diy solar

diy solar

SolarPower, SmartESS, WatchPower mostly down

onobeka

Dear,

These apps seem to connect to the same source of information, where the data from the inverter is stored in the cloud. They have different GUIs yet the information is the same. SmartESS looks a bit more elaborated, however there is not really more information than the rest.

With all the downsides considered (6min latency update), they used to work fine until about two weeks ago. I had no issues seeing my inverter online. Sometimes when the apps would be started on the phone they would not log in (cloud platform issue probably). Recently however, this works every time yet most of the time when I check I see the device being offline. My inverter is an Easun iGrid IV with a built in wi-fi.
I've also encountered some months ago some issues with my Mikrotik wifi router, so I do not think the issue is related to my network. Before I put on my debug suit :), I was wondering if you guys experience the same. The house is a bit busy right now, so I cannot start disconnecting clients, finding out the IP address of the inverter (which is not shown in any app) and isolating the issue.

So, after countless debugging hours, installing a new AP almost glued to the inverter to solve a potential deauth issue seen in the logging of the mikrotik AP with claims that the signal is low, and seeing the same mostly disconnected messages on the newly installed AP, I've folded and went the solar assistant way. In my debugging I saw that while the Easun is able to connect to the internet (responds to ping on the LAN as well) the apps report it being still being down. Sometimes it's up but mostly was down. Also, the reported power production from solar in the apps is completely bonkers, some days when it has several connects disconnects it repots in the app a production of 160kWh, while I only have 4kWp :). Looking on the inverter screen, it reports a production of 4-5kWh. So, I've given up on the apps and the inverter wifi.

Bit of a late reply - but I've only just got in to solar!

I initially installed a PWM system that worked fine over RS232 with both Watchpower and MultiSIBcontrol. I then swapped it for a similar looking MPPT unit after being advised it would be much more efficient. I can't get this to work over RS232 to the PC at all but it does work with a WiFi adapter I bought on Amazon (branded WiFi Pro). I managed to get this registered through SmartESS and can also access it directly via browser at dessmonitor.com which has some decent features although a few quirks too.

What I'm wondering is if the RS232 protocols are compatible between the Watchpower/MultiSIBcontrol programs and the SmartESS app?
MultiSIBcontrol has a nice report feature that includes 'amount saved' so it would be good to be able to get the direct RS232 connection working again.

So wondering if you made any progress with your setup?

I've never cared for Watchpower or DessMonitor and could never get logged in to SmartESS.

I bit the bullet and went with Solar Assistant. Would never look back.

Back