diy solar

diy solar

10K PV and Solark Install

No doubt, that is a large amount of power. My worst case summer usage has hit 60 KWH in a day, but I hope to keep it under 45 or so now without my Ex wife. She would run heat over night and then crank the A/C during the day. Never once would open window. Late last summer, we did manage to use up to 31 KWH from So Cal Edison in just one day, on top of what my solar produced. I would need to DOUBLE my solar to cover that. MY DC charging array will add a little under 50% to what I have now. But my real savings is going to come from judicious use of the A/C.

My bill shows average daily usage for the past year and the highest it has been is about 41kw per day. I'm sure we have had days higher than 41kw.
It will take me a while to get used to this. Especially since I am away from home.
I can operate the Solark remotely but I will wait until I get home.
I am anxious to play with my lifepo4 batteries too.

Very nice. So Cal Edison has been "Updating our system" for a full month now, so I have not been able to see my usage numbers, but my total bill for Feb to May is still negative about $50 total. My credits actually wipe out my connect fees so far. But on the current billing cycle, we have been hit with some cloudy weather and smoke from 2 more fires. They arrested a guy who lit a series of 5 fires along the wash just 2 miles from my house. It only burned about 1 acre total, and they got it out in just a couple hours. What is going through someone's head to go and intentionally start a fire like that? Luckily some people saw him in the wash tossing something on fire into the brush, so the police and fire departments were on it before he even got out of the wash. Now I have to rinse off my solar panels again, there is a lot of ash on them.

Very nice. So Cal Edison has been "Updating our system" for a full month now, so I have not been able to see my usage numbers, but my total bill for Feb to May is still negative about $50 total. My credits actually wipe out my connect fees so far. But on the current billing cycle, we have been hit with some cloudy weather and smoke from 2 more fires. They arrested a guy who lit a series of 5 fires along the wash just 2 miles from my house. It only burned about 1 acre total, and they got it out in just a couple hours. What is going through someone's head to go and intentionally start a fire like that? Luckily some people saw him in the wash tossing something on fire into the brush, so the police and fire departments were on it before he even got out of the wash. Now I have to rinse off my solar panels again, there is a lot of ash on them.
My buddy lives in Oregon. Antifa asswipe started one in his yard. Nothing happened to the guy. They let him out next day.

On subject, just got my latest bill for a $329.93 on balanced budget. I am on Long Island. As soon as I get my other Inverter from Ian, I will test out my daily load. Still waiting on Mike to get me some cells sometime before the polar ice caps melt.
Anyway, congrats guys on almost zeroing your bills! I am salivating at that, and am anxious to cut the cord finally!

I think it is kWh. My electric cost is zero besides the $12 interconnection
Great thread. I have 90% of my equipment in hand now and will be starting the roof replacement on Tuesday. At the same time they will be putting in the hooks for the rails. I look forward to hearing more about your system as you are about 2-3 months ahead of me.

954 kWh delivered to grid from PV, 440 kWh "used" or rather received from grid.
Presumably some loads powered from PV without going through the meter.

Do you have fixed rates? or time of use?

954 kWh delivered to grid from PV, 440 kWh "used" or rather received from grid.
Presumably some loads powered from PV without going through the meter.
There are loads powered by the PV without going to the grid. I have all of my 120V loads and a 240V dryer powered by the Solark.
Our air conditioner, stove/oven, hot water heater and well pump are all 240V and they are only connected to the grid.
Do you have fixed rates? or time of use?
We are extremely lucky to have fixed rates here. The extra 500kWh is saved for me to use later.
My wife and I plan to get electric cars. I just ordered a Rad Rover too. It arrives Thursday.
I am not sure if we will be able to use all of the energy generated.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
All things you would like to run on PV, when enough power is available during an extended outage.
Water heater could be transferred to a 120V circuit to draw less power. Stove could probably work the same, if its controls are 120V.
The big motors might work with soft starters, also a priority switch or other way to limit total load.

