diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

IF you look at the Function bar at the top when your editing, the 2nd from the right looks like a 3.5" FDD, it saves drafts while being written and can be recalled IF you lose them, even if you get disconnected, worst case you might lose 2 minutes worth of typing if that. You original post that was LONG is likely still stuffed into the backup. BTW: You can have several for many threads al at once but they are only active in the specific thread.

YEP .. that has saved me more than once --especially when Whiskey was somehow involved in the writing effort ...

YEP .. that has saved me more than once --especially when Whiskey was somehow involved in the writing effort ...
Have you tried John Rich's Redneck Riviera Whiskey? That stuff goes down real SMOOTH.....

Drunk and on here is safer to my wallet, than drunk + Amazon.....

Last edited:
Have you tried John Rich's Redneck Riviera Whiskey? That stuff goes down real SMOOTH.....

Drunk and on here is safer to my wallet, than drunk + Amazon.....

SOOO being from LA originally I thought all drinks had to be different colours and sweet and names so long it took 20 seconds to tell the bartender what you wanted ...

THEN I got assigned to Texas where there is only three things ... Beer (doesn't matter what beer - whatever they hand you is apparently "THE BEER" you asked for) ... Tequila (from rot-gut that you could start a D-10 that's been setting for 30 years with - all the way to some of that Mexican really nice really smooth stuff that you have to be careful of because it sneaks up on you) .. and Whiskey. NOW for Whiskey - I think that I have tried - or at least had a shot of - virtually every thing they can get in S. TEXAS... and was doing OK -- until I discovered JACK DANIELS TENNESSEE HONEY .. SOOOO we have these freezers out here that keeps some weird chemical that they use like -20F ... If you put a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey in there and let it sit for half a day ... it is as smooth as silk ... I mean OMG smooth -- I like to call it Liquid Sunshine but then ppl start asking if I ever go to meetings and well -- I digress ... BUT NO have not had John Rich's Redneck Riviera Whiskey - but i will look for it in town when we go in once a week and let you know ...

Thx

SOOO being from LA originally I thought all drinks had to be different colours and sweet and names so long it took 20 seconds to tell the bartender what you wanted ...

THEN I got assigned to Texas where there is only three things ... Beer (doesn't matter what beer - whatever they hand you is apparently "THE BEER" you asked for) ... Tequila (from rot-gut that you could start a D-10 that's been setting for 30 years with - all the way to some of that Mexican really nice really smooth stuff that you have to be careful of because it sneaks up on you) .. and Whiskey. NOW for Whiskey - I think that I have tried - or at least had a shot of - virtually every thing they can get in S. TEXAS... and was doing OK -- until I discovered JACK DANIELS TENNESSEE HONEY .. SOOOO we have these freezers out here that keeps some weird chemical that they use like -20F ... If you put a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey in there and let it sit for half a day ... it is as smooth as silk ... I mean OMG smooth -- I like to call it Liquid Sunshine but then ppl start asking if I ever go to meetings and well -- I digress ... BUT NO have not had John Rich's Redneck Riviera Whiskey - but i will look for it in town when we go in once a week and let you know ...

Thx
You need to try JD Tennessee Fire. Same thing, put it in the freezer. Pour a shot, take a sip, then a sip of ice water. The flavor just explodes all over your tongue. Mine stays in the freezer, but only -2F. Oh BTW, I'm a JD Tennessee Squire......

