diy solar

diy solar

2x Sol-Ark 15K's + HomeGrid Stacks

Am I reading the specs right, do your two SolArk 15K's output 50A (battery), and 62.5A (PV) each for AC output?

It looks like you're running them split phase, so you'd have 50A (or 62.5A for PV) across each phase. Is that enough to run two A/C units like you mentioned and everything else?
The two 15K's can run anything I've ever thrown at it...even without grid assist or sunlight. Should have no problem with up to ~96A@240V / 23 kW (probably even a bit more). My instantaneous A/C load record since commissioning is less than 17 kW; both central A/C units on (4 kW + 2.9 kW), charging a car (6.6 kW), plus ~3 kW of other loads.
Can you expand on the net metering comment? I don't quite get what you're saying but am interested.
My electric Coop originally offered 1:1 net metering within the month; as long as your import didn't exceed the export you only paid the $30 base customer charge. If you used more you paid for the excess import at ~$0.14/kWh and if you exported more they got to keep it and paid you nothing. Once the month was over and the bill was calculated import/export was zeroed and it all started over again (credits didn't carry over).

They rolled out a new plan in March that pays me ~$0.09/kWh for my export but I pay ~$0.14/kWh for all import (there is no interplay between the two except in the $$$ value). If you end up with bill credit they roll over from month-to-month and once a year they settle the account and will send you a check if there's residual credit. The new plan was optional for those of us grandfathered in but it's mandatory for all new system installs. Although the new plan is reasonable as far as non-net metering plans go, it's a losing proposition for 99% of solar households but with an overbuilt system like mine I stand to save about $275/yr. Just don't ask what I paid for the system. 🫣

Last edited:
Paying $0.05/kWh to "store" power in the grid is a great deal.
That's about what competitively priced commercial batteries amortize out to.
So long as they don't also charge you $0.05/kWh for power you use immediately (or store locally).

So long as you're allowed to install excess (something apparently prohibited with California's NEM 3.0), you can come out ahead if you DIY (not if you pay for turnkey, which costs $0.10/kWh). Your rates are too low for PV to be compelling.

Paying $0.05/kWh to "store" power in the grid is a great deal.
Yeah, when they announced the move away from net metering I figured it was going to be horrible, but we ended up with mostly favorable terms/rates. I was pleasantly surprised that's what they came up with. Yes, not near as good as 1:1 net metering for folks with normal/modest systems but I've seen WAY worse plans here on the board.

Over 10 years, yes.
Ok.

Your original quote having generated Mega Watt Hours in 2.2 seconds with 8kw array was a bit confusing.

Why are people excited about mWh production levels?! My 8kW array does that in about 2.2 seconds. The array is currently around 120MWh production.

Have generated 15 Mega Watt hours in 8 months.

That’s why it is significant to us.

Not sure when @2TrevorJ commissioned his system but couldn’t have been too long ago since the 15ks haven’t been on the market long.

To generate 40 Mega Watt Hours is pretty significant.

Last edited:
Your original quote having generated mWH in 2.2 seconds with 8kw array was a bit confusing.

I agree.
If I got the math right, he hits the mWh production level in 450 microseconds.
And the 40 mWh someone boasted about in 18 milliseconds.

(And I'm not sure what you meant by milli-Watt-Henry)

I agree.
If I got the math right, he hits the mWh production level in 450 microseconds.
And the 40 mWh someone boasted about in 18 milliseconds.

(And I'm not sure what you meant by milli-Watt-Henry)
I guess I’m going to have to spell everything out from now on.
Seems everyone has a different opinion on contractions for power usage.

And that's before ω and Ω get changed into w and W

I saw a circuit that specified mW transistors, didn't see how it could handle the power needed.

diy solar

diy solar
Back