diy solar

diy solar

What was your most interesting recent non solar project?

Wasn't sure where to place this. We all have a strong interest in solar and countless threads are written on the topic.

I was curious what other interests and projects others have worked on that they found interesting. Recently I found myself learning the details of a modern hot water heater. Two days I could barely explain what a thermocouple was. Since then, with the failure of our hot water heater I was given a choice. Try to find a repair person I could afford on a holiday or learn as much as I could in hopes of strapping together a basic repair. It is amazing how beneficial Youtube videos can be. Terms such as thermal switch, control board for a gas valve, multimeter values for a thermopile, the amazing simplicity of a pizoelectric igniter, clearing a pilot line, etc are easier to understand. Fortunately with some basic housekeeping the family again has hot water because the tank and lines were intact. I feel fortunate to have stood on the shoulders of others in this effort. I am also grateful to this forum because I have learned so much from the patient teaching of others. I am sure this in no small way helped me find the courage to attempt this project.

So I am curious. Is there a non solar project you found interesting that you are willing to share?
Built and setup two Pwnagotchi's and a few Portable LoRa Meshtastic devices.

Converting a big white pine into firewood. About 48" at the base, it was around 120 feet high. I hired a tree climber to climb it, He dropped the top 50 feet while up in the tree and then dropped the lower 70' in one piece. It cracked in two spots, but I did get two nice base logs and a couple of others a bit higher. Counting rings that tree was around 125 to 130 years old, a youngster by west coast standards but good size for northern NH. I started out trying to split the logs by scoring them with a chain saw and then using hydraulic jacks but that didnt work (dont believe folks on internet forums ;) ) so I sawed the biggest two with a big chainsaw. That took a lot of effort and some waste, so I then hired a guy come to the site to slab the wood into 8" deep slabs log width with a Lucas portable mill. The logs were 10'6" long and estimated weight was 4000 plus pounds each green. Sitting in the background of the Lucas mIll shot is my trusty FLU 419 (Unimog) army surplus backhoe loader that was used to drag the logs around the lot and load the slabs onto trailers. I was right on the edge of its capability. We made two 46" 2" thick slabs, one of which is now someone's bar top. Then (no photos) we hauled the slabs to my friend's bandsaw mill and after sawing the slabs to 28" wide with a chainsaw to fit in the mill, then sawed them into boards. Ended up with two piles of boards 4' wide and about 5' high. There was a bit of ant damage in a few spots but most of the bottom logs were clear and relatively tight grain. Tight grain white pine is not something you see at most lumber dealers as most loggers cut pines when they are half the diameter of this one. They are sticked up and drying. The last stack photo has some aspen boards that I had cut earlier on top of the pine to keep it flat. In the next to last photo there is a 2 foot wide by 2" thick slab I kept just for the heck of it for some future project. WIde slabs can crack and warp as they dry so I usually stick with the smaller stuff. I paint all the ends of the logs with wax penetrant that reduces splitting and also leave the logs a bit long so when I need one I have some end trim.
My neighbor and I are doing a project creating benches and tables to sell for wounded warrior project. Not only fun, but satisfying.

Attachments

• 20230605_162710.jpg
    20230605_162710.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230510_175843.jpg
    20230510_175843.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 8
I'm building a house... It is 24x 36 with a 2/3 second story... My wife and I designed it and we did everything with help from friends and family...

The last couple weeks I've been changing out the size of windows as I got a really good deal on the windows for the top story... Enough for it was worth several hours to change out the window size

So far we are about 2 years into the project

We are hoping to have the bedrooms and offices finished up by winter so that we can be out of the RV some of the time

Eventually we will finish the living room dining room area and the kitchen and one of the bathrooms... Once that happens we can sell the RV and that builds our 12x36 deck on the south side second story

Best part is... We're building the house cash money...

It's a slow process... And right now I'm doing a lot of the work so my wife's business is taking the brunt of the work while my business is kind of on the side

When we are done we won't owe anybody a dime... And that's pretty exciting

I'm building a house... It is 24x 36 with a 2/3 second story... My wife and I designed it and we did everything with help from friends and family...