All things you would like to run on PV, when enough power is available during an extended outage.
Water heater could be transferred to a 120V circuit to draw less power. Stove could probably work the same, if its controls are 120V.
The big motors might work with soft starters, also a priority switch or other way to limit total load.
Thanks for the tips. I heard before that people just hook up the hot water heater with 120V.
I am hesitant to push the Solark too hard because I read a lot of complaints about overloading it.

That's where some kind of priority/load switch would be nice.
Turn on some 3kW load if inverter is putting out less than 2kW. Turn it off if inverter exceeds 6kW.
Power air conditioner, but if well pump kicks on, turn off air conditioner until pump is finished.

Is SolArk's problem only up in the 8kW/9kW range? (or 120V load half that much?)

Besides it's max wattage, heatsink and transistor temperature could be another limit (related to wattage.)
Loads could be enabled when it is cool.

My inverter is capable of switching two relays at different SoC.
It also adjusts frequency to curtail PV production, which could be monitored to enable discretionary loads.

What I don't know how to do is enable/disable loads according to whether the battery inverter can feed them. It has various wattage ratings continuous/limited time, and continuous vs. temperature. Would be nice to have a signal telling me it is approaching overload shutdown, so loads could be removed. It knows its own temperature, but not sure if it could control a relay with that, only provides status to anyone making a (digital bus) inquiry. A thermostat stuck on it could do the job.

On subject, just got my latest bill for a $329.93 on balanced budget. I am on Long Island.
15K of panels would probably wipe out most of that. It would at least get rid of the most expensive part.

I own a house in Babylon Village. I rent it out.
And I am working at Sikorsky right now across the Long Island Sound in CT.

I haven't been to my home in FL since my 2 way meter was installed. That has been painful for me.

Last edited:
Cool job! And a company with a great history and legacy. You can always hop on the port Jeff ferry! I used the Orient ferry in Feb to run up to Alt-e in Mass to pick up my Qcells with the wife. Made for a nice overnight trip, and the qcell 330w panels fit perfect in the back of a Subaru Forester. I was able to get my 16 panels in no problem. Probably could have fit 8-10 more.
After building the first half of my battery(16x 272ah Lishen), and hooking up my first LV6548, I am finally ready to mount some panels. I bought all the parts to build my own ground mount, but after watching the shade in the yard, I would have to cut down 2 huge trees which provide privacy from the neighbors. Thats a no-go with the wife, so up on the barn they will go. I found some very cool roof mounts watching Engineer775's Youtube channel. Its called Quickbolt. 3" round patented leakproof mounts that will work perfect with Superstrut. https://www.quickbolt.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz92ihpPh8AIVNvbjBx3MAg9WEAAYASAAEgIW_PD_BwE

Cool job! And a company with a great history and legacy.
I have worked here before. It's owned by Lockheed now. We are making RaiderX prototypes for a competition with Bell.
You can always hop on the port Jeff ferry! I used the Orient ferry in Feb to run up to Alt-e in Mass to pick up my Qcells with the wife.
The ferries are cool. I work close to Bridgeport.
Made for a nice overnight trip, and the qcell 330w panels fit perfect in the back of a Subaru Forester. I was able to get my 16 panels in no problem. Probably could have fit 8-10 more.
After building the first half of my battery(16x 272ah Lishen), and hooking up my first LV6548, I am finally ready to mount some panels. I bought all the parts to build my own ground mount, but after watching the shade in the yard, I would have to cut down 2 huge trees which provide privacy from the neighbors. Thats a no-go with the wife, so up on the barn they will go. I found some very cool roof mounts watching Engineer775's Youtube channel. Its called Quickbolt. 3" round patented leakproof mounts that will work perfect with Superstrut. https://www.quickbolt.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz92ihpPh8AIVNvbjBx3MAg9WEAAYASAAEgIW_PD_BwE
Good luck with your project. Sounds like you have some good examples.

Back