diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

Pics of the old system spent 2 hours cleaning and hitting it with a 220v steamer when it was discovered to be clogged full of rust. Thankfully the mold did not extend into the duct work.

So far like the ecobee much easier interface than the old system.

Attachments

• PA170192.JPG
    PA170192.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PA170193.JPG
    PA170193.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PA170194.JPG
    PA170194.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PA170183.JPG
    PA170183.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 5
  • PA170184.JPG
    PA170184.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 6
The difference when nighttime is 60f vs 43f the last two days. The bulk of the energy is nighttime usage, but with the huge reduction in the main hvac I feel much more comfortable with winter fast approaching. Hoping to finish the array for inverter 2 tomorrow, brought it online this evening for testing.

Attachments

• usage.png
    usage.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 4
Dryer uses way more than the hvac, 6100w.

Attachments

• dryer crazy load.png
    dryer crazy load.png
    59 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Only way to finish the panels for inverter two was to put a pallet on the tractor and slide them down as it was so steep.

Attachments

• PA190205.JPG
    PA190205.JPG
    528 KB · Views: 17
  • PA190204.JPG
    PA190204.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 16
Added some polycarbonate roofing pieces for fire proofing, they told me it made up 99% of the space shuttle tiles Fire rating is 15000000 kelvin for 12 hours.

Trying to come up with an anti-furball protection for the batteries and would be easy to move or see through, no increase in m8 temp found yet. Had leftover pieces from a greenhouse project Bottom panel is rougly two inches from the batteries.

Attachments

• PA200213.JPG
    PA200213.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PA200214.JPG
    PA200214.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PA200215.JPG
    PA200215.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 13
"Anti-furball protection"? From kats? ?
I had the bottom bank covered up for sometime till I finished the last panels. I started looking around for anything to keep them
from climbing on them.

Now up and running completely off grid, found the dyer is the largest load. Here's the stove and microwave running. Stove by itself is the last batrium pic. Conisdering replacing the dryer with a heat pump unit, I have emailed whirlpool as they list the 7.4 at 5400w, which I think they are including the element. I will post back on how they respond.

Attachments

• load stove microwave.png
    load stove microwave.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 6
  • stove - microwave.png
    stove - microwave.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 6
  • just the oven.png
    just the oven.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 6
A 240V dryer can be rewired to run on 120V, 1/4 the (heater) current draw, slower.
There are heat-pump ventless dryers.
Also ventless dryers which use a heat-exchanger. I got one from Bosch for our rental.

A 240V dryer can be rewired to run on 120V, 1/4 the (heater) current draw, slower.
There are heat-pump ventless dryers.
Also ventless dryers which use a heat-exchanger. I got one from Bosch for our rental.
The whirlpool is a heat pump / ventless, sites qoute a 50% or higher reduction but wanted to verify it. How is the bosch performing. do you know usage? We would have to do the 7.4cu but it seems the small CU models are more efficient.

Two fridges / freezers are not to bad its a continuous 11 amp draw, which is inverter 2. My kwh on inverter 1 hit a record due to homedepot using the Amityville warehouse. Last two weeks the water sensor is going off and it thinks the drain is clogged. Rheem sent replacement parts and waiting on the technician but at times it goes off of heat pump mode with no intervention.

Attachments

• inverter 2.png
    inverter 2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 4
  • usage record.png
    usage record.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
  • inverter 2.png
    inverter 2.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 3
The whirlpool is a heat pump / ventless, sites qoute a 50% or higher reduction but wanted to verify it. How is the bosch performing. do you know usage? We would have to do the 7.4cu but it seems the small CU models are more efficient.

I think this was the one I got, the 500 model with stainless drum.
Tenants seem to be happy with it, don't know beyond that.
Capacity 4 cubic foot.

Lowes would have been special order, got it at Airport Appliance (took a scratch-n-dent one for a discount, closer to $900 or $1000.)

At my place I have full size gas and electric, just using the electric at this time due to net metering surplus.
I've wired the 240V electric to 120V plugs before. I now have a 4-wire 240V cord on it, took a couple tries to disconnect neutral from ground deeper inside so I can use a GFCI breaker.

I think this was the one I got, the 500 model with stainless drum.
Tenants seem to be happy with it, don't know beyond that.
Capacity 4 cubic foot.

