diy solar

diy solar

Surviving on a short bus

Wandererrr

I made a post asking about how I should go about heating my short skoolie. I got a lot of help so thank you guys so much. I think I’m going to go with a wood stove and vent it out the window somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions for some?

Now the problem is using a 1500w electric burner and 1500w toaster oven/air fryer for meals, and a 1000w electric kettle for tea a few minutes a day.
Would a Jackery solar generator be a good option just for just those? If so, which one?

This is the post I made before:

In sticky situation because a lot popped up before completing a system that could work for the amount of power needed. I thought I had everything in order properly but I guess I went wrong somewhere and now I don't have the power needed for proper heating and the weathers getting cold.

Different people gave us different information but I did the best I could with what I started with, and what info I tried to diligently follow online.

I have 2 Renogy 100w 12v solar panels, 3 Renogy 12v 100ah lifepo4 batteries, a 3000w continuous 6000w surge Homkeep inverter, and a 30a Renogy charge controller.
The charge controller is connected to the batteries with #10 wires, and the batteries are connected to each other and the inverter with #2 wires.

But this setup isn't powerful enough to power 1500w devices that are necessary such as a space heater, electric burner, and air fryer/toaster oven.

So what do I need to get or change to survive in this skoolie? I've heard plenty of hate saying I shouldn't be doing any of this if I don't know what I'm doing, but I don't have a choice as I'm just trying to survive.

Should I get a Jackery solar generator with a portable solar panel, more solar panels and a new charge controller, more batteries? Something else?

What do I need to power a 1500w space heater up to 6hrs a day, in addition to using a 1500w electric burner up to an hour a day, and a 1500w air fryer/toaster oven up to an hour a day.
I don't want a generator because I don't want to use more gasoline and because of the noise, but if it's the only option then I will.

Now the problem is using a 1500w electric burner and 1500w toaster oven/air fryer for meals, and a 1000w electric kettle for tea a few minutes a day.
How many minutes each? What is the total watt hours?

Would a Jackery solar generator be a good option just for just those?
How many watt hours does this hold and what is the max wattage it can deliver?

Just for survival. A wood/coal stove. A decent one is not super cheap. I like my tiny tot. It will heat up my little insulated cargo trailer nicely for 4-6 hours on a slow burning load. The little grizzly cubic are nice also. You can vent out the roof. It just takes some work.

I burn coal (lump oak charcoal) from costco because it burns evenly and politely. Wood will pop and spark but is often free.

You are in New England so you probably genetically know a lot more about wood stoves than me. And there are probably lots of used or home made to be had.

1000% need a CO detector or you can die pretty easily.

For cooking, I think the plan to use an air fryer isn’t great. Maybe you can make it work.

The goal is hot food.

This is cheap and works great. Price the canisters at an asian market.

All the best.

IMG_0052.jpeg

How many minutes each? What is the total watt hours?

How many watt hours does this hold and what is the max wattage it can deliver?
I’d estimate a max of an hour a day for the burner and oven, and 10min max for the kettle.
So would that mean I would need a jackery that’s at least 3,167wh? Did I do that right? That sounds crazy. The max I see they have is 3,024wh. Which I could make work if I have to, but is that right?

I just don’t think you are ever, ever, going to get where you need to be with solar. Time may be better spend on other avenues.

I’d estimate a max of an hour a day for the burner and oven, and 10min max for the kettle.
So would that mean I would need a jackery that’s at least 3,167wh? Did I do that right? That sounds crazy. The max I see they have is 3,024wh. Which I could make work if I have to, but is that right?
You didn't show your math but it sounds close.

I just don’t think you are ever, ever, going to get where you need to be with solar. Time may be better spend on other avenues.
I’m trying to be as eco-friendly as possible but have almost no time. Why do you think a Jackery solar generator for food and a wood stove for heat wouldn’t work?

If you are in a situation and need heat, sell your solar stuff and regroup for next year. I wouldn’t attempt anything with solar in New England during the winter. There’s not much sun to work with. And there’s an environmental cost to a bunch of solar, electronics, and batteries. Esp. if they don’t get you where you need to be.

Sorry to be so frank. People come here with target fixation and miss the big picture.

I hope things work out for you.

Have you looked into a diesel heater for your bus?
Super popular, they work very well and can pull from your main fuel tank so it's easy to store.

@Wandererrr

I second the diesel heater.

I bought this exact heater

It seems to be of high quality, especially for $83!
The thermostat talks to you when there is a problem. Crazy. No need to look up error codes! It says what is wrong.

I bench tested it for 20 minutes using a 5 gallon tank of diesel. It really sips the fuel.

It puts out 8KW which is 27K btu. A gallon of diesel has about 140,000 btu of heat content so 140/27 = about 5 hours per gallon running all of the time. The exhaust tube and muffler (not really needed) is stainless steel. That tank is 2.5 gallon and meant to be screwed to a bulkhead/vertical panel.

