diy solar

diy solar

Terrible Signature Solar / EG4 18Kpv Experience - Returning and Replaced with Sol-Ark 15k

The 18Kpv is rated on continuous output of 13.5Kw for 10 minutes without pv (backup/UPS mode which would be battery only). What is the continuous load for longer than 10 minutes solely off battery? The spec sheet doesn't indicate what that rating is.

Are you referring to peak power/surge? Or continuous output?

I had to seek clarification, a propane tankless water heater uses very little electricity. So little that it being on is almost irrelevant. An electric one on the other hand, would have been a Christmas miracle. ?

Now the well pump, I have no idea on.
Yes!, I went with propane and tankless to lower electric bill.

I was rebuilding my system today and I put the 18KPV CTs on backwards. With my current settings, it made it seem like my system was exporting to the grid (no solar connected and the battery was at LVD) instead of powering my loads.

It also showed on the screen that it was exporting. When it wasn't. It was drawing power from the grid, not exporting.

I then switched the CTs into the proper position, and with my current settings, power was diverted from the grid to my loads.

It seems like regardless of what the inverter is doing or where power is coming from, the CTs determine what is logged and shown on the display.

Last edited:
Here is the data:

Screenshot_20230816_211119_EG4 Monitor.jpg
It showed power going out to grid but without any source. No solar or battery availability. Then I switched the CTs and you will notice that the grid consumption flipped and powered the loads.

@Markus_SignatureSolar
This could explain people thinking there is exportation when there isn't. And the reverse CT setting could make people think that the CTs are in the proper direction

Last edited:
Here is the data:

View attachment 163144
It showed power going out to grid but without any source. No solar or battery availability. Then I switched the CTs and you will notice that the grid consumption flipped and powered the loads.

@Markus_SignatureSolar
This could explain people thinking there is exportation when there isn't. And the reverse CT setting could make people think that the CTs are in the property direction
This happens a lot actually. It can show grid feed back when it’s supplying loads.

The CTs are really important to use if you have grid connected.

The direction of the CTs is also very important arrows towards the inverter.

The CTs are marked L1 goes the Line 1 and L2 goes to Line 2. This will show the opposite of what’s happening if you have the phases wrong. It’s easy for this to happen also easy to fix.

So be aware when you set the CTs up and how you install them otherwise you will get false readings.

Someone could try what happens when L1 and L2 CTs are swapped and you have an imbalance in loads on each split phase. Would be an interesting experiment.

I was rebuilding my system today and I put the 18KPV CTs on backwards. With my current settings, it made it seem like my system was exporting to the grid (no solar connected and the battery was at LVD) instead of powering my loads.

It also showed on the screen that it was exporting. When it wasn't. It was drawing power from the grid, not exporting.

I then switched the CTs into the proper position, and with my current settings, power was diverted from the grid to my loads.

It seems like regardless of what the inverter is doing or where power is coming from, the CTs determine what is logged and shown on the display.
But this is like Hybrid inverter lesson 101.
If you mention this problem to Sol-Ark as so many people have done they tell you right away to check the direction of the CTs or to turn on the Auto setting that will reverse the data coming into the Inverter.
it’s hard to imagine multiple SS techs not checking for that problem. Also if they were reversed then his data shows a lot more than 300W back feeding the grid.

Last edited:
Solark automatically corrects the direction of CTs. At least that is what the manual says.
Maybe someone can make that happen with EG4
Not that I know off, the Deye's and sunsynk's I've had in my hands don't either..
They try to correct it through software, but that is a bit flacky
Point is, place the CT's correct, or use something like an eastron inline meter ( more accurate anyway)

Not that I know off, the Deye's and sunsynk's I've had in my hands don't either..
They try to correct it through software, but that is a bit flacky
Point is, place the CT's correct, or use something like an eastron inline meter ( more accurate anyway)
You're right. Mine worked right from the start.
I thought I saw somewhere it could auto correct. But it appears I was mistaken.
"Auto detect home Limit Sensor" here it is from the 15K manual -
1692270539942.png

Last edited:
I take no joy in writing this, I sincerely wanted to love this new inverter and to support an active business on the forum, but I cannot sit silently and pretend this unit is "flawless" and anywhere near ready for the real world. I am not alone, I have received many messages from other members with their own struggles, we've all seen threads and it needs to be addressed.

