diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading Midnite Classic 150 to Magnum PT-100

winlorettafarms

I'm swapping out my 2 Midnite 150s for 2 Magnum PT-100s. Currently, my Midnites have 3 wires coming into them, black goes the - shunt/ inverter (B-), one red to - pv disconnect, and the other (PV+) red goes to the pv output disconnect which is linked to the other disconnect + to -. PV - has no wire. My question is can I connect the PT-100 exactly as the Mdinite is wired or do I need to charge the wiring and add a PV- as the PT-100 schematic indicates?

I think it depends if the Magnums have a common negative like the Classics. Does the Magnum document action address.this?

Can you provide a pic or link to this schematic?

And happen to have a pic or napkin sketch of your system?
Hope this helps. Sorry the schematic for the Midnite is not that great! But looks like the B- and PV- are combined.

Attachments

• PT-100 wiring schematic.pdf
    214.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Magnum control center.pdf
    950.6 KB · Views: 2
  • midnight schematic.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Magnum system.pdf
    827.8 KB · Views: 2
  • interior.pdf
    179.6 KB · Views: 2
The wiring diagram on page 16 of the Magnum manual.shows a common negative.

I think it depends if the Magnums have a common negative like the Classics. Does the Magnum document action address.this?
Yes, I have common negatives. Here's my system.

Attachments

• interior.pdf
    179.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Magnum system.pdf
    827.8 KB · Views: 8
I thought Magnum was dead since they went to Mexico. What am I missing here? Are they good again?

I'm swapping out my 2 Midnite 150s for 2 Magnum PT-100s. Currently, my Midnites have 3 wires coming into them, black goes the - shunt/ inverter (B-), one red to - pv disconnect, and the other (PV+) red goes to the pv output disconnect which is linked to the other disconnect + to -. PV - has no wire. My question is can I connect the PT-100 exactly as the Mdinite is wired or do I need to charge the wiring and add a PV- as the PT-100 schematic indicates?
I found this in the PT-100 manual so believe I should be able to install it exactly as the Midnites are installed.
"Info: The charge controller’s PV- and BAT- terminals are electrically connected to each other internally and either connection can be used for the input or output negative." Thank again for the comments

They never went to Mexico, still in Washington state
quote from another thread;

I would steer clear of Magnum if you can even find one. they are no longer currently making them and parts are nonexistent. I spent a week calling all over the US looking for a A/C input board for mine.

Magnum no longer answers their phone or emails. Rumors they are out of business rumors they are moving to Mexico. No one knows for sure.

But if you know where one is at I’d be interested in buying it so I have a spare for parts.

GREAT inverter. Shittty dealer service and non existent warranty. 5 years turned into 5 seconds or 5 feet for me And I paid them 5k.

What I had heard was, they had shut down manufacturing when Sensata bought them out and the plant was being moved to Mexico. I don't know their status right now or if things have improved. Many dealers dropped their product over the last couple years.

Last edited:
quote from another thread;

I would steer clear of Magnum if you can even find one. they are no longer currently making them and parts are nonexistent. I spent a week calling all over the US looking for a A/C input board for mine.

Magnum no longer answers their phone or emails. Rumors they are out of business rumors they are moving to Mexico. No one knows for sure.

But if you know where one is at I’d be interested in buying it so I have a spare for parts.

GREAT inverter. Shittty dealer service and non existent warranty. 5 years turned into 5 seconds or 5 feet for me And I paid them 5k.

What I had heard was, they had shut down manufacturing when Sensata bought them out and the plant was being moved to Mexico. I don't know their status right now or if things have improved. Many dealers dropped their product over the last couple years.
I get all my Magnum stuff through donrowe.com. Great customer service, very knowledgeable helpful staff, and great prices!

I get all my Magnum stuff through donrowe.com. Great customer service, very knowledgeable helpful staff, and great prices!
Did you buy a new Magnum LF inverter? You will have to report back and let us know how it goes after a year or so.

Did you buy a new Magnum LF inverter? You will have to report back and let us know how it goes after a year or so.
My original system (designed by Wholesale Solar in Mt. Shasta) had two MS-4448PAE inverters. I added a 3rd 4448 last year which I bought through donrowe.com, but there is about a 2-month turnaround for the orders.

I'm running 4 Magnum inverters 2 old 2 from Mexico it's been about 1 year. All is good.
I’m thinking about getting another 4448 from donrowe.com just to have a spare in case something goes wrong with one of the ones I currently have, then I can just swap out and send the other in for repair!

I'm running 4 Magnum inverters 2 old 2 from Mexico it's been about 1 year. All is good.
So you have 2 that say "Made in Mexico"?

I have an older MS2812, the thing is a beast and can handle some loads. Maybe not as efficient as a toroidal Victron but dang, it can handle some surges!

Victron seems to have a more modern design on the LF inverter that looks better balance between surge capacity and efficiency. I'm all Victron going forward, though I would not pass up a good deal on an older model Magnum.

Back