BAD DEVICE REPORT
CRAPADITY ! Bad advert and worse !!!
THE CELL CHARGER
/me doing a severe Fred Flinstone Ruckus

DEVICE REPORT !
OK here we go.
  1. It arrived VERY LATE ! My total was $125 including Expedited Shipping ! Yeah what a pile ! Paid extra as I needed it FAST.
  2. NO AC Power cord supplied, luckily uses a standard computer power supply cable.
  3. No Documents, Manual or even simple instructions. (got to use their AD as the "manual")
  4. Labels cover it in CHINESE ! I speak 5 languages but NOT Chinese.
  5. Adjustable Voltage 3-15V BULL HOOEY ! IT IS NOT !!! Sure you can manually dial it up or down with a screw driver but ONLY 3V +/-, try to dial it down to anything below 12V and it starts busing and you can hear things that sound like frying bacon ! SEEMS YOU CANNOT DO INDIVIDUAL CELLS ! 4S packs yes @ 14.6V ... FALSE ADVERT POINT They seem to allow for adjustment for 4-Cells to be between 3.2-4.2V X 4 cells 12.8V to 16.8 and I have my doubts about that too.
  6. Suspiciously, on closer examination, this seems to be a Used PS refurbished out of a Dell / HP Server
I CANNOT RECOMEND or SUGGEST This product due to what I got. I did point out that I ordered this and some people bought based on that BUT BEFORE I actually received it (yesterday). Folks, we got PHOOKERED ! @ghostwriter66 sorry dear but at least it's Oil Co money that you wasted. Maybe you or someone else can translate the printing on this thing.

BTW: I'm already quite PEROLATED and do not need / want any "Anti-China BS" or any of that kid of nonsense, so keep it to yourselves unless you have something constructive or positive to contribute. IC COGOGO in my opinion now is a SHLOCK DEALER ! Use them at YOUR OWN RISK !

PHOTO of my Charger... FULL SIZED for readability, in the hopes that someone can translate this.
View attachment 10073

Thanks in Advance for assistance with the printed verbage.
So much for "Individual" cell testing ! The load tester, sure but charging single cells is NOT an option because of this piece of Sh**.

I suggest that you buy a proper balancing charger and pair it with a quality 1000W (36V @ 30A) DC power supply. This just looks like a voltage regulator paired with a power supply - there's no intelligence in that package. These ISDT 1000W chargers have been reliably used within the FPV market on a variety of chemistries for years.

I've been reading this thread with interest since I'm considering purchasing a large quantity of these 280Ah cells and I've noticed a recurring theme on fuses. Fuses exist to protect 2 critical elements of an electrical system:

1) to protect from overcurrent from a power source within the circuit.
2) to protect from overcurrent in a wire which can heat up and catch fire.

A fuse should be rated for the lower of the 2 above. If you're running smaller gauge wire, the fuse should be rated for the maximum continuous current rating for this wire, not for the maximum current draw of the battery.

I've noticed most people on here running extremely large fuses to protect the power source, in this case the battery, but very few are taking into consideration their relatively small gauge wire they're running. Guys running 3mm (8AWG) wire with 200A fuses is a recipe for disaster. If you're running 200A fuses, you better be sure you're running 10mm (0AWG) cable wire even on small lengths, otherwise you're asking for trouble. In this case, your wire is acting as the fuse and it's not going to be as quick at disconnecting a load as a purpose designed DC fuse should be.

If you have little electrical knowledge and aren't sure of what you're doing with projects such as this (especially large current circuits), it's advised to engage the services of professionals.

Last edited:
Hi Gyrex, Well written, thoughtful, informative posting. Alas professionals rarely if ever teach us much if they are engaged to "do something for us". With the assistance of smart people such as yourself, many people can learn and build safe systems even if they start off not sure of what they are doing. The knowledge one gains doing something, and taking the time to learn to avoid the fatal pitfalls, is worth far more than the high cost of a professional. Just my two cents worth. Clear, logical, experienced advice such as you provided above is much appreciated. In my life I've found the chance of finding a really good professional, not just someone with the certificates, is low. In any field.

The knowledge one gains doing something, and taking the time to learn to avoid the fatal pitfalls, is worth far more than the high cost of a professional.

The problem is that these "pitfalls" have the very real potential to be fatal. Whilst the chemistry might be safer with LiFePO4 cells over Li-Ion, the risk remains that if people don't know what they're doing, they run the risk of incinerating themselves and/or their families. There's plenty of videos on youtube and news stories about DIY 'Powerwall' builders burning down their house, sometimes with their beloved family inside it. The risk of fire/catastrophe doesn't stop at the battery - there's plenty of other components, wires and other elements of an electrical system which can cause fires to the uninitiated. For example, I've also seen people using AC rated breakers for DC circuits - another potentially dangerous component which may not operate as a failsafe as expected.