After weeks of what I'd call nothing short of a circus, the new EG4 18Kpv is heading back to Signature Solar in a Sol-Ark 15k box and I'm asking Visa to step in and handle the refund. Very long and detailed story to follow, but the short version is this:

I took a chance on the latest and greatest from Signature Solar and I've been beyond disappointed every step of the way. The hardware fit and finish is great, I'd argue better than the Sol-Ark, but the software, support and attitude from specific members of their organization are utterly pathetic. In time I imagine they can fix things, but as of right now, I'd highly suggest considering another platform and company altogether. The software difference between the EG4 and Sol-Ark is like comparing a Nokia flip phone of the early 2000's to a modern day iPhone, they are worlds apart. With the EG4 you're asking it to do things and hoping for a positive outcome, with the Sol-Ark it's well documented, easy to follow and does exactly what you want 100% of the time. If you value your time and sanity, the decision is easy. I will however say the online monitoring and app for the EG4 18Kpv are great, very graphically attractive.

Remember, I'm just a guy on the internet, but I do hope you'll consider I have many years of experience working on dozens of systems with the leading manufacturers in the industry. I am not new to any of this, I am a licensed contractor and my work focuses in the IT and tech space. I am well aware that customers are often the source of problems with technical equipment like this, but in this instance, I can assure you that is not the case. Wrap your mind around this:

EVERY SINGLE ISSUE I HAD WAS IMMEDIATELY SOLVED WHEN THE UNIT WAS REPLACED BY A SOL-ARK 15K.

My entire goal was the following: Never under any circumstance backfeed the grid, period. The only other major sticking point I had was to peak shave from 3-9pm, then recharge battery bank after 10pm. These are not wild ideas, this isn't some lofty goal, this is exactly what the unit is advertised to do.

First problem: I get the unit installed and try to configure the app/wifi dongle and I'm met with an error, 4 days of no response from Signature Solar and it ends up being fixed by Gilbert from Luxpower. The dongle seemingly was never registered on their servers and needed back end work to begin functioning. There was nothing that could be done on the customer side. I was also given different Customer Codes for registration by different employees.

Once up and running, my sole support for a week was from Gilbert. They seem to have a quasi relationship with him helping diagnose customer issues, but not really working for them. He was always great and very helpful, but clearly had his limitations. Not that he was unqualified in any way, but there was only so much he could actually do with the inverter, everything was always a compromise and lots of, "it's not perfect, this is just how it works". For example, he got the 3-9pm peak shaving semi-functional right off the bat, except it would always pull roughly 10% of it's output power from the grid and the switchover time would (in his own words) happen + or - 8 minutes from the time it was programmed. How a computer decides to drift I do not know, but he didn't have any explanation.

After days of attempted fixes and me speaking to multiple Signature Solar employees, I noticed each person didn't really understand how to make it work. Not because they weren't smart, but because they truly didn't know, nor share any continuity of answers. One employee would tell me solution A would work, then another would be completely contradictory and say solution B would work, neither of which solved the problem. It legitimately was a guess and check situation, and more than once lead to the inverter back feeding the grid.

