diy solar

diy solar

Why two positive and two negative terminals on a server rack battery?

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
Will recently posted a teardown of the upcoming SOK 48V 100Ah server rack LiFePO₄ battery. I noticed it has two positive and two negative terminals. This might end in a face palm but can someone give some examples of why this would be useful? In typical setups with multiple batteries in parallel it's just as easy to put two wires on one terminal.

Last edited:
It is so you can hook up multiple batteries, in parallel .. battery to battery.
But that is easily done by putting two wires on one terminal, just like every other battery out there.

There are terminal protectors just like the 12v SOK batteries being provided, so the connections can properly be shielded and safeguarded when installed. These protectors are not very good for installing 2 cables on one terminal. There will also be a protector for terminals not in use.

I don't believe Will showed in the video, but there is a nice thick busbar connecting the two terminals together inside, that can easily handle a few hundred amps.

For those who have not seen the 12v batteries I mentioned
1642741624737.png

But that is easily done by putting two wires on one terminal, just like every other battery out there.
It's preferable for a conductor lug to be mated directly to the battery terminal's surface rather than sit on top of another conductor's lug. It maximises surface area of contact and ensures each connection has the same (lower) resistance. All neater for installing protective insulation caps over the lugs/terminals

Twice as many chances to shock yourself.
No!

If stacking stiff, thick cables and “something happens” one wild free cable could contact something and a very bad day is commenced.

One cable at a time is less dangerous.

But they are probably there for easy connection of battery banks PLUS versatility to use two cables to feed an inverter or pair of inverters etc.

I have 8 12V batteries in 4P2P for 12V battery bank. Stacking cables is a very slow methodical thing to help insure that I don’t have a cable spring free and potentially blow up batteries or something less dramatic but undesirable.

So...I have taken apart (4) four12.8v 100Amp batteries (removed shells, and old bms's). Turns out the batteries are pouch cells. Purpose? I have removed the individual cheap bms's to consolidate them to a single 48v BMS. Question #1: why do these pouch cells have two (+) Postive screws and two (-) negative screws?
Question #2: how do I wire these batteries in series? Do I use one wire as per + to - or two wires ( one wire from each + to each -? (The photo shows only two of four batteries)20240302_140643.jpg

Last edited:
So...I have taken apart (4) four12.8v 100Amp batteries (removed shells, and old bms's). Turns out the batteries are pouch cells. Purpose? I have removed the individual cheap bms's to consolidate them to a single 48v BMS. Question #1: why do these pouch cells have two (+) Postive screws and two (-) negative screws?
Question #2: how do I wire these batteries in series? Do I use one wire as per + to - or two wires ( one wire from each + to each -? (The photo shows only two of four batteries)View attachment 199554
Update: I was able to figure it out. JK BMS is damn slick!20240302_200422.jpgScreenshot_20240302_200654_BMS.jpg

Back