Last edited:

Thx
I am never without a flask of jack in my truck no matter when, no matter where.

The problem is that these "pitfalls" have the very real potential to be fatal. Whilst the chemistry might be safer with LiFePO4 cells over Li-Ion, the risk remains that if people don't know what they're doing, they run the risk of incinerating themselves and/or their families. There's plenty of videos on youtube and news stories about DIY 'Powerwall' builders burning down their house, sometimes with their beloved family inside it. The risk of fire/catastrophe doesn't stop at the battery - there's plenty of other components, wires and other elements of an electrical system which can cause fires to the uninitiated. For example, I've also seen people using AC rated fuses for DC circuits - another potentially dangerous component which may not operate as a failsafe as expected.
OK, there are AC, DC, and AC/DC circuit breakers, but exactly which FUSES are AC only?

I like the idea of Will being big time Lifepo4 dealer.. but...

In the past I've tried things like this in smaller scale, a few hundred, not thousands of items.

I stopped.
USA is different, in Europe, Netherlands, customer rights are HIGH!

Scandinavia even worse. If your new wet jeans rub off to your leather couch, and it as not told/shown clearly enough that this might happen...
The seller must buy new couch...

China price might be low, but the additional costs I needed to make, include all insurance for crazy claims...
Not worth it.

I even tried with second hand goods, as customer protection is better for the seller..
Still not worth the hassle.

Buying a load and sell it to a big shopping centre... That stays nice :)

For the busbars..
I like the ideas I'm reading.
Between 2 iron plates is good way to make flat.

I can buy brass rods and make them flat. (About 10mm tick)
Or use air-conditioning tube, but they ain't wide.
Or aluminium strips that can be same wide as the terminals or even little wider.

Please give advice what of the 3 options would be best!!
- Thanks!

Really sad that the copper is not for sale here at the "watsadu" (home improvement stores)
We have many different names, most of them sell the same :)
Global home, home pro, Dohome, really creative... Lol.

Buy from China is not attractive.

@Sgt Raven

My active balancer BMS also showed higher rating then I provided at the start, after a few cycles.
Apparently it can see/calculate how much you can really use.

I really did like that BMS.
Sadly it couldn't handle 90A charging.

With the seller IC GOGOGO store we came to a good solution to use the Daly 250A for BMS and active balancer to do the rest, for acceptable reduced pricing.

The defective BMS is going back to them, once Thailand starts accepting parcels out of Thailand again.
Now it is domestic only (??)

I really do need the higher charge rating, but for those that don't need that "crazy" high (close to or over 100A)
The active BT BMS balancer is a good one!

Fuse/breaker. Old habit from the days where homes used to use ceramic fuse housings with fuse wire.
I still have a sub-panel that takes screw in fuses. Are you claiming if I put 30 amps DC thru a 30 amp AC fuse it wouldn't blow?

As for circuit breakers, most here would preach using DC rated ones for DC circuits. But they don't have to be a DC only breaker. You can get AC/DC rated ones, too. Even Home Depot caries them.

If you're gonna preach at us, then better keep your facts straight when doing so.

I still have a sub-panel that takes screw in fuses. Are you claiming if I put 30 amps DC thru a 30 amp AC fuse it wouldn't blow?

As for circuit breakers, most here would preach using DC rated ones for DC circuits. But they don't have to be a DC only breaker. You can get AC/DC rated ones, too. Even Home Depot caries them.

If you're gonna preach at us, then better keep your facts straight when doing so.

I'm not preaching. It appears you're taking offence to someone who's made some casual observations about some potential safety issues I've seen on this thread which seems bizarre and irrational. What facts aren't "straight"? The fact that I didn't mention AC/DC breakers? A nominally intelligent person would conclude that they're rated for DC circuits.