Second problem: I was never able to install or connect solar panels to the system because my inspector basically laughed at me when he asked about a remote rapid shutdown device. I had the 18Kpv installed in my garage and both CAT6 and 14/2 from the unit to the main service panel for a remote disconnect switch. After asking no less than (4) times both via direct message and email, I never once received a response. I've seen it addressed in other threads as, "we have a white paper coming soon". I've even seen other members posting how they've temporarily rigged up a solution. The manual CLEARLY states this can be done, but has absolutely no direction as to how to do it. There is no pinout, no clue, other than a crude drawing in the manual (there's nowhere to connect said switch, those two spots on the board don't exist). My inspector had serious doubts to say the least, and made it clear that no panels should be connected to the system until a remote rapid shutdown switch could be installed and tested. During this time I'm receiving messages from other forum members that are having differing forms of issues and some expressing how they feel lucky they got their unit at a "substantial discount", which really just twists the knife!
View attachment 161043

At this point I reached out to Markus from Signature solar via the forums and expressed the situation, his initial messages were very reasonable:
View attachment 161044

He then goes on to offer a full refund, and I express I want to see it work and am willing to help however I can (trust me, I had ZERO desire to take the thing back down, buy another inverter, hang it, redo an expensive wire way, rewire everything, ship the old one back etc.). I was financially invested and hoped for positive results:

View attachment 161048

At that point I went camping for the weekend, here's where we picked up. The old firmware he is referring to is the firmware that Gilbert had installed and stated was what helped eliminate grid backfeed (my number one concern).

View attachment 161049
View attachment 161052
View attachment 161051

The next morning I receive an email from Ty at Signature Solar. He's apparently been tasked with handling this situation.

View attachment 161053
So I naturally responded with as much detail as I could, stressing the need to not backfeed the grid, at this point I'm trying to remain hopeful, maybe this person fixes everything and I become a happy customer.

View attachment 161054

The next messages to Markus show how well that went. It was becoming a disaster quickly.

View attachment 161055
View attachment 161056

(limit of 10 attachments reached, I'll post the rest in the first comment).
i was on the fence between the two units, just commissioned the solark 15k with sok batteries in an afternoon. zero regrets. works exactly as it should with little help needed from current connected on the battery settings for discharge. 100% satisfied. i ordered two eg4 2 ton mini splits and they show up next month. will see how that experience goes.

From what I've been told all utility companies here in usa, are switching out for smart meters at some point. I live in a rual area and my utility replaced mine with a smart meter this past April. It continuously go's through a series of viewing settings showing the build number followed by 3 other steps : DEL =( total delivery) DMD = receive today REC = EXPORT. I was there when they installed it as they said it will show back feeding grid as well. My point here is some do some don't have these smart meters and this is a definite way to show if your back feeding or not.

Last edited:
You're right. Mine worked right from the start.
I thought I saw somewhere it could auto correct. But it appears I was mistaken.
"Auto detect home Limit Sensor" here it is from the 15K manual -
View attachment 163155
Wondering if either EG18 or Sol-Ark implements this function that limits the maximum grid feed in at CT?
For example. Max grid feed (at CT)is set to5kW and grid attached load 7kW, an inverter limits its output to 5+7kW.

It is awesome to see all of the decisions the Solark is making all of the time. I crack up when people say they want to use separate components so they can make all of the decisions. lol
I like my 15K for that reason, it just does the job. It knows how to work together because it's built together. I get that if one internal component has an issue, the whole unit is down, but that's what support is for.

i was on the fence between the two units, just commissioned the solark 15k with sok batteries in an afternoon. zero regrets. works exactly as it should with little help needed from current connected on the battery settings for discharge. 100% satisfied. i ordered two eg4 2 ton mini splits and they show up next month. will see how that experience goes.
Exactly how my install went, same products too!

It is awesome to see all of the decisions the Solark is making all of the time. I crack up when people say they want to use separate components so they can make all of the decisions. lol
Auto correct is -as said- flacky at best.
So always make sure they are on correct

From what I've been told all utility companies here in usa, are switching out for smart meters at some point. I live in a rual area and my utility replaced mine with a smart meter this past April. It continuously go's through a series of viewing settings showing the build number followed by 3 other steps : DEL =( total delivery) DMD = receive today REC = EXPORT. I was there when they installed it as they said it will show back feeding grid as well. My point here is some do some don't have these smart meters and this is a definite way to show if your back feeding or not.
does DMD show kw or kwh? my demand shows kw, the highest amount of instantaneous power I used per billing cycle

diy solar

diy solar
Back