I don't think you can beat it for $83. The money you save buying this vs a wood stove, which requires constant tending, will allow you to buy a lot of diesel. When it is running the exhaust gases are clear. Zero smoke.

They also make a unit contained in a steel housing with the tank built in. But that still requires at least an exhaust hole to get the exhaust out of your bus.

@Wandererrr

I second the diesel heater.

I bought this exact heater

It seems to be of high quality, especially for $83!
The thermostat talks to you when there is a problem. Crazy. No need to look up error codes! It says what is wrong.

I bench tested it for 20 minutes using a 5 gallon tank of diesel. It really sips the fuel.

It puts out 8KW which is 27K btu. A gallon of diesel has about 140,000 btu of heat content so 140/27 = about 5 hours per gallon running all of the time. The exhaust tube and muffler (not really needed) is stainless steel. That tank is 2.5 gallon and meant to be screwed to a bulkhead/vertical panel.

I don't think you can beat it for $83. The money you save buying this vs a wood stove, which requires constant tending, will allow you to buy a lot of diesel. When it is running the exhaust gases are clear. Zero smoke.

They also make a unit contained in a steel housing with the tank built in. But that still requires at least an exhaust hole to get the exhaust out of your bus.
5 hours to a gallon seems like way to much.. I have had a 5kw diesel air heater for my 3 season porch (which is a 500 sq ft room built between the house and garage and connects the two). This will be the 4th season using it.
It runs from December 1st to about march 15th. Non stop not even to refuel it. On #1setting.. #2 setting when it gets really cold out.. I get at least 30 hours on that 2.5 gallon tank.. Wandererr It still will be fairly expensive depending on how long you actually run it but they do sip fuel for sure. Also where would you store firewood enough for a winter ?

Last edited:
Read the title as was expecting a discussion on short bus bars. I'm not sure how comfortable I am talking about how short my bus bar is. Lets just say it works and gets the job done.

I would second the wood heat. I would consider a small watts exhaust blower and go for a small stove and good heat extraction. You could survive burning cardboard. You can use simpler tubing for the flue gases. I have built wood heaters that use PVC for the exhaust. You can get an inducer blower scraped from a furnace that uses maybe 60 watts

5 hours to a gallon seems like way to much.. I have had a 5kw diesel air heater for my 3 season porch (which is a 500 sq ft room built between the house and garage and connects the two). This will be the 4th season using it.
It runs from December 1st to about march 15th. Non stop not even to refuel it. On #1setting.. #2 setting when it gets really cold out.. I get at least 30 hours on that 2.5 gallon tank.. Wandererr It still will be fairly expensive depending on how long you actually run it but they do sip fuel for sure. Also where would you store firewood enough for a winter ?

If a heater puts out 28,000 btu of heat and there is 140,000 btu of energy in a gallon of diesel, or about that and you run the heater at max heat constantly, you can only get 140,000/28,000 hours of heat out of the heater, max. The fact that the heater is not 100% efficient means it will run fewer hours than if it was 100% efficient. You don't need to run the heater 100% of the time. It has a thermostat. But if its zero outside and there is little to no insulation in that bus, that heater will be running constantly unless they have the thermostat at 32 degrees or so. And that's a bit nippy.

Hopefully the bus has some insulation?? Otherwise I would be tempted to fuel the bus and drive to the southern states. But then they will likely need AC! :rolleyes: I don't know how you can put a woodstove in a short bus without giving up 20% of the space to the stove and wood.
Plus wood stoves, unless they are airtight and sized just right, (which means expensive!) need constant tending. Every two hours would not be a lot.

Read the title as was expecting a discussion on short bus bars. I'm not sure how comfortable I am talking about how short my bus bar is. Lets just say it works and gets the job done.

Well technically speaking, what's really important in a bus bar is it's diameter, it's amp capacity, length is just for show ?

Plus wood stoves, unless they are airtight and sized just right, (which means expensive!) need constant tending. Every two hours would not be a lot.

We were talking in wandererrrs other thread, it REALLY depends who's doing the stoking

My log burner holds over night every night, it is neither airtight nor sized correctly.

I knew an old man who lived in a garage with a tiny log burner, he'd keep that in all night with a hand full of coal and a log or two... Sometimes he'd have to top up in the night but not often

Real fires certainly aren't as convenient as modern heating that you can turn on/up/down at the press of a button... but if you know what you're doing they're not that hard to keep over night

I don't know how you can put a woodstove in a short bus without giving up 20% of the space to the stove and wood.
Possible it's not as common in the states as it is in the UK ? but loads of us here have a log burner in a campervan, not everyone but it's very popular (and our vans are a LOT smaller than yours ?)

Generally no one stores logs for a whole winter though, they buy in small amounts as the year goes on , or collect twigs and branches from the woods (it's free ! )

Stock pic from the internet:
Screenshot-2020-05-16-at-14.55.11.png

Last edited:
Back