diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

My Higee 120Ah cells from XUBA shipped today via sea. 16 of them for a golf cart battery build.

I uploaded the Specification sheet for these cells to the Resources section:

Now the planning starts for creating a box and securing them into the golf cart. Is there a reason for not using something like SEABOARD (HDPE plastic) in combination with some aluminum angle? I'm more comfortable cutting HDPE than aluminum. Should the batteries be entirely enclosed or just the top to protect from shorts? My initial thought is to use HDPE sheets from the top and ends with aluminum angle to joing them together and then 3D print a top and bottom cap (like Frey/Forunte cells use) that accepts a threaded rod to lock everything together with the HDPE ends? Any thoughts on any of my questions?

Attachments

• 1ea95d4532df6684403f73fbb1858a35.jpg
    1ea95d4532df6684403f73fbb1858a35.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 0873920d01297eba5bac32387e370d92 (1).jpg
    0873920d01297eba5bac32387e370d92 (1).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 32
Ok, seems this is the active site for these batteries.... I asked on the "Just Placed an Order..." thread.... I received my batteries and can now see the problem of the busbars being ok side to side, but not end to end.. too short. Anyone know which online site to buy the right sized ones to fit the other way?
Just realized that in a 8s pack, I only need one such end to end busbar, right? That sucks! Hardly worth buying online... is there something at a hardware store? I remember others making their own... smashing copper tubing or something... are there flat pieces at a hardware store to just drill out the one needed? What have others making a 8s pack done? Just one longer busbar... can't believe it... thought it was at least two... .but the other two are the leads... and aren't connected....
Wow,... one longer busbar needed...:censored:
For my 8s 24 V battery build using the 280 AH LiFePo4 Xuba cells, I purchased a 6' long piece of 0.1875" x 1.00" copper bar stock from Online Metals and cut them into 14 x ~10.5 cm bars and 1 x ~11.5 cm bar (for the long piece) and drilled 5/16" terminal holes with a drill press. The reason I cut 14 bars is because when I first got the cells I wanted to top balance them with all the cells in parallel which required 14 pieces to do that (probable overkill). In my final 8s configuration, I use 6 x ~10.5 cm bars and 1 x ~11.5 cm bar. The other bars are in storage in case I ever need to top balance the cells again (or I buy more batteries ;-)).

Can someone post a photo of the busbars they received with their 280 AH LiFePo4 Xuba cells and distance center to center of the holes. Thanks

I don't have a photo right now, but they have to be steel, not aluminum... too heavy for aluminum, right? Someone confirm that? Is steel better or worse than aluminum? For an 8s setup, I only need one longer one... hardware store has both aluminum flat and steel... these look and feel steel.

I don't have a photo right now, but they have to be steel, not aluminum... too heavy for aluminum, right? Someone confirm that? Is steel better or worse than aluminum? For an 8s setup, I only need one longer one... hardware store has both aluminum flat and steel... these look and feel steel.

Or possibly tinned copper?

You're right....not magnetic... so now I have to get a tinned copper to match or just a copper piece.... seems making my own is the last option here....
These are about 3.5 inches... and the 8s setup needs about a 4 incher to fit that one that crosses.

At the hardware store, two of the busbars sent, seemed a little thicker than the 1/8" stock I was looking at... so maybe ~ 3/16"?

PS... Or, that because of the gap between 2 pieces? Would buying a piece of 1/8" x 1" copper flat stock work? Just cut and drill to fit?

Last edited:
Measured.... just over an 1/8" thick... two of them together so the screws don't bottom out, right? Is that the tinning process? adds ~1/32" I think, not a 1/16"... more like a 1/32".... so perhaps buy some flat copper 1/8" stock? Cut and drill to fit?

I see a 1" piece for sale... but the terminals are only about 5/8"... so trim that down too or just leave the extra width on the terminals? Isn't it easier or cheaper to buy a flat piece? or use my little sledge hammer on a small copper pipe piece? Do they sell copper pipe in small pieces? I'd only need about 4" for that one cross piece in a 8s build. Anyone know off hand?

Last edited:
What BMS would yall run if you ran 4s4p of these 280ahs? (12 volt system, 1120ah)

What BMS would yall run if you ran 4s4p of these 280ahs? (12 volt system, 1120ah)

The answer to this depends heavily on your maximum current draw.

4S4P = 4 x individual 4 cell battery packs, so 4 BMS'
4P4S = 1 x 16 Cell battery pack, so 1 BMS

I have (2) 12v/3000va victron inverters so max draw they could each hit is roughly 220a or 440a combined.

Then you will need a or 4 BMS that can cut batteries off at 280 Amp draw as that is the max any one bank can handle. If it were me i would go 2p4s2p that way each abnk can handle up to 560Amp draw although you wouldn't want to draw that for too long. This would also allow for just 2 BMS

I share your frustration. My previous experience with Winstons and Thunderskys was that the distance was the same end to end as side by side. I am making my own because I only need a few.
A short piece of welding cable and two lugs. I used two longer ones I had when I paralleled my cells to Top Balance them. I had them already and only needed them for a short time. If I was to buy more cells, I would double my buss bar order. That would give me enough to connect them in Parallel and I could double up them when I built the pack.

I have (2) 12v/3000va victron inverters so max draw they could each hit is roughly 220a or 440a combined.

Technically, the surge rating is 2 x 6000W. Normally we don't design around that, but normally the surge is a few milliseconds to a few seconds. With the Victron Multiplus, the surge rating is a 2 minute rating. I'm not sure if that can be ignored (that's a question as much as a statement). Of course if you don't have any loads that will exceed the 6kw combined rating of your inverters, than it can probably be ignored.

In either case, that is a really large inverter load for 12v.

Ignoring Surge: 6000W / 0.9 efficiency / 12v = 555A (275A per inverter)
With Surge: 12000W / 0.9 efficiency / 12v = 1111A (555A per inverter)

Last edited:
Technically, the surge rating is 2 x 6000W. Normally we don't design around that, but normally the surge is a few milliseconds to a few seconds. With the Victron Multiplus, the surge rating is a 2 minute rating. I'm not sure if that can be ignored (that's a question as much as a statement). Of course if you don't have any loads that will exceed the 6kw combined rating of your inverters, than it can probably be ignored.
I think a 2 minute surge should be accounted for in one way or another very good point. I wouldn't worry about a milisecond surge

Assuming a power factor of 1 and 90% efficiency I make that 275 amps per inverter. That's 550 amps. The bms etc should be sized to tolerate a single string going offline.

Back