diy solar

diy solar

Suggestions for CAT5 surge protector

SniperX

Solar Enthusiast
Anyone have a brand they trust for internet/CAT5 cable protection for lightning strikes? I have had my internet modem blow 2x now due to lightning. We are totally off-grid so the only way it came to the modem was through the CAT5 cable.
I don't know what type to get. Wondered if anyone has a good suggestion? Appreciate it.

I use these for all of my outdoor PoE Ethernet cameras. Gas discharge tubes.
I keep them outside the house in a junction box with an 6 AWG ground wire.

You need a good ground. Nothing survives direct lightning strikes, indirect maybe.
Static buildup is definitely a thing as the angry clouds pass over.

These also pass PoE power reliably, but you probably don't care about that. I've purchased 6 of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Surge-Protector-Gigabit-1000Mbs/dp/B07GBLFFNK

If you want to spend big money on gas discharge + diodes, these guys will take your money.
https://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-cat6-data-line-lightning-surge-protectors
I have not tried them.

Last edited:
I use these for all of my outdoor PoE Ethernet cameras. Gas discharge tubes.
I keep them outside the house in a junction box with an 6 AWG ground wire.

You need a good ground. Nothing survives direct lightning strikes, indirect maybe.
Static buildup is definitely a thing as the angry clouds pass over.

These also pass PoE power reliably, but you probably don't care about that. I've purchased 6 of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Surge-Protector-Gigabit-1000Mbs/dp/B07GBLFFNK

If you want to spend big money on gas discharge + diodes, these guys will take your money.
https://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-cat6-data-line-lightning-surge-protectors
I have not tried them.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the suggestions.

I did a lot of research to protect my cameras and network, so I'm happy to pass it on.
Unfortunately, there are no guarantees about protecting from lightning, near misses, and ground pulses.

People usually recommend a layered protection approach.

So if you use these gas discharge protection devices,
also consider more conventional cheaper RJ45 ESD diode surge protectors
in-line to knock down any remaining zap. Like the APCProtectNet $29.

I've also installed whole house surge protectors in my two main panels for AC protection.
And lots of surge protector power strips in the house. Multiple layers of protection.

Multiple Midnite Solar MNSPD-300-DC-Protectors for my solar strings on ground mounts 220' from the house.
And where the PV conductors enter the house at the junction box.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research to protect my cameras and network, so I'm happy to pass it on.
Unfortunately, there are no guarantees about protecting from lightning, near misses, and ground pulses.

People usually recommend a layered protection approach.

So if you use these gas discharge protection devices,
also consider more conventional cheaper RJ45 ESD diode surge protectors
in-line to knock down any remaining zap. Like the APCProtectNet $29.

I've also installed whole house surge protectors in my two main panels for AC protection.
And lots of surge protector power strips in the house. Multiple layers of protection.

Multiple Midnite Solar MNSPD-300-DC-Protectors for my solar strings on ground mounts 220' from the house.
And where the PV conductors enter the house at the junction box.
I have some midnite solar devices I will be installing, I have empshields, (which is hooked to the main panel). I will be installing more emp shields for the batteries, the pv going to the inverter and inverter going to the panel, but that communication cord coming in from the internet is what is getting hit out by the road or something and traveling down to fry my modem. I think it is a temporary install and definitely not grounded. I have to see what kind of connection it has before I can order anything because I don't think it is ethernet (more like a phone line) and it is wifi, but I want to connect my schneider to it (insight) but not until I can figure out what is going on.

I used many Polyphaser surge protection devices over the years, excellent quality.
Grounding and bonding are very important for these to work.

Lightning is so bad here, I gave up on metallic conductors for low voltage circuits,
went to fiber-optic cable instead.
I am in Florida as well. Big bend area. I am trying to get this figured out before I start connecting things because this is the 2nd strike in 3 months! I will investigate your suggestions. Thanks. I need to find out if you have any builds for your system posted. I have all the same things as you, just not hooked up.

Off-grid, so you have no utility power or data/phone/cable coming in from the street-side.

Decades ago when we bought this place, a lightning strike zapped all the phones, tv's computers,
microwave, etc.

I subsequently implemented UL 1449 - three layers.

This is on the incoming power/cable/phone:

One of these on each panel and transfer switch, including inside the Schneider PDP:

Last, the receptacles powering important things get one of these:

No more damage after 3 decades. I paid special attention to grounding and bonding.
Note these devices are to be considered "consumables".
They degrade a little with each event, so must me monitored and replaced occasionally.

Separate from the house, I have a shed w/ HAM radio gear in it.
Antennas are static magnets.
So I implemented some of Motorola R56 "halo" ground system around the building, bonded everything to it, including the Schneider gear in the shed.

(Where I worked, we had all the 911 radio towers installed by Motorola, and the full implementation of R56 was something only a government budget could sustain.)

Off-grid, so you have no utility power or data/phone/cable coming in from the street-side.

Decades ago when we bought this place, a lightning strike zapped all the phones, tv's computers,
microwave, etc.

I subsequently implemented UL 1449 - three layers.

This is on the incoming power/cable/phone:

One of these on each panel and transfer switch, including inside the Schneider PDP:

Last, the receptacles powering important things get one of these:

No more damage after 3 decades. I paid special attention to grounding and bonding.
Note these devices are to be considered "consumables".
They degrade a little with each event, so must me monitored and replaced occasionally.

Separate from the house, I have a shed w/ HAM radio gear in it.
Antennas are static magnets.
So I implemented some of Motorola R56 "halo" ground system around the building, bonded everything to it, including the Schneider gear in the shed.

(Where I worked, we had all the 911 radio towers installed by Motorola, and the full implementation of R56 was something only a government budget could sustain.)
I was just looking at the Schneider 1175 due to DavePoz referencing it. Amazon is cheaper (imagine since they are getting more expensive on certain items) Just in case anyone else is following, here is the amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a8e223b92d8b1&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Back