diy solar

diy solar

Three way LED light switch?

Ryujin

Solar Enthusiast
Hello there again, thanks for all the insight you've all given me thus far. Finished hooking up a 24 V solar system a couple days ago, decided to give it a go and have run our tiny house off it the past 24 hours. Last night seemed decent- even with some graphic intensive stuff on my laptop til 1 am the battery didn't drop below 92% according to the shunt. Feeling a bit more confident that this system will do what we need it to do. :)

Anyway, my question is this: What would cause an LED light mounted in the ceiling on a dual 3-way switch to slightly glow despite being turned off? We literally were on a long extension cord prior, I simply swapped the extension cord into the inverter instead of the grid. I never had any glowing on this light prior, and none of the other LED lights seem to do this- I suspect it has something to do with the 3 way switch- its the only one in our house. I'm not sure its relevant, but the inverter is a 3000W Vevor, it claims its Pure Sine (I want an oscilloscope).

Thanks for any insight!

(I have another unrelated question I will make a new post for)

Doubtful that a standard 3 way switch would cause this. More likely a capacitance effect somewhere in the circuit that is keeping the bulb dimly glowing as it slowly bleeds off.

Doubtful that a standard 3 way switch would cause this. More likely a capacitance effect somewhere in the circuit that is keeping the bulb dimly glowing as it slowly bleeds off.
What would make this effect happen when hooked to the invertor but not the grid? My grounding does need to be gone over and possibly reconfigured.

Adding to the above.
The inverter probably is coupling its high frequency pwm pulses to the circuit, causing the LED to light up dimly.

A three way mechanical switch will have no effect on LED bulb.

A triac based remote control switch may.

LED light bulbs usually have a high current crest factor at voltage peak of sinewave with a resultant low power factor. The inverter output voltage feedback control and/or PWM filter may not like this. It needs some wiring line resistance to smooth out the peak current surges at sinewave peaks.

It can also be high frequency noise directly on output of inverter that is getting into LED DC to DC converter corrupting its operation. Try putting a multiple plug power strip with EMI filtering between inverter and LED light bulb. Most have common mode EMI filters that may not help much. A clamp on ferrite collar choke on just the hot L line from inverter will provide better filtering.

ZCAT1325-0530A.jpg

Last edited:
A three way mechanical switch will have no effect on LED bulb.

A triac based remote control switch may.

LED light bulbs usually have a high current crest factor at voltage peak of sinewave with a resultant low power factor. The inverter output voltage feedback control and/or PWM filter may not like this. It needs some wiring line resistance to smooth out the peak current surges at sinewave peaks.

It can also be high frequency noise directly on output of inverter that is getting into LED DC to DC converter corrupting its operation. Try putting a multiple plug power strip with EMI filtering between inverter and LED light bulb. Most have common mode EMI filters that may not help much. A clamp on ferrite collar choke on just the hot L line from inverter will provide better filtering.

ZCAT1325-0530A.jpg
Would thise ferrite collar clamp just be installed on the hot, on the outside of the wire insulation? Could I just put it in the wall prior to the 3 way or would it have to go on the whole system? I wish I could say I learn about something new every day on this website, but its more like every time I log in, which is multiple times a day. Definitely never have even heard of this ferrite collar thing.

Update:
When our tiny house was on the grid via an extension cord from a main panel, the main panel was bonded neutral and ground. When we switched to our solar, we no longer had that bonding at the inverter. Bonding the ground and neutral in the tiny houses sub panel seemd to take care of this problem.

Back