diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant Wish list, Bugs and Issues.

Yes, SA has said somrwhere that the Orange Pi and the Pi 4B are the only ones really powerful enough to run the video output as well as data logging.

Yes, SA has said somrwhere that the Orange Pi and the Pi 4B are the only ones really powerful enough to run the video output as well as data logging.
From the link YOU supplied:

"Only the Orange PI 3 LTS currently has video output enabled. In a future update the Raspberry PI 4B will also output video.

We recommend using a Rii mini keyboard for the best experience of SolarAssistant video output:

Rii mini keyboards on Amazon ($12 - $30)
Rii mini keyboards on Takealot (R150 - R250)
No video output
All boards except the Orange PI 3 LTS have video output disabled. This is to ensure the board remains performant. In a future update, this mode will be replaced with text based video output. If you need to access the device for troubleshooting, please see our

From the link YOU supplied:

"Only the Orange PI 3 LTS currently has video output enabled. In a future update the Raspberry PI 4B will also output video.

We recommend using a Rii mini keyboard for the best experience of SolarAssistant video output:

Rii mini keyboards on Amazon ($12 - $30)
Rii mini keyboards on Takealot (R150 - R250)
No video output
All boards except the Orange PI 3 LTS have video output disabled. This is to ensure the board remains performant. In a future update, this mode will be replaced with text based video output. If you need to access the device for troubleshooting, please see our
I'm not seeing your point. Did I say something inaccurate?

My solar assistant just stopped working at 5am.

It doesnt seem to want to boot but i see the device name on the router and it has been assigned an IP address.

Tried bluetooth but no connection pops up on bluetooth pairing.

Not sure what else to do.
This was sorted.

Turns out my raspberry pi PSU was failing and causing a continuous boot loop.

You would have to use Home Assistant for that. It can read from the two systems. However, YOU get to set it all up. ?
With another PI, and reading some tutorials, I was able to build a first dashboard that combines the values from two SA-instances (running on two PI's and attached to two inverters.

Attachments

• dashboard versie 1.jpg
    dashboard versie 1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 20
With another PI, and reading some tutorials, I was able to build a first dashboard that combines the values from two SA-instances (running on two PI's and attached to two inverters.
This is super interesting. Can you share the tutorials you read?

This is super interesting. Can you share the tutorials you read?
Have it running on Openhab and Habpanel, since that is the platform I use for my home automation.
A lot of information about installing Influxdb and Grafana on Openhab could be found on https://community.openhab.org/
In addition a lot of youtube.
Did watch a lot about NodeRed, but for the current dashboard that was not even necessary.

Initial it was quite a struggle to set it up, but actually it is pretty simple.
If you have Openhab running on a Pi, you can add NodeRed, Influxdb and Grafana. I had some difficulties accessing the Influxdb and user management. In the Openhab community a lot of tips and tricks.
Once up and running and with access to Grafana, it was a piece of cake.
I already had MQTT running on OpenHab and reading channels from Solar Assistant.

With the above add-ons in Grafana (just a nice webinterface to your Pi) you can easily select a channel (that already existed in OpenHab and now published to the Influxdb) and add that to a dashboard.

Pretty sure that you don't need Openhab at all. On every machine that runs influxdb and Grafana, you can do exactly the same.
In that case, I think you do need NodeRed in order to publish data from SA to the influxdb. (in my case that already happens because Openhab already is connected to SA via MQTT and the added Influx

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-02-15 222244.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2023-02-15 222244.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 6
I think it is more facile on HomeAssistant.

I had OH and migrared to HA.

But because SA locks some times (it continues to gather data but it is out of network, wired LAN) I may consider to hook up the inverter usb cable directly to HA machine and use some modbus integration

Hello all,
I was hoping to set items of the power screen through MQTT

Scenario A: As a user, I would like to set battery SoC limits based on sunrise and sunset (with offset).
Details: I was hoping to use node-red/mqtt for this, but those settings aren't available outside the solar assistant's webapp.

Scenario B: As a user, I would like to override output source priority at a specific load.
Details: I have an EV, and to avoid crushing the battery each time I charge it, I was hoping to use node-red/MQTT to use the "set to [] for [] mins/hours", but those settings aren't available outside the solar assistant's web app.

Possible solutions:
- Add those options (including the cancel option on output source priority) in MQTT?
- For now, the interface use WebSocket, maybe we could have a REST JSON API?

Current workaround:
Disable all those options in solar assistant and recreate similar features in node-red so I can add those scenarios. Therefore being way less secure and less resilient than the solar assistant which I would like to avoid.

You can use the Home Assistant integration to set up whatever automations you like. Can use Node Red via that if you prefer instead of using HA automations.

anyone else having solar assiant isues since the new feb 19th update? causing home assistant energy dashboard to do crazy things around midnight each time?
my energy in/out sensors have been reporting crazy numbers since this update completely throwing out my energy dash info, solar assistant reading fine but the mqqt ammounts are like sening strange values at midnight starting high then slowly counting down during the day the more power i use

Attachments

• energydash.jpg
    energydash.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
  • energy.jpg
    energy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 14
No, mainly because that's a beta update and I don't do beta.

If you are in the beta program then presumably they'll want your feedback.
So your not on the beta.... then don't bother answering!

I was not asking if you was on the previous working version....

I only checked in because you made it sound as is that firmware version was officially released, only to find it was not the case.

Perhaps you missed my point. Why are you complaining about bugs in beta software here? Report them to the developer.

Is the thread not called

Solar Assistant Wish list, Bugs and Issues​

do yourself a favor and save some oxygen for the rest of us yeah....

Last edited:
Back