diy solar

diy solar

Which battery is best?

Heiwei Dao had a decent thread in the corporate section but he spammed in other threads to he was kicked out and rightfully so. A couple of us warned him hoping he would stop but then he came and did it again. Also it has just been reported to me he is did hot honor his shipping price. One forum member received an invoice with the agreed shipping price and all was good. Then the member received an updated shipping price which made the deal higher than some of the others seen around here.

Heiwei Dao would have still made a profit had he honored the original shipping price. He did change his price in his thread in the corporate section before the thread was removed to reflect the higher shipping cost as he claimed he made a miscalculation. And that's fine. But to not honor the shipping price on the original orders he invoiced for is wrong. Therefore, in light of this fact I am sorry to say I am hesitant to recommend him at this time. It's kinda sad as he was friendly and transparent. I really wanted to give this guy a chance.
Thank you and I understand why he was now. I'm kinda glad I didn't order any cells from him.

Heiwei Dao would have still made a profit had he honored the original shipping price. He did change his price in his thread in the corporate section before the thread was removed to reflect the higher shipping cost as he claimed he made a miscalculation. And that's fine. But to not honor the shipping price on the original orders he invoiced for is wrong. Therefore, in light of this fact I am sorry to say I am hesitant to recommend him at this time. It's kinda sad as he was friendly and transparent. I really wanted to give this guy a chance.

I don't actually see this as a big deal on its own, unless there was a pattern or reason to believe he was being disingenuous. I am as far from an expert on this topic as humanly possible, but I think this is an expectation we get from Western retail sales, that doesn't necessarily translate to ultra low margin Alibaba sales. As I understand it these sellers outsource arranging shipping to outside companies, and pass on whatever the cost of that is to customers. Just like we don't want to handle the uncertainty and complexity of dealing with customs and logistics companies directly, they don't either. I suppose it depends somewhat on where in the process the price was changed, and if it was a good faith mistake or a ploy. It is unfortunate to know the deal was not as good as it seemed. I still like the guy for his straightforwardness and willingness to engage with us and share useful info, I do agree that he stepped over the line with soliciting outside of the corporate deals section.

The problem I have is he changed the guys invoice without notifying him first and admitting he made a mistake. The guy had to contact him and ask why the price had changed. I know there could be things lost in the translation. It wasn't that he spammed the forums, while wrong it didn't concern me as far as him being a good seller. I was thinking his eagerness to interact with us and sell to us got in his way of following the forums rules. I am not sure he understood the consequences of spamming. I am not even sure he understood the forum rules....lol.

I didn't come out and say I don't recommend him, only that I am hesitant to. He refused to honor the original price when asked by the buyer. Making good with the buyer would have went a long ways towards my feelings about him. His original price for shipping was $4.00 per Kg then he upped it to $6.00 per Kg. I guess, after thinking about it, that would be a lot to eat especially with a larger battery order.

I probably have to take a step back and rethink all of this. I liked the guy too. He started a very good and informative thread in the corporate section. But I also feel bad I was pointing others to his thread and then this happened. I was excited by his pricing and he told me he would take paypal. Live and learn.

Reactions: Dzl
The problem I have is he changed the guys invoice without notifying him first and admitting he made a mistake. The guy had to contact him and ask why the price had changed. I know there could be things lost in the translation. It wasn't that he spammed the forums, while wrong it didn't concern me as far as him being a good seller. I was thinking his eagerness to interact with us and sell to us got in his way of following the forums rules. I am not sure he understood the consequences of spamming. I am not even sure he understood the forum rules....lol.

I didn't come out and say I don't recommend him, only that I am hesitant to. He refused to honor the original price when asked by the buyer. Making good with the buyer would have went a long ways towards my feelings about him. His original price for shipping was $4.00 per Kg then he upped it to $6.00 per Kg. I guess, after thinking about it, that would be a lot to eat especially with a larger battery order.

I probably have to take a step back and rethink all of this. I liked the guy too. He started a very good and informative thread in the corporate section. But I also feel bad I was pointing others to his thread and then this happened. I was excited by his pricing and he told me he would take paypal. Live and learn.

I think this ^ is a very reasonable perspective. (y)

Well that Heiwei Dao person was far too aggressive.
I looked at their Alibaba Listings, next thing I know I am getting Alibaba PM's from them, flogging their products, OKAY, Fine... BUT Then I start getting emails from them through Alibaba... Seriously ! a bit much.... I never reported it to anyone, I just SPAM Binned it but maybe that person did it to others less tolerant of such.

