diy solar

diy solar

Solar for DIY Electric Golf cart

Peterbylt

I am building an electric Golf cart type vehicle that will breakdown and store in the Luggage bay of my RV (Bus conversion)

I have the cart mostly figured out and built.

It will be able to easily carry two adults around a campground or resort, with some off-road capabilities.

When broken down for storage or transport everything (except the Solar panels) will go into the 24 in x 24 in x 42 in body of the cart, about the size of a large tote.

I would like to get some ideas on the best way to add solar to it.

It will have a 48 volt 100ah LifeP04 Battery powering it, might alternatively have a 48 volt 20ah Lithium Ion Bicycle battery. The main driving motors are two 48 volt, 20 inch eBike hubmotors.

I plan on putting Solar panels on a roof type structure that is easily disassembled and stored away.

The area of said roof is approx. 42 inches X 80 inches.

I know that I will not be able to produce much of a charge from that area, but I would like to get at least 400 watts.

I have researched quite a bit and found these panels

100 watt Solar panel

And this charge controller.

48 volt charge Controller

If I hook 4 of those panels in series to the charge controller do you think that will work?

I understand that one big 400+ watt panel would provide the wattage and also function as a roof but I don’t really have the space to easily store something like that when the cart is broken down for travel or storage, the smaller 100 watt panels can be stacked and stored away much easier.

Another option would be these flexible panels mounted to some plywood or other stiffener and clamped on the same way.

Flexible Solar panels

Should provide the same power either way?

Do you have any better suggestions?

I also need to create an easy to assemble frame that the panels can attach too that will be able to withstand at least 25 mph and also keep out most of the sun and rain when needed.

The current thought, using some of the stage lighting technology is to build two front to back 2 inch pipe frames and mount the 4 panels side to side attaching them to the pipe frame with Stage light clamps.

Stage lighting clamps

I would also like to incorporate a 120 volt inverter so the cart can be used as a self-propelled power station for camping, project, or backup power for the house.

Let me know your thoughts, Thank You

Peter

cartroof1.jpg

Avoid the flex panels, they would be disaster for moving on n off all the time, will break fast.
Yes, 4 100w panels seems your best option.
That is good price for 100w 12v panel. I have not researched this brand.
Look up EPever on ebay for better prices if you want save a few bucks.
I would consider making roof frame edges from angle iron (aluminum) so the panels will just sit in the frame and not slide off. Minimal anchoring will be needed to hold them from bouncing off if you hit a big hole. Steel is fine if weight not matter, and can you weld?
400 watts is fine, will not necessarily run the motors, but will add charge. Say you get 10-15 amp hours off them for 4-5 hrs a day parked, thats 40-75 amp hours per day of charge. If you deplete your batt completely then is way shy of 400am/12 volts. yea, I did math on 12, not 48, but same idea...

Maybe look at this solar charge controller.

Back