The last couple weeks I've been changing out the size of windows as I got a really good deal on the windows for the top story... Enough for it was worth several hours to change out the window size

So far we are about 2 years into the project

We are hoping to have the bedrooms and offices finished up by winter so that we can be out of the RV some of the time

Eventually we will finish the living room dining room area and the kitchen and one of the bathrooms... Once that happens we can sell the RV and that builds our 12x36 deck on the south side second story
I am sure you have all the proper permits, and a good architect to stamp the plans for approval, but as an FYI to make sure you dont have the same issue, I had to replace all my second story windows on a build we did on Long Island NY, because the inspector said they were a half inch too narrow for a fireman to get through! So would not pass code. (They were the usual Anderson 400's)

I think the inspector was looking for a payoff. He was an ass, and i was NOT going to give him a bribe.

It cost me thousands and many more hours of additional work to replace them all, even though the windows were to architect specs. So make sure to check code and measure the openings. That said, the area where you live may not be as corrupt as long Island. I sold it all and moved to a red state.

Sounds like an awesome project you are doing!

My whole life has been one giant project. My wife says I always have projects.

Remodeled a few houses, built a few buildings, camper mods, build just about anything from scratch. Life is about the experience and taking advantage of the ability to do whatever you want. Here a few projects ranging from an ice boat to remodeling the shower in my truck camper.

scratcher cropped.jpg

Shower pan.jpg

37 Chev.jpg

Best part is... We're building the house cash money...

It's a slow process... And right now I'm doing a lot of the work so my wife's business is taking the brunt of the work while my business is kind of on the side

When we are done we won't owe anybody a dime... And that's pretty exciting
That is awesome! Congrats. Two weeks to closing and I will be traveling that very same road.

I am sure you have all the proper permits, and a good architect to stamp the plans for approval, but as an FYI to make sure you dont have the same issue, I had to replace all my second story windows on a build we did on Long Island NY, because the inspector said they were a half inch too narrow for a fireman to get through! So would not pass code. (They were the usual Anderson 400's)

I think the inspector was looking for a payoff. He was an ass, and i was NOT going to give him a bribe.

It cost me thousands and many more hours of additional work to replace them all, even though the windows were to architect specs. So make sure to check code and measure the openings. That said, the area where you live may not be as corrupt as long Island. I sold it all and moved to a red state.

Sounds like an awesome project you are doing!
Oh yeah I don't live in New York... I'm in Kansas in a small rural community... But honestly all of our windows are large enough to meet fire code and then some

Although I think we're still on like 2006 or 2008 building codes if I remember correctly

But yeah we pulled permits... I kind of have to I'm actually a city planning and zoning commissioner... And I guess it helps that I drink beer with the inspector

A funny thing that was mentioned by the inspector... He said that he has no idea how to inspect a house electrical system that is ran completely off of solar

I told him it would be fed in the same manner as a back fed generator

He said he's going to inspect it like he would a grid connected house and if I want to hook up a electrical system to it other than the grid that he didn't consider it any of his business

Ultimately the city already approved it so we're good

Before or around the same time I installed solar, I converted a VW to electric. This was in 2011, and I lived in a small beach town in California. Some residents had golf carts {NEVs} which technically could not use the highway that ran though town and I wanted something more versitile. I was also recently divorced and needed a good hobby. That town had parking meters everywhere, but EVs could park for free. I probably spent $15.000 on that project but it was rewarding and a lot less expensive than my first EV a few years later. The Winston 100 Ahr cells probably cost $300 per kWh then from a local supplier. I had $4,000 in batteries, $500 in a BMS, $6,000 in an AC motor, Controller and adaptor plate. The balance of cost was an old '75 VW, new tires, rims and various parts, cables and tools. I got my first EV grin from that car and people were blown away at the 0 to 60 feet performance.

Last edited:

Different size required for egress when higher off the ground. But only where there is required egress, like window in addition to door leading out of a bedroom.

Same goes for landings outside exterior doors. Required only if for egress.

At least those are what I have gleaned from reading codes I think apply in California.

I did use vertical sliders rather than horizontal sliders to meet egress dimensions for some existing opening.
And it still looks to me like opening one of the windows comes up one inch shy. Lifting window out of the track makes it wide enough.

😲

Ice boat? Or stump grinder?!

My whole life has been one giant project. My wife says I always have projects.

Remodeled a few houses, built a few buildings, camper mods, build just about anything from scratch. Life is about the experience and taking advantage of the ability to do whatever you want. Here a few projects ranging from an ice boat to remodeling the shower in my truck camper.

