diy solar

diy solar

Terrible Signature Solar / EG4 18Kpv Experience - Returning and Replaced with Sol-Ark 15k

Speaking of UL9540, your listing of the SOK batteries indicates that listing is pending. If it’s a battery/inverter combination requirement, what inverter are they being certified with?

I’m already using the SOK batteries so the answer likely won’t have any effect on me, I just wonder what that process is looking like. I wasn’t aware until recently that it was a combination of products rather than individual products with listings being used together.
Sol-Ark - the 18k wasn't out when we started testing, otherwise we would have likely done both.

Initially, we had the opportunity to buy the inverters directly from Luxpower at a much better price and I turned the offer down.

I was interested until I found that EG4 has specific (exclusive) customizations, such as proper hand-ties on the breakers (very important for code/safety), a properly sized wiring compartment, UL9540 with reasonably priced batteries in the works, and to top it off a much bigger pull on Luxpower to get firmware issues fixed than if I was doing it on my own. EG4 also has much higher product turnover so any revisions come through to the end consumers far quicker than if I was doing a container at a time.

Our mentality in business is to provide solutions to our customers, not just lists of products that suck or have shortcomings...so why take on all that financial responsibility to offer a lesser quality inverter that hasn't had all the important fixes applied, just to save a add a few bucks in profit? We rather carry the best products (and versions of it) possible so our customers are taken care of as best as possible.

We also are signed on with Fortress Power and can list their batteries and version of the same inverter if we wanted to...but has anyone seen the price on the Fortress batteries lately? To be certified to UL9540, you have to pair batteries with inverter, so by buying their inverter you are stuck with their batteries to be code compliant.

I wouldn't sleep at night upselling a customer a battery/brand that costs twice as much as it should, which adds no benefit over the EG4 option and has a FAR higher self consumption (I forget how many watts per battery, but there is a long drawn out debate thread on this forum). At those prices, it's a money grab, not a solution...and solutions are all we care about.
How about offer the cheaper version from luxpower directly as well, with an explanation of the differences and let those who value lower cost purchase the cheaper version?

It'll eventually happen anyway.

How about offer the cheaper version from luxpower directly as well, with an explanation of the differences and let those who value lower cost purchase the cheaper version?

It'll eventually happen anyway.
Because they have identical MAPs (Minimum Advertised Prices). So the end consumer doesn't get a price break.

See:

Because they have identical MAPs (Minimum Advertised Prices). So the end consumer doesn't get a price break.

See:
Good ol’ MAP pricing!

Then you get to play the “add to cart to see our price” or “item bundled with another item” to get a “discount” game.

I understand the idea of MAP pricing, and deal with it often, but it has its limits of utility in the real world.

Generally speaking, I’d suggest anyone dealing with a product that has the same price everywhere, call the retailer, you’ll often do a bit better.

That's really the problem with it. The combo requirement is absolute horse crap.
One of the few times in life where I feel lucky for having problems. Had I not had the issues with the 18k and changed to a sol-ark I’d have been “out of compliance”. Seems dumb to me, but I’ll take the luck where I can get it.

IM SHOCKED you got ANYONE to answer the phone not once but multiple times.

I held for HOURS 4 days in a row, left messages and cussed them to sunday for their crappy CS. I never did talk to anyone nor did I get a call back.

WONT EVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN, EVER!

So 33 pages later am I still supposed to avoid the EG4 18Kpv?
Obviously I have a specific point of view based on this thread. I wouldn’t avoid the product as much as I’d avoid the company.

I’ve seen far too many additional people having similar “lack of help” experiences.

See:

Each vendor literally has the power of direct discounts and negotiation.
Lots of other hybrid brands all have MAP, you call up and haggle if you have time and odds are if you’re buying a lot they will cut you a deal.

We run coupons and other deals all the time that don’t directly serve to drive google traffic to us.

Victron famously rewrote their MAP policy after we took a “see price in cart” approach because we thought the markup was way too high. Now if someone calls looking to deal on them we always do.

MAP arrangements are exactly that, advertising agreements.

I think most people would be good just buying in through current connected if they need fast customer service and support. Signature solar will get the problems fixed eventually, but it takes a lot more time.
I agree. The only way I would be anything with EG4 on it would be thru current connected if it was me from what I have read on here.

I held for HOURS 4 days in a row, left messages and cussed them to sunday for their crappy CS. I never did talk to anyone nor did I get a call back.

That doesn’t make sense, pls DM your number so the call map can be tracked

Will literally post the phone dashboard here next week when I get back in.

When we get to the last days of a sale the lines get plugged, we can’t triple staff for 3 days.

Recently we’ve be extending sales to mitigate the issue.

Also looking to live chat for faster knock out of support.

I’m against getting the Philippines or India involved to serve overflow. Would take opinions on that tho.

When we get to the last days of a sale the lines get plugged, we can’t triple staff for 3 days.

Recently we’ve be extending sales to mitigate the issue.

Also looking to live chat for faster knock out of support.

I’m against getting the Philippines or India involved to serve overflow. Would take opinions on that tho.
Whoever EcoFlow hired for customer support is doing a good job. I would try to find out who they are. Most of the overseas support for offgrid products is just awful. But some are a lot better than others.

Can you post your call log showing four hours on hold? Just a quick screenshot

So 33 pages later am I still supposed to avoid the EG4 18Kpv?
No go for it.
It has been very sturdy electrically and the firmware (1413) is catching up nicely. I can now say I highly recommend it.
It is a great product and I am sure as more people become familiar with it and the documentation improves, the support of it will get much better.
I got paid sweet FA to post this !!!!

Back