diy solar

diy solar

Vertical Battery Case with wheels

wsaharem

I already had a BMS, so was looking for a vertical case without a BMS and not for $600. What a PITA!. Anyway, finally found one with wheels XR05-48V280AH. (just basic case with no electronics) and $292 with free shipping. It has wheels, so no lifting it needed! I won't receive it until March, so can't yet comment on the details or delivery, but will update when it arrives.

Like this one?

What BMS/display cut outs did it have on the front?

Like this one?

What BMS/display cut outs did it have on the front?
Yes, looks like same company(or at least similiar model #), but in vertical configuration. It said it has a JBD BMS cut-out. (Pretty funny that this was just posted a couple of days ago). Totally different power connector, BMS and power cut-off switch on the vertical model. (IE, it doesn't have 4 connectors, only 2)

Last edited:
Just received the 2 boxes today. I was pretty impressed with the shipping time. (1/20 - 2/13) 20240213_190612134_iOS-large.jpg20240213_191259271_iOS-large.jpg Now the fun starts. (the 4/0 cables that I ordered for this build are massive).

After installing the wheels it was unbelievably obvious that this was very unstable. And I hadn’t even added any batteries. I added a wood layer and move the wheels out about 3 inches. The included bus bars for the battery connections were not wide enough to go across the right to left stack, so ordered a copper strip.

Tested all the Eve batteries and they are all within .001V after 4 months. Pretty much zero degradation. (Purchased A quality from 18650batteries). Zero expanding.

Attachments

• IMG_8119.jpeg
    IMG_8119.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8126.jpeg
    IMG_8126.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 44
That is a lot of weight on that bottom cell.

What’s the math on that 7x12lbs, 84lbs? I wonder how that will hold up over time.

My assumption is the cells will be laying on their side. There's been some discussion lately about some cells that are not supposed to be on their side. Just an FYI.
I read those discussions as well and based on that, I always though it's better to keep them straight up.

However many battery manufacturers nowadays offer vertical boxes with this layout. So apparently it's not too bad. Maybe in the long run, over years, it might affect the cells.

Bought a vertical box as well for my new battery and still in doubt if i should rebuild my other 'shelf batteries' in such cases.
The installation looks pretty slick.

I read those discussions as well and based on that, I always though it's better to keep them straight up.

However many battery manufacturers nowadays offer vertical boxes with this layout. So apparently it's not too bad. Maybe in the long run, over years, it might affect the cells.

Bought a vertical box as well for my new battery and still in doubt if i should rebuild my other 'shelf batteries' in such cases.
The installation looks pretty slick.
My research from internet folks was 50/50 for and against and EVE said it was ok to mount this way, so rolling the dice.

@Steve_S
Do you know what EVE says about side mounting cells?
The Current Spec Sheets say not to... Have seen too much evidence that proves it is not wise, especially when adding compression into the equation. The latest Seplos Standing Kits comes with special spacers (polycarb) & foam to put between the cells to provide the buffer they require for such an installation to alow the cells to actually have the space to expand & contract through their normal cycles. Sadly I just watched a video that borked the install process, over compressed the cells on their side which WILL inevitably lead to gross failure... Sad that some just do not have the common sense they ought to.

1 EVE 280AH cell weighs 5.6Kg /12.3 Lbs.7 Cells weigh 39.2kg/86.4lbs and you are putting THAT weight on top of the bottom cell. (without extra compression).

REALLY PEOPLE ! The Prismatic Cell Case is NOT ANY THICKER THAN A POP CAN ! You can squeeze them and get flex between your thumb & index finger.... Give them a shake and you'll hear slushing sound from the electrolyte within (as it should). Prismatic cells unlike Cylindrical cells have No Strutural Strength.

SERIOUSLY: How Obvious is it that having a stack of cells the bottom "one cell" will have to carry all that weight on top.. Then to further "compress" them, it is completely IDIOTIC... Come on, Kids in Grade 7 Science class know about cumulative weights & pressures...