Lowes would have been special order, got it at Airport Appliance (took a scratch-n-dent one for a discount, closer to $900 or $1000.)

At my place I have full size gas and electric, just using the electric at this time due to net metering surplus.
I've wired the 240V electric to 120V plugs before. I now have a 4-wire 240V cord on it, took a couple tries to disconnect neutral from ground deeper inside so I can use a GFCI breaker.
Response from Whirlpool, been on hold for almost an hour. It can easly get up to -68 amps.
Link for the model:

---------------------------
Thank you for visiting the Whirlpool website. We appreciate hearing from you.

I do apologize that you have had some difficulty finding the information you need.
I was not able to locate any information stating the watts would be any different with the HybridCare cycle.
HybridCare™ dryers are better at energy
savings but take longer than regularly
vented dryers. This dryer provides you
the choice between two modes:
Speed: Select this option for optimal
cycle times. Eco: This option increases your energy
savings by using a slightly lower heat
level and extending cycle time. Energy savings may vary
across loads and cycles.
You are a valued Whirlpool customer and we appreciate this opportunity to address your inquiry.

We invite you to contact Whirlpool again either by calling (800) 253-1301 between the hours of 8 AM and 8 PM Monday & Tuesday and 9 AM and 7 PM ET Wednesday-Friday or by emailing whenever the need arises.

Sincerely,
Whirlpool Consumer Correspondence Team
(800) 253-1301

Attachments

• dryer.png
    dryer.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 2
Spec 5400W! is that a 240V model?
Yes, in the spec sheet but not on the web page.
That is twice what my central A/C draws!

If no resistance heating elements, just motors, expect 27kW starting surge.
That is, unless it has a VFD that ramps up.

I was curious to see if the meter would go up at all, checked it yesterday at 4:48, checked today at 1:00pm and it has not moved. I ordered iron ridge splices to add another 10 panels and bring up the 4th charge controller. I was think how or where to put them and found the splices on iron ridges site. This will save a bunch of money and time.

Spec 5400W! is that a 240V model?
Yes, in the spec sheet but not on the web page.
That is twice what my central A/C draws!

If no resistance heating elements, just motors, expect 27kW starting surge.
That is, unless it has a VFD that ramps up.
I gave up on the phone after over an hour, since my current dryer can pull over 6100w, I think they were providing the full wattage since that is a hyrbid. I would have to believe its less than 1/2 in heatpump mode but would like some verification. My new 3ton inverter hvac system is maxxing out at 3200watt, resistive heating really pulls alot.

Not the same but possibly close !!!!
The GeoSpring hot water tank heat pump can recover 8 gallons per hour (at 68F ambient air temp) while standard heating elements can recover about 22 gallons per hour. The difference is, the heat pump only draws about 550 watts of energy compared to 4,500 watts from standard heating elements. So if an average shower uses 16 gallons of hot water, the heat pump would run about 2 hours to reheat the water and use about 1.2 kilowatt hours of electricity. For the same 16 gallons of water, a standard electric water heater would take about 48 minutes at 4,500 watts of power which is about 3.2 kilowatt hours, almost three times the energy.

Although the heat pump runs longer to reheat the water, it still ends up using up to 67% less energy.
In other words around 1/8th the power consumption.

Not the same but possibly close !!!!
The GeoSpring hot water tank heat pump can recover 8 gallons per hour (at 68F ambient air temp) while standard heating elements can recover about 22 gallons per hour. The difference is, the heat pump only draws about 550 watts of energy compared to 4,500 watts from standard heating elements. So if an average shower uses 16 gallons of hot water, the heat pump would run about 2 hours to reheat the water and use about 1.2 kilowatt hours of electricity. For the same 16 gallons of water, a standard electric water heater would take about 48 minutes at 4,500 watts of power which is about 3.2 kilowatt hours, almost three times the energy.

Although the heat pump runs longer to reheat the water, it still ends up using up to 67% less energy.
In other words around 1/8th the power consumption.
I updated my old resistive based hot water to the rheem hybrid and most of the time its under 10 amps. Truly amazing how much less it uses and it helps a little in keeping it cool.

I will be using a hybrid HWT in a warm Florida garage so it will heat my water and cool the garage, perfect.
HVAC will be an inverter unit like Mr Cool, stove is a stove nothing I can do about that and dryer....well I might try running the heater on 120v for 1/4 heat mode.

Back