diy solar

diy solar

SRNE ASF 10k inverter

Hey Jim any update, you still liking the inverter? also on the inverter does it have the ports for parallel connection or did they not add those? I know currently this inverter does not support parallel but they claim it will next year. Just wondering if they will update the firmware to make this function work
I am not sure about parallel. I do not believe so but it is hybrid so maybe it senses the power and parallels automatically. I have wondered a couple of time just not read into it.

Thanks for all of your testing and posts!!! I'm pretty interested even though I should probably just be looking at a 5k unit.

If your "wife is losing work", you should be putting a pure sine wave UPS in, imo... Then get fancy with the structure power without interrupting her workflow.

(good sale)

And I got a laugh out of your wife not wanting to lose time on the clocks!!! We definitely don't use AC hz driven clocks very much here, fortunately newer appliances usually let you blank the screen instead of the time display.
I have a cyber power pure sine ups it still only works for a short time. This really makes it indefinite with the 30kw batteries on that light load panel. Lol. When in doubt use a bigger hammer. ?

Purchased on AliExpress. SRNE was responsive and shipped fast. DHL was horrible, it took 12 days for them to put it on a truck from the airport (DFW).

Received today. Running pool pump from 230AH battery. Will add solar tomorrow and send an update.

So far I like it

Attachments

• 20221122_170505.jpg
    20221122_170505.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221122_170511.jpg
    20221122_170511.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20221122_170514.jpg
    20221122_170514.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221122_170518.jpg
    20221122_170518.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DHL.png
    DHL.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Purchased on AliExpress. SRNE was responsive and shipped fast. DHL was horrible, it took 12 days for them to put it on a truck from the airport (DFW).

Received today. Running pool pump from 230AH battery. Will add solar tomorrow and send an update.

So far I like it
How did it go with this inverter?
Has it been reliable???
Does it really give 10 kw correctly?

No issues to report. It has been in continuous operation since my original post. Currently it is supplying a 1.5hp pool pump and 4 ton / 14seer condensing unit (surestart equipped) and a few other small loads.

No issues to report. It has been in continuous operation since my original post. Currently it is supplying a 1.5hp pool pump and 4 ton / 14seer condensing unit (surestart equipped) and a few other small loads.
Are you using it wired to provide IOS power when grid goes down or wired for off-grid?

I’m interested in this inverter and would appreciate any more detail you can provide on how you have it wired, what functionality you have it programmed for, and what average and peak power levels you have excercised…

Are you using it wired to provide IOS power when grid goes down or wired for off-grid?

I’m interested in this inverter and would appreciate any more detail you can provide on how you have it wired, what functionality you have it programmed for, and what average and peak power levels you have excercised…
Off grid. I have not tested any grid tied functions.

The pool pump runs 8 hours a day. The ac 3-6 hours.
Starlink 24/7. Solar assistant 24/7. Lights, various low wattage chargers, and tools as needed.

Battery settings:
USER
CV 56
FLOAT 54

Off grid. I have not tested any grid tied functions.
Thanks. By ‘off-grid’ do you mean there is no grid connection to AC input or grid is connected but only used to supply power when battery is drained and there is no solar power available?
The pool pump runs 8 hours a day. The ac 3-6 hours.
Starlink 24/7. Solar assistant 24/7. Lights, various low wattage chargers, and tools as needed.
Any estimate of the peak output power it’s supplying?
Battery settings:
USER
CV 56
FLOAT 54
Most interested to understand how you’ve got it configured to handle power delivery once the battery is drained…

Your AC should consume a peak of about 6kW and you 1.5HP motor should consume only 1.1kW once running but could easily consume 4-5kW of startup surge.

So if your pump ever turns on when your AC is running, that’s a pretty strong endorsement of over 7kW continuous and 10-11kW of startup surge capability.

Color me impressed - it sounds like this budget AIO hybrid can actually deliver close to stated spec.

Thanks. By ‘off-grid’ do you mean there is no grid connection to AC input or grid is connected but only used to supply power when battery is drained and there is no solar power available?

Any estimate of the peak output power it’s supplying?

Most interested to understand how you’ve got it configured to handle power delivery once the battery is drained…
No grid connection --- no wires connected to the AC input.

Peak power on a normal day - approximately 7KW

I have tested it right up to the 10kw limit for 30min with out issues.

