diy solar

diy solar

We need you Will

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
Noise would be a problem, so I've opted for a vertical, lantern type turbine, believing the sales material (and some review comments) that this unit is almost silent in normal use.

We'll see.
Brian if you run it let us know the results.
There are tons of people looking for supplementary solutions for dark days.
Me - It'll be crow perch unfortunately due to the ice rain....The VAWT just seems so cool They look amazing spinining around.
Your results may help people.
cheers

I promised to report back on my VAWT unit, and I apologize for taking so long. It was a while before I actually got the unit up in the air, and I've given it a good period to show it's worth, but having seen no useful power from it (and having a better use for the space it takes up) it's now decommissioned.
Going in to the detail of the spec I learned the rated output was dependent upon a constant 30mph wind. Historical statistics for wind at my location shows it averages 8mph. While it was up we had several storms where the wind exceeded 30mph but even then, with the unit visibly spinning rapidly, its controller showed 'charging' for only seconds at a time.
The unit cost about £200, and another £50 or so for the metalwork to mount it, which I'm putting down to research and learning.

I promised to report back on my VAWT unit, and I apologize for taking so long. It was a while before I actually got the unit up in the air, and I've given it a good period to show it's worth, but having seen no useful power from it (and having a better use for the space it takes up) it's now decommissioned.
Going in to the detail of the spec I learned the rated output was dependent upon a constant 30mph wind. Historical statistics for wind at my location shows it averages 8mph. While it was up we had several storms where the wind exceeded 30mph but even then, with the unit visibly spinning rapidly, its controller showed 'charging' for only seconds at a time.
The unit cost about £200, and another £50 or so for the metalwork to mount it, which I'm putting down to research and learning.
Thank you sharing the results of your experience. So few small wind turbine owners do so. You will certainly help a few people.

I have two out 7 windmills left on my remote forestry camps.
5 Self Destructed or just simply puked.
Another forestry guy uses thermodyne ones and has success from a reliability standpoint. But up here you need braking due to wind speeds and who the hell is gonna go into the woods to hit a switch.

In Canada here they freeze up and spin and self destruct if they are not top notch quality.
The best I ever got was some top up of the batteries.
It is simply better imho to add battary capacity and panels.
It simply works.

The maintenace on those darn things was incredible.
Crap was breaking all the time.
I think the crows use the two still up as perches.
They are a historical testament to an idea gone stupid.
I tied them dow for the crows
They like them
My brother in law worked on the commercial end of these...even took me up in then a few times. That said...you are correct on all points & then some.

Have you check out Missouri Wind and Solar? I live off-grid and my turbine is from them.

Back