diy solar

diy solar

Y and H 8.2 hybrid inverter help

neilcoates72

Hi all
I have just had a new inverter by y and h. its an 8.2 kwh hybrid inverter with an led light showing blue red or purple for the source of power it is on.

I have 3 kw of panel
4 x 12v 170ah batteries in series making a 48v bank
Grid tied to 230v of the house.

my smart meter shows i am using the solar power and the batteries are 100% chargeed but of an evening the batteries dont kick in to take place of the panels.

my question is basicalley is that how it works or is it something i am doing wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 16
Hi all
I have just had a new inverter by y and h. its an 8.2 kwh hybrid inverter with an led light showing blue red or purple for the source of power it is on.

I have 3 kw of panel
4 x 12v 170ah batteries in series making a 48v bank
Grid tied to 230v of the house.

my smart meter shows i am using the solar power and the batteries are 100% chargeed but of an evening the batteries dont kick in to take place of the panels.

my question is basicalley is that how it works or is it something i am doing wrong.
Link to precise model? I’m general there is a setting you need to configure to tell a hybrid when to switch from battery priority to grid priority (or whatever they call the mode when you want to prioritize minimization of grid consumption by using battery energy…).

Link to precise model? I’m general there is a setting you need to configure to tell a hybrid when to switch from battery priority to grid priority (or whatever they call the mode when you want to prioritize minimization of grid consumption by using battery energy…).

Did you read section 5.4 of the manual and especially the settings for Program 01 ‘Output Settings Priority’?

You need to be in SBU priority overnight after the sun has gone down and you want loads to be powered by battery…

Did you read section 5.4 of the manual and especially the settings for Program 01 ‘Output Settings Priority’?

You need to be in SBU priority overnight after the sun has gone down and you want loads to be powered by battery…
Yes i have reset the thing and now put it to sbu. the light has gone to purple (pv mode). so hopefully when the sun drops it will go to red (battery )

Yes i have reset the thing and now put it to sbu. the light has gone to purple (pv mode). so hopefully when the sun drops it will go to red (battery )
my smart meter is showing me pulling from the grid. All this settings stuff is so confusing

If it was not in SBU mode before, that would explain why is was powering from grid overnight.

Do you recall what setting it was in before you switched it to SBU?

my smart meter is showing me pulling from the grid. All this settings stuff is so confusing
It takes some time to digest the settings but I think you’ll be much happier with your inverter if you make that effort.

If I understand your use case correctly, you are interested in the following functionality:

Daytime: use solar to power loads first then use any excess power to charge battery second and only use grid power if there is insufficient solar power to offset loads (preserve battery power for overnight) (SUB).

Nighttime: use battery power to power loads and only use grid power once battery is drained (SBU).

You need to read sections 12 and 13 of the settings table and set the voltage levels to switch between the two modes…

It takes some time to digest the settings but I think you’ll be much happier with your inverter if you make that effort.

If I understand your use case correctly, you are interested in the following functionality:

Daytime: use solar to power loads first then use any excess power to charge battery second and only use grid power if there is insufficient solar power to offset loads (preserve battery power for overnight) (SUB).

Nighttime: use battery power to power loads and only use grid power once battery is drained (SBU).

You need to read sections 12 and 13 of the settings table and set the voltage levels to switch between the two modes…
Yes this exactly what i want to do.
sections 12 13 confuse me big time
They are all set to default at present

sorry sub
SUB tells it to use Solar first then Grid and only use Battery power when solar is insufficient and Grid is unavailable (UPS / offgrid mode), do that perfectly explains the initial behavior you described…

In SBU it will use solar first then use battery if solar is insufficient and only use grid if solar is insufficient and battery is drained (to the discharge voltage set in parameter 12).

Yes this exactly what i want to do.
sections 12 13 confuse me big time
They are all set to default at present
Tell me what the default settings are.

Do you understand much about your battery? Is it LiFePO4 and have you programmed any of the charge voltages or are you relying on defaults for battery charging as well???

Tell me what the default settings are.

Do you understand much about your battery? Is it LiFePO4 and have you programmed any of the charge voltages or are you relying on defaults for battery charging as well???
i have 4 batteries in series 12v 170ah i am relying on defaults yes.

It should deliver the functionality you are interested in now but you really should review all of the default voltage settings for both charging and switching between modes (22 and 13) and start a new post in the Battery Section Serling advice on appropriate voltage settings to use for a 4S string of AGM batteries…

I use LiFePO4 so I cannot help you with that.

It should deliver the functionality you are interested in now but you really should review all of the default voltage settings for both charging and switching between modes (22 and 13) and start a new post in the Battery Section Serling advice on appropriate voltage settings to use for a 4S string of AGM batteries…

I use LiFePO4 so I cannot help you with that.
Thankyou for your help

Before I leave you alone. The inverter has now switched to battery but it doesn’t look like it is pulling anything from the battery bank.
If the sun is still up, there may be sufficient solar power to offset loads…

Best to check again just after sunset.

Back