rx light blinking like crazy but seems its looking for specific data from a BMS. this enabled a new battery button on the main menu that shows all null. I also got an error from modpoll.

Im starting to think this was broken in a firmware update..? either on purpose or accidently. Does every one keep firmware updated?Capture2.JPG

yeah it defiantly enabled something when I made this setting. I got excited when I saw the converter tx/rx light blinking like crazy but seems its looking for specific data from a BMS. this enabled a new battery button on the main menu that shows all null. I also got an error from modpoll.

Im starting to think this was broken in a firmware update..? either on purpose or accidently. Does every one keep firmware updated?

I'm having the same issue... I'm just getting a constant timeout... transmitting but nothing is coming back.
Using Modbus Poll and an RS485 to Eth Adaptor... everything seems to be configured correctly:
Baud rate: 9600bps, Parity: None, Data Bits: 8, Stop Bits: 1
Slave ID: 1 Function: 3 and I'm just trying to pull address 150-196

What FW are you running... Shot of mine below.

1645310401937.png

1645309921294.png

I'm having the same issue... I'm just getting a constant timeout... transmitting but nothing is coming back.
Using Modbus Poll and an RS485 to Eth Adaptor... everything seems to be configured correctly:
Baud rate: 9600bps, Parity: None, Data Bits: 8, Stop Bits: 1
Slave ID: 1 Function: 3 and I'm just trying to pull address 150-196

What FW are you running... Shot of mine below.

View attachment 84482

View attachment 84481
-COMM: 1430-0717
-MCU:Ver6210

ok i either got lucky or i fingered something out,

i use batrium BMS with CAN comms in place with solark 12k outdoor,
last time i couldn't get it to work by using pins 1+2+g or 7+8+g to get modbus to work alongside CAN (according to their manual it should work), tried rs485 usb dongle and rs485 to ethernet converters etc

today i was trying to figure out alternate way of getting data without much success then i decided to try rs485 again, once again nothing worked
then i was going to wire everything back and unplugged the CAN cable from Batrium bms to see if i can get it work wihout CAN comms, and sure as shit it works with modpoll (see screenshot) it did not show any tx/rx lights until i started polling, then i plugged my CAN back to Batrium and both are still working!

anyway try to bounce you battery comms and see if it helps for you, also as i mentioned no rx/tx lights until i actually polled the interface

1645932518768.png

Im starting to think this was broken in a firmware update..? either on purpose or accidentally. Does every one keep firmware updated?
You really need to update the Firmware, mine is running 3.2.0.6
When I first got my unit about 8 months ago it had some old Firmware that was something like 6xxx (cannot remember) The Tech told me in early January that they had changed the numbering system to 3.x.x.x several months ago. Anyway the main point is that the 3.2.0.6 update had a massive upgrade for the MPPT trackers algorithm. He said I would see a big improvement on the PV output.
I was dubious so I recorded the numbers at about 3pm with no clouds and it was something like 3200W.
After 15 Minutes the update was over the unit rebooted and I was getting something like 3700W out of the Array. I was blown away at the fact that I was getting about 15% more power YMMV. The latest update I heard about is 3.2.1.0 which has some fixes for the Generator starting and stopping feature. I do not have a generator hooked up so I skipped getting it.

When I first got my unit about 8 months ago it had some old Firmware that was something like 6xxx (cannot remember) The Tech told me in early January that they had changed the numbering system to 3.x.x.x several months ago. Anyway the main point is that the 3.2.0.6 update had a massive upgrade for the MPPT trackers algorithm. He said I would see a big improvement on the PV output.
I was dubious so I recorded the numbers at about 3pm with no clouds and it was something like 3200W.
After 15 Minutes the update was over the unit rebooted and I was getting something like 3700W out of the Array. I was blown away at the fact that I was getting about 15% more power YMMV. The latest update I heard about is 3.2.1.0 which has some fixes for the Generator starting and stopping feature. I do not have a generator hooked up so I skipped getting it.
My fw is 9xxx I got the fw update request submitted at 9 AM but their 7day a week support is apparently a marketing departments invention because I got no update...

Hmmm.. I requested and got an update on Feb, 9th. Even their support page here states 6210 is the latest version for 12k-P (outdoor model). What model do you have?

Last edited:
ok i either got lucky or i fingered something out,

i use batrium BMS with CAN comms in place with solark 12k outdoor,
last time i couldn't get it to work by using pins 1+2+g or 7+8+g to get modbus to work alongside CAN (according to their manual it should work), tried rs485 usb dongle and rs485 to ethernet converters etc

today i was trying to figure out alternate way of getting data without much success then i decided to try rs485 again, once again nothing worked
then i was going to wire everything back and unplugged the CAN cable from Batrium bms to see if i can get it work wihout CAN comms, and sure as shit it works with modpoll (see screenshot) it did not show any tx/rx lights until i started polling, then i plugged my CAN back to Batrium and both are still working!

anyway try to bounce you battery comms and see if it helps for you, also as i mentioned no rx/tx lights until i actually polled the interface
Thanks for this, gives a little bit of hope.
What do you mean "bounce" you battery comms"?

Hmmm.. I requested and got an update on Feb, 9th. Even their support page here states 6210 is the latest version for 12k-P (outdoor model). What model do you have?
I use 12K-P Outdoor model - The newer design without the clear windows for the breakers.
Are you sure your looking at the right number?
If you run Powerview then select "Plant" then select your plant name you will see Overview/ Equipment / Event at the top of the screen. Click on Equipment and midway down on the left you should see SW Version.

I use 12K-P Outdoor model - The newer design without the clear windows for the breakers.
Are you sure your looking at the right number?
If you run Powerview then select "Plant" then select your plant name you will see Overview/ Equipment / Event at the top of the screen. Click on Equipment and midway down on the left you should see SW Version.
yup..

Capture.JPG

This is what I like about Forums :)
After @jungleman2000 showed me his firmware I was puzzled so I called Sol-Ark.
The Tech told me that after 3.2.0.6 Management made a decision that the Outdoor and Indoor model should have separate Firmware numbers. So after that they Labeled new Firmware with a 3.x.x.x for Indoor units and 6.x.x.x for outdoor units. He said he wanted to update my Inverter so I said go ahead and now I am on 6.2.1.0

Firmware Ver_updated.jpg

Back