diy solar

diy solar

WWWS (what would Will Say) EG4 vs SOK server rack battery

Dexter, what about Magnum Energy inverters? I'm specifically working with the MS4448PAE, but I thought those were like one of the old standards.
It's a definite no for communications, this would only work in a voltage-controlled method.

I feel that Magnum quality has gone down drastically in recent years, for the price point and functionality, you are better off with a Victron that is much more efficient and can do so much more.

It's a definite no for communications, this would only work in a voltage-controlled method.

I feel that Magnum quality has gone down drastically in recent years, for the price point and functionality, you are better off with a Victron that is much more efficient and can do so much more.
Well, at least I know. My Magnum is 10 years old and running strong...doesn't make sense to just toss it and spend more money :)

We have @Koldsimer's batteries, they run all of the schneider 5548, 6048, 6848NA and 6848 pro on hand.
One of the largest Schneider dealers in the USA (Zonna Energy) has bought thousands of packs from us since last year (BTW their wholesale price model is the best value by far on Schneider, Outback and Victron currently https://www.zonnaenergy.com/)
That website is frustrating. Everything I clicked just said, "Become a dealer"

Couldn't price a thing.

Wow! Glad to hear the CurrentConnected / SOK server rack battery is capable of (and has been bench tested for) closed loop communication with Sunny Island (as well as multiple other inverters mentioned by High Tech Lab).
I'm off grid with a DC coupled Sunny Island set-up, and have been looking to upgrade my old FLA battery bank. Since I lack the expertise to build my own battery pack, am unwilling to pay the excessive price for the SMA "recommended" LiFePO4 batteries, and am unwilling to risk a cheaper Chinese branded server rack battery, I limited my search to those batteries reviewed by Will.
So I contacted Energetech, Signature Solar, Jakiper, Trophy, and Current Connected / SOK ( as well as Sigineer and a couple Chineese branded batteries just for comparison).
The responses could not be more different.
Dexter at Current Connected / SOK was by far the most responsive to my emails and was actually willing to go out and get a Sunny Island for testing. (As a result I placed a pre-order for 4 SOK batteries). I feel confident that even with the pending firmware update, if I have a problem Current Connected will be available for assistance.
Dan at Trophy Battery also deserves special mention. (After ordering the SOK batteries), I received an email that Trophy also supports CAN Bus communication with Sunny Island.
Everyone else was less than helpful, and some just blew me off!
Since the build quality of all these batteries is pretty similar, I think those that distinguish themselves with superior service and compatibility will be the most successful.

Wow! Glad to hear the CurrentConnected / SOK server rack battery is capable of (and has been bench tested for) closed loop communication with Sunny Island (as well as multiple other inverters mentioned by High Tech Lab).

Here is our video showing how to establish the communication with an SMA Sunny Island. Super easy!!!

EDIT: See post on page 4

Last edited:
Thank you for the video, Dexter. It seems setting up the Sunny Island (SI) with the SOK battery will be easier than with my old FLA batteries.
One thing I would mention is to make sure the SI firmware is updated to at least version 7.3 (P.44 of the owner manual). SMA has a nice video on how to do this.
I'm assuming the "first batch" of batteries you will be shipping later this month will have the updated firmware to accommodate the SI.
I'm also assuming the batteries will be shipped partially charged. I don't own a Li battery charger. Will it be acceptable to hook up the batteries (4 in parallel) partially charged to the SI, and then allow the SI to fully charge the batteries?

Thank you for the video, Dexter. It seems setting up the Sunny Island (SI) with the SOK battery will be easier than with my old FLA batteries.
One thing I would mention is to make sure the SI firmware is updated to at least version 7.3 (P.44 of the owner manual). SMA has a nice video on how to do this.
I'm assuming the "first batch" of batteries you will be shipping later this month will have the updated firmware to accommodate the SI.
I'm also assuming the batteries will be shipped partially charged. I don't own a Li battery charger. Will it be acceptable to hook up the batteries (4 in parallel) partially charged to the SI, and then allow the SI to fully charge the batteries?
We will update all batteries before shipping, and the factory is already updating the settings on the 3rd batch. Yes, this does mean a lot of extra work to get these shipped, but it will be totally worth it.

They ship at 30% SOC. You can connect in parallel no problem and then use the SI as your charger. The batteries have a current limiting circuit inside, so even if you connected a pack at 0% with a pack at 100%, the limiter would kick in and reduce the charging current to 10a on the over-discharged battery.

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on the SOK server rack battery other than Will?

How does the BMS work in terms of UL-- is it a component listing/is it component listed?
Currently it's not listed - we are working on a full UL listing for the battery as a whole. The only part that is UL listed are the cells themselves - and honestly for off grid applications (even hybrid applications) UL listing really doesn't come into play. It's only recently that municipalities are starting to require full UL listed parts and components. That's why we are moving in that direction, because it will likely continue to spread. People probably won't be affected by this at all for years to come.

It's only recently that municipalities are starting to require full UL listed parts and components.
Doesn't the requirement in the NEC go back to 2008 or 2011? It might have been made more explicit since then, but the intent has always been clear that a manufactured electrical product needs to be listed; it was only field-assembled systems that did not require system listing.

Matters to anybody concerned about homeowner's insurance covering a fire.

Doesn't the requirement in the NEC go back to 2008 or 2011? It might have been made more explicit since then, but the intent has always been clear that a manufactured electrical product needs to be listed; it was only field-assembled systems that did not require system listing.

Matters to anybody concerned about homeowner's insurance covering a fire.
Ture - but largely depends on how the system is implemented and where you are located.

“We have @Koldsimer's batteries, they run all of the schneider 5548, 6048, 6848NA and 6848 pro on hand.” Customers love comments like this insinuating that essentially nothing is wrong with the batteries but is just user error… After everything he experienced there was clearly an issue with the battery and the only way he could get an exchange was driving the batteries back to SS and even then refusing to take used batteries. Let’s test this warranty. SS send me a replacement battery under warranty so I can send my faulty one back that faults with next to no load.

“We have @Koldsimer's batteries, they run all of the schneider 5548, 6048, 6848NA and 6848 pro on hand.” Customers love comments like this insinuating that essentially nothing is wrong with the batteries but is just user error… After everything he experienced there was clearly an issue with the battery and the only way he could get an exchange was driving the batteries back to SS and even then refusing to take used batteries. Let’s test this warranty. SS send me a replacement battery under warranty so I can send my faulty one back that faults with next to no load.
Hey looks like you are searching for all the threads about our batteries - as I said in the other one, I'm happy to help where I can. We have a tech support team who I will assist and as soon as we have your info so we can find the issue we will fix it or happily do what we need to in order for you to have a working system.

SOK 48v100ah battery now supports communication with SMA Sunny Island. Have been testing the last few days and finally got things working & documented

To summarize, SOK now fully supports communications AND HAS BEEN TESTED/PROVEN IN-HOUSE with:

Growatt (Models that support protocol "L52")

How can we check to see if a model supports this L52 protocol. The Growatt inverter I'm considering is this one:
https://www.growatt-america.com/show-42-649.html

I don't see anything in the manual mentioning L52.

Thanks!

Back