diy solar

diy solar

Travel Trailer 24v LiFePo4 / Solar / Charger / Inverter system setup...

Spoken from someone who has had a trailer disconnect, you want to plan for the worst case scenario - trailer and 7pin disconnect.

Spoken from someone who has had a trailer disconnect, you want to plan for the worst case scenario - trailer and 7pin disconnect.
Of course. Saftey first. We have figured the disconnect part out.

Enjoy the spring like weather we're expecting this weekend.

I'll be interested to know where you land. I was convinced I was going with Canadian Solar panels from cdnsolar.ca but shot out to the RV yesterday and their smallest 300W panel is 2" too wide. I might be stuck with overpriced Renogy.

There was a previous thread finding panels in Calgary-there must be a supplier somewhere closer-even Albertans aren't entirely dependent on oil!

Sorry 'bout that.....
Typical shop close to me....they ship.

I don't know about the Growatt, I'm a fan of separate components. For occasional RV use i think a LF inverter (esp. the cost of Victron) is overkill...

Enjoy the spring like weather we're expecting this weekend.

I'll be interested to know where you land. I was convinced I was going with Canadian Solar panels from cdnsolar.ca but shot out to the RV yesterday and their smallest 300W panel is 2" too wide. I might be stuck with overpriced Renogy.

At the moment I am Very very likely to pull the trigger on the 400w Qcells Peak duo L-G7 panels. price is $240 (CAD) each from my local distributor. still have to do my final layout before jumping though.

ill let ya know.

Sooo.. Question for you folks.

How would one set this up as a 12v system? Do you need the 1 larger MMPT controller.. sounds like it is possible to use 2 smaller controllers.

I understand setting up the battery in parallel. But how do you setup 2 separate smaller charge controllers if the batteries are wired in parallel?

In my scenario id guess I would wire one 400w panel to a controller , the other panel to the other controller?

perhaps I am upside down on this idea.. just getting more curious about that idea of staying at 12v instead of 24.

How would one set this up as a 12v system? Do you need the 1 larger MMPT controller.. sounds like it is possible to use 2 smaller controllers.

I understand setting up the battery in parallel. But how do you setup 2 separate smaller charge controllers if the batteries are wired in parallel?

In my scenario id guess I would wire one 400w panel to a controller , the other panel to the other controller?

perhaps I am upside down on this idea.. just getting more curious about that idea of staying at 12v instead of 24.
If your summarize your 24 volt system I will make an 12 volt version.

There should be a set of common bus bars in your system where the loads all connect into. The batteries will also connect into these bus bars. The two MPPT solar charge controllers would also tie into the same common bus bars. Once you connect the two solar charge controllers to the common bus bars, you're done. They will both work.

There should be a set of common bus bars in your system where the loads all connect into. The batteries will also connect into these bus bars. The two MPPT solar charge controllers would also tie into the same common bus bars. Once you connect the two solar charge controllers to the common bus bars, you're done. They will both work.

so its ok to have 2 controllers hook up through a bus bar? they wont feed back each other or anything?

What happens if one of the panels is shaded and that controller turns off?

so its ok to have 2 controllers hook up through a bus bar? they wont feed back each other or anything?

What happens if one of the panels is shaded and that controller turns off?

Yep. Works fine. I have two controllers feeding into my LiFePO4 battery bank. I've had one set of panels partially shaded, while the other set was in full sun. No big deal.

Some good points for a 12 volt system there. Is Sterling Power the only maker of a 12 to 24 volt DC to DC Charger? My 12 volt loads are minimal and I already have a 24 volt inverter and 24 volt battery otherwise I’d likely go with a 12 volt system. .

Nope, Victron makes a couple. I installed one to charge my battery from my truck while I'm towing.
It's decent - it detects when the engine stops and takes adjustable parameters via bluetooth.
It also has the usual Victron enable input.

Some good points for a 12 volt system there. Is Sterling Power the only maker of a 12 to 24 volt DC to DC Charger? My 12 volt loads are minimal and I already have a 24 volt inverter and 24 volt battery otherwise I’d likely go with a 12 volt system. .

Victron has a few 12v-24v chargers, in various amp ratings. I can't speak to other brands.

Sounds like you are sorting it out, but I wanted to comment as I recently did a fairly large rewiring of my smaller TT with a 12V system and a MP Solar all in one (1012lv I believe).

When I wired things, I wanted to not mess around with certain outlets not working depending if I was on shore power, etc. So, other than the Microwave and AC unit, the rest of the panel runs off the inverter. This is fine, but it means you cannot plug anything over 1000W into any outlet, regardless of whether you are plugged into the pedestal (obviously). This is SO DAMNED frustrating. Instant pot? over 1K watts. Tiny nespresso machine? Over 1K. I ended up having to wire in some additional outlets that bypass the inverter.

Honestly, if I did it again, I would not have done the all-in-one, although that is the ONLY complaint I have.

Sounds like you are sorting it out, but I wanted to comment as I recently did a fairly large rewiring of my smaller TT with a 12V system and a MP Solar all in one (1012lv I believe).

When I wired things, I wanted to not mess around with certain outlets not working depending if I was on shore power, etc. So, other than the Microwave and AC unit, the rest of the panel runs off the inverter. This is fine, but it means you cannot plug anything over 1000W into any outlet, regardless of whether you are plugged into the pedestal (obviously). This is SO DAMNED frustrating. Instant pot? over 1K watts. Tiny nespresso machine? Over 1K. I ended up having to wire in some additional outlets that bypass the inverter.

Honestly, if I did it again, I would not have done the all-in-one, although that is the ONLY complaint I have.
Could you not have used a larger all in one units. Like those growatt 3000 systems. Seems that would solve your problem of not being limited to 1000 watts. They seem to be an excellent solution for a budget conscious builder.

Back