diy solar

diy solar

Too Powerful of a Generator for EG4 Chargeverter

Ghostritor

I have a new Duromax 13000EH generator. Using propane, its output is 41.56 amps @240v. I confirmed with Duromax that the generator will not reduce amp output if I connect it to a lower load such as the EG4 Chargeverter with its maximum input amps set for 26 amps @240v; therefore, I'm assuming that the chargeverter will be overloaded. In lieu of buying a smaller generator with lower amp output, is their another solution available that would allow me to use the larger generator? Although I'm at the novice level, I plan on buying EG4 batteries and inverters to install 100% off-grid energy on my 38.5 acres of raw land here in Arizona. Since I will not be on the grid, I need a backup solution to keep the batteries charged in case of extended inclement weather. Any advice is much appreciated.

Any generator must be able to reduce output to match load or it will burn up or worse when it starts with no load. IIUC, 42A is within what a 28A draw device is required to be designed to take as an upsteam overcurrent fault device, so just make sure the plug matches.

That generator is a bit larger than the CV can likely run at near peak efficiency, but if your batteries are big enough you could run two CVs. Running only one won't harm either the CV or the generator. At worst, the generator fuel efficiency will go down slightly.

I'm probably wording it different than @TorC or @Gavin Stone but saying the same thing: There is no such thing as a minimum current out of a generator. If you turn off all the loads connected to a generator, it is putting out 0 amps. The generator will put out as much as a load will consume, up to the upper limit of the generator. But there is no lower limit.

Also, with that big of a generator, you could probably skip the external charger all together and just let the EG4 inverter/charger function as a charger.

I'm not an EG4 expert, but it is an inverter/charger.

Any generator must be able to reduce output to match load or it will burn up or worse when it starts with no load. IIUC, 42A is within what a 28A draw device is required to be designed to take as an upsteam overcurrent fault device, so just make sure the plug matches.

That generator is a bit larger than the CV can likely run at near peak efficiency, but if your batteries are big enough you could run two CVs. Running only one won't harm either the CV or the generator. At worst, the generator fuel efficiency will go down slightly.
I'll get a clamp meter to verify the outputs from the generator based on varying loads. That's also what I believe, because what Duromax told me doesn't seem right. The two CV solution sounds good. Thanks for your insight.

Maybe I’m just not understanding the question correctly. But the output amperage of the generator is always going to depend on the device being used. If the chargereverter uses 26 amps at 240v. Then that’s all the generator will be supply
Maybe I’m just not understanding the question correctly. But the output amperage of the generator is always going to depend on the device being used. If the chargereverter uses 26 amps at 240v. Then that’s all the generator will be supplying.
Understood. Thanks

Maybe I’m just not understanding the question correctly. But the output amperage of the generator is always going to depend on the device being used. If the chargereverter uses 26 amps at 240v. Then that’s all the generator will be supplying.
This appears to be the consensus of all of the responders. Thanks

Also, with that big of a generator, you could probably skip the external charger all together and just let the EG4 inverter/charger function as a charger.

I'm not an EG4 expert, but it is an inverter/charger.
Just to clarify, I can't use the CV if there is no power from solar, plus I'll not be tied to the grid. Will have to use a generator to recharge the batteries. Many thanks for your response.

Just to clarify, I can't use the CV if there is no power from solar, plus I'll not be tied to the grid. Will have to use a generator to recharge the batteries. Many thanks for your response.
What I think @400bird was saying is you could feed the AC in of your inverter with your genny for charging the batteries on shitty days and skip the CV all together.

Agreed. That big a generator is probably of sufficient quality and capacity to not need the isolation of the CV. Yes, you can run the CV if you want to, but there's no particular need to, and you'll have lower losses without the double conversion.

Or put the money towards a Schneider so he doesn't have to worry about remote firmware updates and other EG4 opportunities...
Schneider is cool, we carry them and like them a lot

No firmware on the chargeverter

Just throw money at the problem or be involved in a great value product under constant improvement.

What I think @400bird was saying is you could feed the AC in of your inverter with your genny for charging the batteries on shitty days and skip the CV all together.
My error in what he was trying to say, but the Duromax generator is "dirty power" or modified sine power and not pure sine, ergo, the need to charge the batteries directly with the CV.

Schneider is cool, we carry them and like them a lot
You've been on my list of companies to purchase a 6848 from. I'll order when I finally get sick of the flickering lights, during washer agitation, caused by my TP6048 or I find more land and go completely off grid.
No firmware on the chargeverter
Makes sense.
Just throw money at the problem or be involved in a great value product under constant improvement.
I look at it as investing money towards a solution... If/when I'm completely off grid the last thing I want to worry about is firmware issues and having to power down to flash updates to attempt to fix issues that should have been addressed and resolved before selling to the masses.

The Schneider option certainly is worth looking into, as well as firmware issues and updates that I was not anticipating to be an issue, but will be miserable to deal with in the dark of night. I welcome all ideas as I'm a novice to this area. My new raw land property is literally 40 miles north of the U.S./Mexican border in extreme southeast AZ where civilization mostly doesn't exist, so mistake proofing is at the top of my list. The grid is out there and the powerlines actually are along my rear property line, but the utility wants $15K just to dig a short trench and hook me up. I can buy more batteries with that cost. Thanks all for your input.

If you look at the spec sheet, it has a run time of 17 hours at 25% load (10.94), and 8 hours at 50% load (21.88 amps). So, it definitely is designedd to run at less than the full 43.75 amps.

If you look at the spec sheet, it has a run time of 17 hours at 25% load (10.94), and 8 hours at 50% load (21.88 amps). So, it definitely is designedd to run at less than the full 43.75 amps.
That's the missing piece that I overlooked. I do have an idle control on the generator that lowers the rpm's based on the load, so this makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Grab your fire extinguisher and prepare for the show, I just ordered one and it'll be used with this mac daddy.....

UGH UGH UGH (in my best Tim Allen voice).

ED45B4DB-B0A0-42E1-AF58-19223B57EE8A_1_102_o.jpeg

Back