diy solar

diy solar

Victron Quattro 48/5000 Broken Stud

SkillZUNV

Well it happened, I don't know my own strength and I also didn't realize the torque numbers in the Victron manual are MAXIMUM values... Thankfully we have the equipment and Skilled individuals to fix the mistake in house, and not need to RMA the equipment. As you can see the Neutral stud was just a plated Brass bolt that was soldered to the board, and it only took a second to snap it into oblivion. (this pic was after we attempted to just back the stud out, which is clearly impossible once you remove the fans and investigate the assembly)20230126_124145.jpg
Step 1:

Desolder the Broken bolt. We used a Hakko Desoldering station, some flux, and a Hot Air Bath to add some heat to speed things up a bit.
20230126_124845.jpg
STEP 2:
Repeat removal process, and then Re-Solder the Donor bolt into the Neutral position.

20230126_125845.jpg

Step 3:

Re-Assemble, and test: 20230127_140619.jpg

I hope my mistake can help someone in the future. I was unable to find the exact bolt on the usual hardware supplier sites, but I imagine it is out there, if you are using both AC inputs and both AC outputs.

This is not for the faint of heart,and I do not think you could easily remove this bolt with solder wick, It really requires a de-soldering station with constant vacuum.

Thanks for this... I'm going to be a little more careful with my torque... I suspect I've been a little too aggressive.

Did you use a crimping terminal on a solid ground wire?
1674857584752.png

There are several reasons why I don't have any photos of my setup on the site... EVERYTHING is "temporary."
Nothing is as permanent as a farmer's temporary fix... TBH there are 6 of these, they run to junction boxes .25m away, and the primary chassis Ground is a significantly better ground anyways, and I doubt I ever will need the Neutral Ground Bond relay these are supporting, but the wire is scheduled to be here soon, (it is a slightly larger cross section wire) it may actually get fixed.

Lesson learned kiddies, no using the impact on your Quattro. LOL

Good timing actually, just last night I modified my Dyson to use Milwaukee M18 batteries... I can suck start a Harley with this thing now. LOL

That’s not a battery (in my best Aussie accent).

1674874047868.png

THAT'S A BATTERY!!!

1674874095720.png

Last edited:
Lesson learned kiddies, no using the impact on your Quattro. LOL

Years ago aklands sold a line of gas powered hand power tools
I remember a drill and skill saw but a gas powered impact would have been a cool idea

Gas powered tools are a stupid idea but this was back when cordless tool s batteries were very weak

Doesn’t seem like a long time ago
But in the 80s I can remember if you went by a construction site without hydro you would see extension cords everyplace going to portable generators
People getting shocks were common.

Boy I feel I am a pretty progressive fellow.
I tottaly like this while electrification thing and policies that speed it’s adoption

But change takes time

After watching that video I’m glad I don’t live in California

Some good info:

Certain crimp design is made for Solid wire and meet UL std.

UL:

Last edited:
There are different grades of wall sockets

It’s completely up to the end user but spending a little more gets you a more robust longer lasting receptacle

Many better quality also have holes in the back where you insert straying conductors without tff by the need to make hooks anymore
Dude I HATE those little push fit holes and refuse to use them unless absolutely necessary. Seen too many loose connections from those things loosening up over time, something I've not seen on a properly tightened screw terminal.

Pulling the charred remains of an outlet out of the wall was the final straw for me.

Dude I HATE those little push fit holes and refuse to use them unless absolutely necessary. Seen too many loose connections and burnt outlets from those things loosening up over time, something I've not seen on a properly tightened screw terminal.
I’m not a fan myself construction guys like them for residential work

There are also some commercial ones with holes
But you tighten a screw to hold the wire
That a the one I like because I use almost exclusively tec90

They are fast to install but a lot of guys don’t like them
They are approved however like them or not
1674917855251.jpeg

I’m not a fan myself construction guys like them for residential work

There are also some commercial ones with holes
But you tighten a screw to hold the wire
That a the one I like because I use almost exclusively tec90
Yes, those I do like.

Construction guys like the cheapo push-ins because they're fast.

Ive replaced most of the originals in our house due to being loose and sketchy. A few left that are behind furniture I haven't moved yet.

Yes, those I do like.

Construction guys like the cheapo push-ins because they're fast.

Ive replaced most of the originals in our house due to being loose and sketchy. A few left that are behind furniture I haven't moved yet.
Here’s a better back fed style
1674918146512.jpeg
There is also the advantage of using less super nuts to make connection with some of these

✋

umm….how are you supposed to attach to a solid wire? Asking for a friend.
Some of your better hardware stores have diy books
Im not sure about USA but in Canada you used to be able to buy “the electrical code simplified”
It was an approved little book that explained the reasoning behind rules and offered tips to the home owner doing his own work.

Your friend might appreciate a book like that.
T shows you everything you need to know to wire a basic home start to Finnish lots of pictures to help guide you

Back