diy solar

diy solar

12 volt in 220 volt ac out

LanduytG

Solar Enthusiast
Starting to get all the parts for my solar install on my 5th wheel RV. I have a 50 amp service in my 5th and to avoid using a sub-panel I would like to use and inverter with 220 volts out. Can't really find anything I'm impressed with. Anyone have any ideas?

Greg

How impressed you are looking to be = $$.

On the low end and if you want an integrated ac charger (usually) and auto transfer switch for generator and shore power pass-through, sigineer is robust. Aims is made by sigineer as far as i can tell. Almost twice the price..... 400 and up. 600ish $ 3000W

People like the mpp solar inverters. Decent features, all in one of using solar, if not dont use solar and its a cost effective inverter charger.

I have to say for lower cost i like the sigineer. Have installed them and aims, not bad.

If you want the good stuff i install for clients who have more budget room than myself.......
Hands down outback inverters. A vfx3024 or 2512 or something would run 1200-1400$ plus a interface/display and battery monitoring if you like.

The samlex evo is good equipment they make a range of inverters.
And RV people like their schneider/zantrex inverters. Freedom, conext, pro-sine etc. Great stuff.

Dont forget magnum. Magnum inverters are as robust as any and nearly bomb-proof.

Outback has had the lowest standby and higher efficiencies than most off grid hear. Programmable to suit most any situation common to RE and power delivery from batteries. I have only had one single inverter need service out of scads of outbacks since 2011.

Fx inverters require 2 stacked or a transformer to output split phase 240vac. Only drawback, but they make a 4000w radian 240v inverter. A little large physically, for an rv..... same for an sma sunny island, need two or a transformer and large...

The most compact ones for your use would be the fx, evo or sigineer/aims, prosine, freedom amd conext are alittle big maybe not sure.

Outback has had the lowest standby and higher efficiencies than most off grid hear. Programmable to suit most any situation common to RE and power delivery from batteries. I have only had one single inverter need service out of scads of outbacks since 2011.
Have you installed any Outback Skyboxes?

Kernel thanks for the suggestions. $$ are not that big of a deal. What want is something that last, I only like doing things once. I don’t live by the saying that “I don’t have the money to do it right but I have the money to do it over. I like xantrex but I didn’t see a 220 ver. Will look again and look at outback too.

Greg

How impressed you are looking to be = $$.

On the low end and if you want an integrated ac charger (usually) and auto transfer switch for generator and shore power pass-through, sigineer is robust. Aims is made by sigineer as far as i can tell. Almost twice the price..... 400 and up. 600ish $ 3000W

People like the mpp solar inverters. Decent features, all in one of using solar, if not dont use solar and its a cost effective inverter charger.

I have to say for lower cost i like the sigineer. Have installed them and aims, not bad.

If you want the good stuff i install for clients who have more budget room than myself.......
Hands down outback inverters. A vfx3024 or 2512 or something would run 1200-1400$ plus a interface/display and battery monitoring if you like.

The samlex evo is good equipment they make a range of inverters.
And RV people like their schneider/zantrex inverters. Freedom, conext, pro-sine etc. Great stuff.

Dont forget magnum. Magnum inverters are as robust as any and nearly bomb-proof.

Fx inverters require 2 stacked or a transformer to output split phase 240vac. Only drawback, but they make a 4000w radian 240v inverter. A little large physically, for an rv..... same for an sma sunny island, need two or a transformer and large...

The most compact ones for your use would be the fx, evo or sigineer/aims, prosine, freedom amd conext are alittle big maybe not sure.
I really like the Sigineer 4kw 12 volt spilt phase unit. One question I have and I can't really determine the answer from the manual. If you are plugged into a 50 amp shore power 240v the power will go direct to the RV main panel. But what if your plugged into a 30 amp where you only have one leg hot or anothers words 120 volt. Will the transfer switch still pass direct to the main panel or want to switch to inverter. I hope I'm making myself clear.

Greg

Well been thinking about this and you would have to use a dog bone or some type of 15 amp or 30 amp adapter. These are already wired to have 120 on each leg just at reduced power. I need to check this out a little further.

Greg

Mobile applications have some challenges in regard to neutral bonding and grounding. UL 458 devices typically have provisions to insure bonding and grounding are maintained during power inversion. This is something that the AIO units typically don't address due to their normal application.

EDIT: Samlex has a PDF document regarding bonding/grounding that could be helpful.
https://www.samlexamerica.com/docum...s/Inverters_Grounding_and_Neutral_Bonding.pdf

Last edited:
To avoid a sub panel on RV 50Amp usually requires a dual input/dual output inverter and or stacked inverters. Much more complicated install. Also, don't really need a 240v output for an RV. Unless 240v devices have been added post manufacturing or you have a need to run 240v device from RV.

Back