I have batt cut off configured at 48v

This inverter is DC coupled with other inverters and a chargeverter so the battery bank never gets low enough to reach the cutoff voltage.

There would be no power delivery below 48v.

So I sent them a few pictures and videos…

The above picture posted earlier by Jim1033 shows very concerning signs of overheating on the AC output wires.

I would appreciate any owners including codypilot to check their AC output wires when convenient and to report back as to whether they are any similar signs of overheating as well as what wire guage they used to wire the AC outputs.

No grid connection --- no wires connected to the AC input.
Cool, thanks. True offgrid!
Peak power on a normal day - approximately 7KW

I have tested it right up to the 10kw limit for 30min with out issues.
Fantastic, thanks.
I have batt cut off configured at 48v
OK, so the inverter powers off of battery until the battery is drained (if that ever happens) and then it shuts down until the battery voltage recovers to some voltage above 48V.
This inverter is DC coupled with other inverters and a chargeverter so the battery bank never gets low enough to reach the cutoff voltage.

There would be no power delivery below 48v.
I’m considering exactly the same configuration (also using a Chargeverter powered by grid to prevent battery from ever draining below LVD even on overcast / rainy days), so I’m very excited to learn about your experience with this inverter!

Can you tell me what wire gauge you used wiring up the AC output and how you protected those wires (what breaker size and located where)?

I’m also mullling a few different options for emergency bypass / disconnect solutions so I’d appreciate to understand whether you’ve wired up anything to provide grid power to the subpanel when the hybrid is out of service and if not, what your plan is for power-down and repair / replacement would be…

From what can be seen in the figure, this 10KW inverter is made with two 5KW inverters, one for each phase. I understand that it only allows a maximum load of 5 KW per phase, is that correct?

Attachments

• Foto1 Inversor PowMr.jpg
    Foto1 Inversor PowMr.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 8
8awg, 40amp breaker
Cool, thanks. True offgrid!

Fantastic, thanks.

OK, so the inverter powers off of battery until the battery is drained (if that ever happens) and then it shuts down until the battery voltage recovers to some voltage above 48V.

I’m considering exactly the same configuration (also using a Chargeverter powered by grid to prevent battery from ever draining below LVD even on overcast / rainy days), so I’m very excited to learn about your experience with this inverter!

Can you tell me what wire gauge you used wiring up the AC output and how you protected those wires (what breaker size and located where)?

I’m also mullling a few different options for emergency bypass / disconnect solutions so I’d appreciate to understand whether you’ve wired up anything to provide grid power to the subpanel when the hybrid is out of service and if not, what your plan is for power-down and repair / replacement would be…
8awg / 40 amp breaker

From what can be seen in the figure, this 10KW inverter is made with two 5KW inverters, one for each phase. I understand that it only allows a maximum load of 5 KW per phase, is that correct?
Correct if set to 230v. 5kw per leg.

It can also be configured for 120v output only at the full 10kw.

8awg, 40amp breaker

8awg / 40 amp breaker
Cool, thanks. So no signs of overheating with 8AWG passing 30A continuous and as much as 42A for 30 minutes.

8AWG is rated for up to 73A with chassis wiring but only 55A in conduit, but either should be OK for your average load of 30A and while 42A should only be put through 8AWG if it is it in conduit, 30 minutes is probably not enough time to trip your 40A breaker and is probably also not enough time to heat the wire up to the point it could start melting insulation (let alone become a fire hazard).

And the startup surge when your pump is starting is so short it is a non-issue.

So at least protected by a 40A breaker (rather than the 63A breaker SRNE suggests), 8AWG wiring for the AC output as well as the internal wiring looks to be fine…

I wonder how much current jim1033 was running through his AC output wires and for how long to cause the melted insulation his photo showed?

I assume those are also 8AWG wires but that would be good to confirm as well…

This inverter has a Neutral to Earth bond relay in the AC output, that activates when it is in battery mode???

Last edited:
This inverter has a Neutral to Earth bond relay in the AC output, that activates when it is in battery mode???
If this one has it, can it be disabled like the MPPSOLAR LV6548 inverter???
Good question but I believe you mean ‘offgrid / UPS’ mode rather than ‘battery mode’.

Actually, the clearest way to address these questions would be to refer to specific settings / modes as listed n the manual: https://www.srnesolar.com/wp-conten...ase_solar-charger-inverter_usermanual_1.4.pdf

Back