Andy's Garage just showed HOW NOT TO INSTALL THE CELLS and over pressure them....
YouTube expert learning while doing, doing it wrong and getting his followers to do the same... Rather than sitting down and engaging Critical Thinking" as to why kit parts were included spacers etc and that when used properly would have held the cells "properly snug" and with the Mid-Plate (was missing in his kit) installed there would have been no heavy pressure on the bottom... Surprised it didn;t squoosh out & leak when he crushed them down with the plate - give a few days & some charging... for him to learn th stupidity of what he did. HE WILL NEVER ADMIT IT !

Last edited:
The Current Spec Sheets say not to... Have seen too much evidence that proves it is not wise, especially when adding compression into the equation. The latest Seplos Standing Kits comes with special spacers (polycarb) & foam to put between the cells to provide the buffer they require for such an installation to alow the cells to actually have the space to expand & contract through their normal cycles. Sadly I just watched a video that borked the install process, over compressed the cells on their side which WILL inevitably lead to gross failure... Sad that some just do not have the common sense they ought to.

1 EVE 280AH cell weighs 5.6Kg /12.3 Lbs.7 Cells weigh 39.2kg/86.4lbs and you are putting THAT weight on top of the bottom cell. (without extra compression).

REALLY PEOPLE ! The Prismatic Cell Case is NOT ANY THICKER THAN A POP CAN ! You can squeeze them and get flex between your thumb & index finger.... Give them a shake and you'll hear slushing sound from the electrolyte within (as it should). Prismatic cells unlike Cylindrical cells have No Strutural Strength.

SERIOUSLY: How Obvious is it that having a stack of cells the bottom "one cell" will have to carry all that weight on top.. Then to further "compress" them, it is completely IDIOTIC... Come on, Kids in Grade 7 Science class know about cumulative weights & pressures...

Andy's Garage just showed HOW NOT TO INSTALL THE CELLS and over pressure them....
YouTube expert learning while doing, doing it wrong and getting his followers to do the same... Rather than sitting down and engaging Critical Thinking" as to why kit parts were included spacers etc and that when used properly would have held the cells "properly snug" and with the Mid-Plate (was missing in his kit) installed there would have been no heavy pressure on the bottom... Surprised it didn;t squoosh out & leak when he crushed them down with the plate - give a few days & some charging... for him to learn th stupidity of what he did. HE WILL NEVER ADMIT IT !
So Andy's kit is the same as the 6 kits I received this year - the mid-plate wasn't missing - there is no mid-plate nor are there provisions for one on that version.

Also, with regards to compression - The weight of 7 cells is a mere fraction of the recommended compression forces spec'd out be EVE, REPT, etc 7 cells is 87 lbs. The compression spec requires 660 lbs across the face of the battery - you'd have to stack 52+ cells on the bottom one to get to that number. For an 8-cell stack, even with additional compression, you aren't getting close to that (Im at 430 lbs compression on cells #8 and 9 and I have a fair amount of compression purposely built into this.). I agree with you about why the foam and plastic strips are included in the kit and I came to the same conclusions when I build these units. I also had an "open air" setup with compression - I compressed to the *full spec* and ran like that for 6 months with no issues at all - those cells are now in a different box with compression as well.

I think people spin their frickin' wheels needlessly regarding compression. NO ONE will realistically ever see 6000-8000 cycles on their cells (no matter how absolutely PERFECT your setup is) - they will age out and be sent to recycling LONG before that.

Anyways - im not here to argue, just provide a bit of context to the case differences and layout.

-J

For me it’s the compression of the bottom cell is absolutely not the same as the “compression” of the top battery.

So if the forces aren’t equal, time will tell how much or if issues will arise.

Wow, even after the Mega-Thread on compression - funny how some "stuff" goes round & round....
up to 660 Pounds on a face WHUT ? Barking Mad !!!
oivey, good luck with that

Edit:; not meant for 740GLE who has common sense.

Wow, even after the Mega-Thread on compression - funny how some "stuff" goes round & round....
up to 660 Pounds on a face WHUT ? Barking Mad !!!
oivey, good luck with that

Edit:; not meant for 740GLE who has common sense.
Pretty sure that's the eve recommended spec.

Back