I looked at their Alibaba Listings, next thing I know I am getting Alibaba PM's from them, flogging their products, OKAY, Fine... BUT Then I start getting emails from them through Alibaba... Seriously ! a bit much.... I never reported it to anyone, I just SPAM Binned it but maybe that person did it to others less tolerant of such.
Hi @Steve_S , what are you doing up ? Is it not about 3am there ? ;)

Yeah...I understand...believe me. I have put in a request for a quote from billion for 8 200ah batteries. They are made by Lishen and have studs on them. First time I have done anything on alibaba so we will see how it goes.

Hi @Steve_S , what are you doing up ? Is it not about 3am there ? ;)
02:49 at this moment. I rest at weird times and wake at weird times. It has helped me when dealing with folks in China to be up & about at the same time they are. I am in the "Eastern Standard Time" zone.

@Gazoo (The Great & Wonderful from Flinstones ?)
My only concern is that when a vendor is so aggressive there is usually something else up and it is a RED Flag situation (experience there). That Doa character is an unknown entity to us here, unlike say Amy Wan from XUBA which many of us have dealt with. Combined experiences which have been documented here is a good lead as to who is a Known Good Vendor. Gosh... I guess I should post a thread listing Known Good Vendors... have to ponder that.

That Doa character is an unknown entity to us here, unlike say Amy Wan from XUBA which many of us have dealt with. Combined experiences which have been documented here is a good lead as to who is a Known Good Vendor. Gosh... I guess I should post a thread listing Known Good Vendors... have to ponder that.

Yes, in such a nebulous, non-transparent (and evolving) market, reputation, and reputable sellers that others have had good experiences with are worth their weight in gold.

As a counterpoint though, I am very grateful to those who do go out on a limb and try new sellers or new products, its risky, but sometimes fruitful. Five or six months ago Xuba and Amy were the unknown entities, and BLS, Battery Warehouse and maybe Deligreen were the semi-trusted AliX sellers. If nobody risked it with Xuba we never would've developed that connection.

So I guess what I'm saying is their is a balance. And I'm grateful for those who are willing to be the guinea pigs because its adds to our shared knowledge and leads to the development of new semi-trusted sellers.

One thing I liked about Heiwei Dao, is he or she was very willing to share their knowledge and started some posts that were purely informational which I learned a decent bit from. I think that was a pretty good faith way to try to earn our business, and stand out and demonstrate good will. I do agree that trying to make sales outside of the corporate section was over the line and slightly annoying. And I definitely agree that updating the shipping cost on an invoice without explicitly stating so is unacceptable.

CST time here but I am a night owl.

Yup...that Gazoo. Remember the days way back when citizen band radios were popular? My handle was Gazoo and I have been using that for my user name on forums since then.

The thing with Dao is I should have known better as many blocks as I have been around. I hope that anyone that may have ordered from him receives the goods. I did state order at your own risk. I would have ordered too except I run a very small business. It's a cash flow thing. I will have the funds this week. I will not be placing any orders with him. For those that may have they will be covered by Trade Assurance and their credit card protection as well as paypal if they paid that way. I liked he took paypal and they offer great protection. I am glad this Dao thing got nipped in the bud early.

I know Amy Wan is possibly the number one best contact and Xuba is great. But there are others that are good too. These are the batteries I requested a quote for.

So far Mr. Tim has replied with a data sheet and attached the PDF for these cells. I understand Billion is reputable. Like I said this will be my first time ordering through alibaba. Not nearly as nervous about it thanks to this forum and people like you Steve. I enjoy reading your informative posts. Thanks.

I have not heard of Lishen before. Do you know anything about there reputation, or if they a manufacturer or rebranded cells from a larger manufacturer?

edit: looks like an actual manufacturer "Tianjin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock Co., Ltd."

If they supply you with a datasheet, I would be curious to take a peak at it.

I think a handful of people have had generally positive experiences with that seller (Dongguan Billion) but I may be mistaking them with Dongguan Lightning.

Last edited:
I have not heard of Lishen before. Do you know anything about there reputation, or if they a manufacturer or rebranded cells from a larger manufacturer?

edit: looks like an actual manufacturer "Tianjin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock Co., Ltd."

If they supply you with a datasheet, I would be curious to take a peak at it.

