diy solar

diy solar

What happened to the Vestwoods 8K Inverter?

MidwestBest

Redneck Engineer
I assume everyone remembers the Vestwoods 8k inverter that had nothing but issues for at least 3 videos that I saw, but I was wondering if there was any follow up on if they got issues with them fixed? I was really hoping they would as the specs for that unit are more than perfect for what I need for my off grid system. Assuming the 6000xp with its price and performance has just beyond overshadowed it. Any clarity and if anyone has actually had success with this unit without constant problems id love to hear about it mostly for curiosity. Thanks,

It’s still junk.
I think there’s a handful of persistent owners that have been able to work through the bugs. Shame as the hardware itself seemed fairly promising

it seemed like the perfect middle ground inverter which is what a lot of people needed just didn't pan out like i had hoped. i was so excited when it came out until i saw the videos on it... :( my first true heart break when it comes to solar. guess ill just use 2 6000xp's even though 8kw is like perfect for what i needed. better to be over powered than under though i guess

it seemed like the perfect middle ground inverter which is what a lot of people needed just didn't pan out like i had hoped. i was so excited when it came out until i saw the videos on it... :( my first true heart break when it comes to solar. guess ill just use 2 6000xp's even though 8kw is like perfect for what i needed. better to be over powered than under though i guess
I keep waiting for the EG4 12KPV/8000xp mystery machine to make some progress.
Will had made a thread about their prototype at intersolar recently. The tech label he posted showed that it had 8kw ac output and 10kw PV input. Luxpower design and the built in breakers
I imagine it’d be price somewhere between their 2 current offerings but who knows how long it will be in development for.
I think it’ll sell like hotcakes. I’m like you, the 6kw is just a bit too small.
@Markus_EG4 any idea when there might be more teasers from the intersolar prototype?

I keep waiting for the EG4 12KPV/8000xp mystery machine to make some progress.
Will had made a thread about their prototype at intersolar recently. The tech label he posted showed that it had 8kw ac output and 10kw PV input. Luxpower design and the built in breakers
I imagine it’d be price somewhere between their 2 current offerings but who knows how long it will be in development for.
I think it’ll sell like hotcakes. I’m like you, the 6kw is just a bit too small.
@Markus_EG4 any idea when there might be more teasers from the intersolar prototype?
WHATTTT?? how did i miss this video. I will be looking for this right after work. im glad you said something though cause im very very close to buying a new bigger system for my off grid setup (currently running a eg4 3k inverter) but if that is coming down the pipes i can wait some time. just can only run one or two things at a time with my current very small inverter. and its under sized for what i have but its what i had for my camper and now im upgrading to a 24x40 barn that is already spray foamed and should be fully furnished before summer gets here. just need a bigger inverter by summer to run my mini split if i can cause idk if this little thing will run much with a mini split being powered as well. if anyone has more info on that i would be very grateful.

@MidwestBest

WHATTTT?? how did i miss this video. I will be looking for this right after work. im glad you said something though cause im very very close to buying a new bigger system for my off grid setup (currently running a eg4 3k inverter) but if that is coming down the pipes i can wait some time. just can only run one or two things at a time with my current very small inverter. and its under sized for what i have but its what i had for my camper and now im upgrading to a 24x40 barn that is already spray foamed and should be fully furnished before summer gets here. just need a bigger inverter by summer to run my mini split if i can cause idk if this little thing will run much with a mini split being powered as well. if anyone has more info on that i would be very grateful.
How about the srne 10kw inverter? That's available now and very well priced.

How about the srne 10kw inverter? That's available now and very well priced.
im not familiar with that brand at all. im not one to skimp on price if i can spend a little more for a much better product usually since my only power source is solar with no grid connection i try not to spend money on something that could even possibly have issues. thats why i didnt even consider the vestwoods 8k inverter. was hoping they would get it all figured out then i could buy one but doesnt seem like that will happen. so just waiting on the next new great inverter that i can afford. sadly the 18kpv is out of my budget.. barely also has a lot of features i just dont need since i dont even have power at my property.

im not familiar with that brand at all. im not one to skimp on price if i can spend a little more for a much better product usually since my only power source is solar with no grid connection i try not to spend money on something that could even possibly have issues. thats why i didnt even consider the vestwoods 8k inverter. was hoping they would get it all figured out then i could buy one but doesnt seem like that will happen. so just waiting on the next new great inverter that i can afford. sadly the 18kpv is out of my budget.. barely also has a lot of features i just dont need since i dont even have power at my property.

