diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex Freedom X 2000W inverter - poor AC connection due to friction fit connections

mkaye

as much as i like this inverter, i don't like the push-in contacts for the AC
last year my 120VAC quit while at an RV park, traced to poor connection on input AC wires
after the trip i removed the inverter from under the sink to rework the 10ga wires
i thought i had good connections
here i am on the Gaspesie in Forillon and the uwave flickered and went out
checked the power & everything looked good, even in inverter mode, looked good, but no output
under the sink again
i could see the insulation of the black output AC wire melted
cleaned it up best i could and pushed it back in, but the connector is burnt - i'll need a new connector
hopefully work until i get home in a couple of weeks

no, mine are different - not lever
just push in, small screw driver needed to release

An inverter with push in wire connections . . . . mounted under a sink?? What could possibly go wrong?

Don

I would open the inverter and change the connector. Or just change the inverter.
I really loath any stab connections on anything.

any idea what i need as a replacement connector
the lever connectors on the newer units would be nice
i've done a quick search, but don't see anything that matches
each is a separate connector - 6 in all

the problem is bending the 10g wire after the strain relief - not much space
a larger wire would be a bigger problem

any idea what i need as a replacement connector
the lever connectors on the newer units would be nice
i've done a quick search, but don't see anything that matches
each is a separate connector - 6 in all

the problem is bending the 10g wire after the strain relief - not much space
a larger wire would be a bigger problem
I replaced the terminal blocks in mine with wago 41xs
The are good for up to 12 awg.
If you want to use 10 awg use 61xs

I hate those connectors. SJ's idea looks good. IMO push in connectors are pure junk.

@smoothJoey Love the new avatar and tagline. Brilliant.

What were they thinking? It's gonna be a portable thing of some sort and they didn't want you to have to go to the trouble of removing six screws to get the wires off so you could easily move it from place to place???

I installed Xantrex inverters on 7 or 8 sailboats nearly 25 years ago for friends and neighbors at our marina - I had one on my own boat as well. Nearly all of them failed after very little use, most shortly after the warranty had expired. I repaired mine myself, removing a $5 Mexican sourced relay which switches the 30 amp AC power from shore power to inverter power. After those experiences, I've never bought anything from them again. They had screw terminals back then

Don

My Xantrex inverter is a good 15 years old and still cranking out the AC.

Contact Xantrex and see if they have something to replace those connections. The worst they can do it say, "No."

xantrex doesn't sell parts, but i found a repair shop in Toronto, emailed them yesterday

wago - i have used them, but the current connectors are soldered on the bottom, did you just run a short piece of wire to the wago connector & then fit everything in?
i am assuming soldered, i can't see the back of them at the moment

xantrex doesn't sell parts, but i found a repair shop in Toronto, emailed them yesterday

wago - i have used them, but the current connectors are soldered on the bottom, did you just run a short piece of wire to the wago connector & then fit everything in?
My inverter had wires terminated on the white plastic terminal blocks.
Very hard to work with(for me) so I swapped them for wago 221-412s.
677-02.jpg

Can you show us a picture of your ac terminals?

xantrex.jpg
the company in Toronto says can't get replacements & the new levers won't fit
suggest finding a broken unit to steal the connectors
anyone have a source?
haven't given up on wago yet, just exploring my options
i find it odd because i installed this 1 this spring in a friends camper and it has the same connectors as mine

Back