I think a handful of people have had generally positive experiences with that seller (Dongguan Billion) but I may be mistaking them with Dongguan Lightning.

I know about Dongguan Lightning but this is Dongguan Billion. Caught your edit so yeah I looked at Lishen's website a few weeks ago. Heard about them from another seller that makes packs using Lishen cells.

Attached is what I received:

Attachments

• Lishen 202Ah.JPG
    Lishen 202Ah.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 10
  • lishen 202ah.pdf
    289.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Dzl
Yup...that Gazoo. Remember the days way back when citizen band radios were popular? My handle was Gazoo and I have been using that for my user name on forums since then.
Ohhh, I was the "One Eyed One Horned Flyin Purple People Eater" back in the day. My neighbour "Red Dog" was a Golden Eagle Base station and used to whomp me with his side band - we got to be friends and it was fun skipping signals to Australia.... Wooo... cool flashbacks.

Ironically, likey only <5% of the folks here know anything about Gazoo ! he was such a great character. lost in time & history now...

LISHEN BATTERY is a known smaller manufacturer and established, as I understand it, they made specialized cells for EV's and other things and have a fairly good rep.

Ohhh, I was the "One Eyed One Horned Flyin Purple People Eater" back in the day. My neighbour "Red Dog" was a Golden Eagle Base station and used to whomp me with his side band - we got to be friends and it was fun skipping signals to Australia.... Wooo... cool flashbacks.

Ironically, likey only <5% of the folks here know anything about Gazoo ! he was such a great character. lost in time & history now...

LISHEN BATTERY is a known smaller manufacturer and established, as I understand it, they made specialized cells for EV's and other things and have a fairly good rep.

Yeah Gazoo was cool. I don't know how many appearances he made on The Flintstones but he was my favorite character on that show. I love The Flintstones. "One Eyed One Horned Flyin Purple People Eater" Lol. That's cool though. Those were the days.

Yeah..I got whomped too back in the mid 80's There was this guy that had a ham radio setup that lived right behind me. When he transmitted it came through my speakers even though my receiver was off. I didn't become friends with him....lol. As I recall it eventually stopped maybe because someone complained. It might have been me but I don't remember. It was awful while it lasted.

I think Lishen is ok. Looking at the spec sheet the studs are 9mm. That's beefy. Great price but still need to get the shipping cost. The rest of the specs are typical for a Lifepo4 battery. Still gonna shop around. I am in no hurry and have plenty of time on my hands.

I heard back from Mr. Tim at Dongguan Billion Electronic Tech. So my total cost DDP Sea for 8 200 amp cells is right at $600.00. That's $100.00 less than Heiwei Dao. The difference is Dao's cells are CALB and these are Lishen. Seems like $600.00 is a fair price to me. Anyone else have thoughts?

I heard back from Mr. Tim at Dongguan Billion Electronic Tech. So my total cost DDP Sea for 8 200 amp cells is right at $600.00. That's $100.00 less than Heiwei Dao. The difference is Dao's cells are CALB and these are Lishen. Seems like $600.00 is a fair price to me. Anyone else have thoughts?
What is the difference between each cells?

1C continuous charge and discharge rates for the CALB and Lishen. CALB cycle life varies depending on what the seller posts and I don't have the spec sheet for the CATL. The Lishen is 3000 cycles from fully charged to 2.5 volts and will have 80% capacity left. The biggest difference is the Lishen have posts on the cells.

In my experience CALB cells always have a significant premium compared to comparably sized blue aluminums on Aliexpress or or Alibaba. $100 more is actually very reasonable from what I've seen if that is accurate. However, I have a hunch that you may be referring to CATL (blue aluminum) not CALB (grey or blue ribbed plastic).

As to the quote you got, $600 for 8 x 200 Ah seems like a very fair deal.

Oops...sorry. You are right I meant CATL cells...lol Thanks for noticing. I tried to edit the post but it was too late. Yeah I have looked at CALB cells but they are out of my price range. Just about everyone knows the EVE 280ah batteries are a very fair deal. I simply don't need that much power. In fact 200ah is probably over kill. But it's hard to resist that price. And I really like the cell posts.

Thanks for posting this, you had recommended Heiwei Dao in another thread and I was/am really close to ordering cells from them... they quoted me $400 for 4x280ah shipped, saying it was $5 per kg. I may still do it, but am getting a couple more quotes first. I'll be using a credit card so I'm not too worried about it.

Back