I have no idea what your aggression issue is but surely people using under-gauged wire in high current applications would be something worth pointing out and helpful to the uninitiated.

I'm not preaching. It appears you're taking offence to someone who's made some casual observations about some potential safety issues I've seen on this thread which seems bizarre and irrational. What facts aren't "straight"? The fact that I didn't mention AC/DC breakers? A nominally intelligent person would conclude that they're rated for DC circuits.

I have no idea what your aggression issue is but surely people using under-gauged wire in high current applications would be something worth pointing out and helpful to the uninitiated.
1. Don't link some opinion piece that does not give a real example of which fuses are AC only. Is the 10 amp glass fuse in my DMM a AC or DC fuse? Is the glass AGC15 in the back of my AC powered Stereo a AC or DC fuse? That stands for Automotive Glass Cartridge yet it is used in AC circuits. I really want to know make and model, which AC fuse would not interrupt a DC circuit above the level it blows at. Are you the author of that piece?

I guess you can't see the TONE of all your posts in this whole forum. What exactly are your bonifies?
From your first post it reads as if you're saying I'm gonna set all these hilly billy hicks straight.

I like the idea of Will being big time Lifepo4 dealer.. but...

In the past I've tried things like this in smaller scale, a few hundred, not thousands of items.

I stopped.
USA is different, in Europe, Netherlands, customer rights are HIGH!

Scandinavia even worse. If your new wet jeans rub off to your leather couch, and it as not told/shown clearly enough that this might happen...
The seller must buy new couch...

China price might be low, but the additional costs I needed to make, include all insurance for crazy claims...
Not worth it.

I even tried with second hand goods, as customer protection is better for the seller..
Still not worth the hassle.

Buying a load and sell it to a big shopping centre... That stays nice :)

For the busbars..
I like the ideas I'm reading.
Between 2 iron plates is good way to make flat.

I can buy brass rods and make them flat. (About 10mm tick)
Or use air-conditioning tube, but they ain't wide.
Or aluminium strips that can be same wide as the terminals or even little wider.

Please give advice what of the 3 options would be best!!
- Thanks!

Really sad that the copper is not for sale here at the "watsadu" (home improvement stores)
We have many different names, most of them sell the same :)
Global home, home pro, Dohome, really creative... Lol.

Buy from China is not attractive.

OH please stay away from aluminum .. I think it has the conductivity of only 67% of copper - but i am away from my notebook right now ... BUT we stay away from aluminum at all cost ...

my suggestion -- as i have said before -- 1/2 pipe under a board with a truck running over it to get it started -- finish up with a 5 lb sledge to smooth it out ..

I am never without a flask of jack in my truck no matter when, no matter where.

We have a Komatsu D575 Earth pusher out here - its HUGE - The top of the tread is a foot taller than me ... so sometimes we catch rides with the dozer operators to go to a part of somewhere our trucks won't make it ... The first time I got up in the cab of the Komatsu the operator who looked like some guy that had served 3 life sentences for murdering someone with his bare hands (but he actually turns out to be a teddy-bear) told me - "You can have any of the Bottle Water in the cab or on the Track - drink as much as you want -- BUT NEVER TOUCH MY THERMOS" ... all of us engineers have had hours of discussions of what could be in the Thermos ...

OH please stay away from aluminum .. I think it has the conductivity of only 67% of copper - but i am away from my notebook right now ... BUT we stay away from aluminum at all cost ...

my suggestion -- as i have said before -- 1/2 pipe under a board with a truck running over it to get it started -- finish up with a 5 lb sledge to smooth it out ..
PG&E uses a lot of aluminum wire, but I think it is because making up for the line loss is cheaper than using all copper. Plus theft is less of an issue with aluminum than copper. Their usage is 3 or 4 times aluminum over copper. At one job I had I hauled 20' debris boxes of aluminum, copper and ferrous metal from their yards.

Back