View attachment 203703

View attachment 203705

View attachment 203707
Cool shower base!(and car and boat engine). Doing a shower myself at the moment in a 300 year old house.

Attachments

• 20240318_124644.jpg
    20240318_124644.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Zwy
😲

Ice boat? Or stump grinder?!
Teeth on the wheel dig into the ice to push it. Built that 20 some years ago.

30 mph top speed, no brakes. :ROFLMAO:

Used to cross channels on the Mississippi River when ice fishing. You have to hit the good spots before the crowd can make it there, then move on to the spots harder to get to. I haven't gone the last 2 years though, the Livescope people have really hurt the fish population and the rheumatoid arthritis doesn't help.

Two recent projects:
Outdoor shower:
Summer in the tropics, working outside, it will be nice to cool off, and wash off, especially after mowing the yard, which I normally do in months starting with "J".
outdoor_shower2 copy.jpeg
Diesel repairs:
My 25 year old Diesel Ford van has almost 300k miles on it.
Hoping to repair the current issue, really don't want to buy any newer trucks right now.

Engine is a Navistar / International 7.3 liter, marketed by Ford as "Powerstroke".

Somehow, Ford jammed this giant engine into the van "doghouse" - very difficult to access.

I replaced the engine wiring harness, which had become damaged by the heat and vibration.

Had to remove the turbo, fuel system, AC compressor, alternator, radiator, etc just to get access.
Part of the wiring harness is under the valve covers, powering the injectors and glow plugs.

Very difficult to get the passenger side valve cover off, had to remove the passenger side wheel/tire assy to access some of the valve cover bolts through the fender splash shield!
old_new_wiring_harness copy.jpegnew_wiring_under_vc.jpg
DSC01390 copy.jpeg
Noticed that the turbo was missing one bolt, another had backed out 1/2 way from vibration.
Only two bolts remained holding the hot/cool sections together.
Replaced the bolts, and safety-wired them, should be good for another 25 years..
turbo_safety_wire copy.jpeg
Working on re-installing all the parts now, hope to test it over the weekend.

I am sure you have all the proper permits, and a good architect to stamp the plans for approval,
Architect? What the hell is an architect? We just did a quick sketch on a sheet of paper and then on some graph paper explained where the house would sit on our property

When it asked about power we said solar

When it asked about construction we wrote stick

When it asked about foundation we said slab

When it asked about builder I listed my friend who is on the cities approved builder list

And that's it... My friend showed up on a Saturday... We put some beer in the cooler and started working on the house at around 7:00 in the morning and about 11:00 we sat down had some lunch and drank some beer

Architect? What the hell is an architect? We just did a quick sketch on a sheet of paper and then on some graph paper explained where the house would sit on our property

When it asked about power we said solar

When it asked about construction we wrote stick

When it asked about foundation we said slab

When it asked about builder I listed my friend who is on the cities approved builder list

And that's it... My friend showed up on a Saturday... We put some beer in the cooler and started working on the house at around 7:00 in the morning and about 11:00 we sat down had some lunch and drank some beer
God bless you if you live in an area where freedoms still survive! Town permit offices in NYC are run like cartels.

Two recent projects:
Outdoor shower:
Summer in the tropics, working outside, it will be nice to cool off, and wash off, especially after mowing the yard, which I normally do in months starting with "J".
View attachment 203815
Diesel repairs:
My 25 year old Diesel Ford van has almost 300k miles on it.
Hoping to repair the current issue, really don't want to buy any newer trucks right now.

Engine is a Navistar / International 7.3 liter, marketed by Ford as "Powerstroke".

Somehow, Ford jammed this giant engine into the van "doghouse" - very difficult to access.

I replaced the engine wiring harness, which had become damaged by the heat and vibration.

Had to remove the turbo, fuel system, AC compressor, alternator, radiator, etc just to get access.
Part of the wiring harness is under the valve covers, powering the injectors and glow plugs.

Very difficult to get the passenger side valve cover off, had to remove the passenger side wheel/tire assy to access some of the valve cover bolts through the fender splash shield!
View attachment 203816View attachment 203817
View attachment 203820
Noticed that the turbo was missing one bolt, another had backed out 1/2 way from vibration.
Only two bolts remained holding the hot/cool sections together.
Replaced the bolts, and safety-wired them, should be good for another 25 years..
View attachment 203821
Working on re-installing all the parts now, hope to test it over the weekend.
Next will be injector cups..........

Back