I just watched Will’s vid on this unit when it was branded EG4.

At 19:59 it looks like he has the grid going to the ac input of the inverter. He also has a direct connection from his mini load center to the critical loads panel. The ac output of the inverter is connected to the same critical loads panel.

My question is isn’t the direct connection from grid to critical loads bypassing the inverter altogether? It would seem to me the grid should only be connected to the ac input of the inverter so the inverter can decide to supplement with grid power if solar/battery is not sufficient.

At 19:59 it looks like he has the grid going to the ac input of the inverter. He also has a direct connection from his mini load center to the critical loads panel. The ac output of the inverter is connected to the same critical loads panel.

My question is isn’t the direct connection from grid to critical loads bypassing the inverter altogether? It would seem to me the grid should only be connected to the ac input of the inverter so the inverter can decide to supplement with grid power if solar/battery is not sufficient.

Update:

I watched again. He said there was 1kw going into the inverter but 0 amps from the grid. His shop heat pump was running so that tells me the inverter had to be running off solar/battery only. Maybe to test the grid tie functionality he should have disconnected the batteries?

I can't find the video with the segment you're talking about, but is it just a bypass that is switched off? My CLP is fed by the inverter out and direct from main panel, but never both at the same time. The direct feeder is my bypass to put the CLP on straight grid.

I can't find the video with the segment you're talking about, but is it just a bypass that is switched off? My CLP is fed by the inverter out and direct from main panel, but never both at the same time. The direct feeder is my bypass to put the CLP on straight grid.

It is this video:

At 18:19 he turns both breakers on. One to his inverter and one to his CLP. It’s a great video I’m just really trying to research this unit well because interested in purchasing.

Do you want to share what makes you interested in it over like the 6000xp?

The manual of the 6000xp says not recommended for use without battery and I’m not planning on starting off with batteries at the moment. I just want to have a few things powered off solar during the day and then grid fed at night. I inherited panels so just trying to get something up and running without a big upfront cost right now.

I considered something like a Growatt but I’m really limiting myself from expansion unless I parallel units. Would rather start off with something with a split phase output that I can perhaps grow into.

The manual for the 8k, page 23, number 2B is exactly what I’m going for.

Last edited:
The manual of the 6000xp says not recommended for use without battery and I’m not planning on starting off with batteries at the moment. I just want to have a few things powered off solar during the day and then grid fed at night. I inherited panels so just trying to get something up and running without a big upfront cost right now.

I considered something like a Growatt but I’m really limiting myself from expansion unless I parallel units. Would rather start off with something with a split phase output that I can perhaps grow into.

The manual for the 8k, page 23, number 2B is exactly what I’m going for.
Solar only setups tend to bring out unknown bugs even in very popular inverters. I would say a Lifepower4 and EG4 3k is a better way to start, and just accept that you'll grow out of the 3k eventually. But the battery can stay useful.

But I don't have any knowledge to say the 8k is a bad inverter either. That's just my thoughts.

Solar only setups tend to bring out unknown bugs even in very popular inverters. I would say a Lifepower4 and EG4 3k is a better way to start, and just accept that you'll grow out of the 3k eventually. But the battery can stay useful.

But I don't have any knowledge to say the 8k is a bad inverter either. That's just my thoughts.

I appreciate your input. I don’t know if I’m willing to accept the fact that I’ll outgrow it though. My panel is outside, if it were indoors I’d already have purchased the 6000xp. But I don’t want to find something to enclose batteries in and definitely don’t want to shell out for a power wall or ep cube. Last I saw Will said this unit was just sitting in his garage. I wish he would just send it to me so I could test it out haha. I don’t know why I just think it could work. It just seems too perfect for my use case.

Back