diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant Wish list, Bugs and Issues.

Solar Assistant is BMS emulation to the inverter.
There is a function to have Solar Assistant calculate SOC using current data from the inverter. It is a better estimate than the SolArk. It is called BMS emulation. It might work with multiple packs but only in aggregate. Without communications with each pack, it would not be able tell you if one pack is a problem.

There is a function to have Solar Assistant calculate SOC using current data from the inverter. It is a better estimate than the SolArk. It is called BMS emulation. It might work with multiple packs but only in aggregate. Without communications with each pack, it would not be able tell you if one pack is a problem.

IMHO it should act like a real multipack; get info from each BMS, aggregate and export to the inverter using, for example, Pylontech protocol. We could mix multiple types of BMS, it would be specially useful for Sol-Ark, Sunsynk and Deye inverters.

IMHO it should act like a real multipack; get info from each BMS, aggregate and export to the inverter using, for example, Pylontech protocol. We could mix multiple types of BMS, it would be specially useful for Sol-Ark, Sunsynk and Deye inverters.
Yeah that would be wonderful if it could talk to different BMS's and display each and or aggregate the information.

Yeah that would be wonderful if it could talk to different BMS's and display each and or aggregate the information.
And I don’t think it should be difficult; more than a half of the work is already done with reading the BMSs. It’s a feature that could render a lot of sales.

Solar Assistant as a combiner box.

Ad a bulk or absorb time option for inverters that don’t have that setting(in open loop) and only have some fix or built in algorithms. If you haven’t been to full charge for a while because of weather then when you do get sun, it can get to bulk and tail current very quickly and not spend enough time at the top. Even with an active balancer, it may not be enough to really get the delta down. This is something that they could probably add in the “power tab”.

Ad a bulk or absorb time option for inverters that don’t have that setting(in open loop) and only have some fix or built in algorithms.
I've been thinking about programming my own in Home Assistant or Node Red. But before doing so I need to know how the inverter behaves when a change to charge voltage setting is made. I have a feeling it disconnects the MPPT(s) and then does a restart. If so then I'm not keen on that occurring most days.

I've been thinking about programming my own in Home Assistant or Node Red. But before doing so I need to know how the inverter behaves when a change to charge voltage setting is made. I have a feeling it disconnects the MPPT(s) and then does a restart. If so then I'm not keen on that occurring most days.
Perhaps it can simply change the float voltage in the background. Today I actually intervened for the first time since I installed my JK’s in over a year as to regards of balance. Yesterday I noticed that it did finished absorbing but one bms had only attained a low delta of 25mv. Thou that’s not bad but it’s unusual for this system and looked to be setting a trend. No bad cells, just a bit of delta bop-a-mole. So this morning using SA remotely, I raised the float voltage to just under the bulk. In an hour and 45 the delta was around 2mv. I gave it another 30 minutes just to teach it a good lesson and reset the float back to 54V. The system immediately released the tail current went back to normal and looked great. It’s no big deal if I should have to do this a few times a year because of a set of circumstances, but I’m always looking for automation.

Perhaps it can simply change the float voltage in the background.
My inverter's charge controller does not revert to float voltage, even though it has such a float voltage setting.

This is when charging from off-grid solar PV while in Utility First mode. While in bulk charge mode the current drops to a trickle (~0.5 A for ~ 700 Ah of battery) as battery SOC reaches 100%.

It's not specified in the manual what triggers it to move into float mode. Instead it will just hold the bulk charge voltage setting for hours until I change load source to SBU mode and it powers the home from the battery. Hence why I wondered about automating the bulk charge setting, but I don't think that's desirable as it shuts the MPPT down to reset.

I don't know why, but under that latest versions of iOS the graphs keep crashing out on the main page when I access it from a remote IP using the solar-assistant.io page.
I get a message where each graph should be that "SolarAssistant Pluggin Failed Chunkloader Failed loading Chunk 62 failed"
Oddly enough I don't get this message when I am on the Local IP.
Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
I don't know why, but under that latest versions of iOS the graphs keep crashing out on the main page when I access it from a remote IP using the solar-assistant.io page.
I get a message where each graph should be that "SolarAssistant Pluggin Failed Chunkloader Failed loading Chunk 62 failed"
Have you tried a different browser?

I opened SA on an older machine yesterday and it took some time to load the graphic display (apparently a plugin of some kind).

I haven’t seen any messages like that, however twice I’ve gotten a completely black screen on that app only. The last one was over a week ago. The only fix is to restart the iPhone. Twice the Pi froze data, luckily a remote reboot is doable and clears it. Every two weeks when the SA isn’t in the middle of an automated function I’ll do a reboot.

On mine with the latest iPhone iOS version it never works.
It used to work before Apple did the last upgrade,

No, but I will give that a try. I am using Safari.
What version update update do you have?
Mine is 17.1.2 It wants to update tonight to 17.2.1 The auto update has just been turned off until I know more. My addiction to SA has me needing.
Edit ; my phone is a pro 12 and also using Safari

Last edited:
There is a new beta build from 2023-12-18, but SA does not show the download/install option in the "Configuration/System" section like usual. My current installed version is the previous beta (2023-12-15). Any ideas?

There is a new beta build from 2023-12-18, but SA does not show the download/install option in the "Configuration/System" section like usual. My current installed version is the previous beta (2023-12-15). Any ideas?
Odd I see the same thing.
Wait for the next beta or email SA?

Back