diy solar

diy solar

360V DC input split phase 120V/240V AC inverter

And now Hyundai who show a car, available later this year, with a high voltage DC input inverter and convenient AC output.
EV are just so practical with their large battery!
Another potential nice inverter available at scrap yard in a year or two.

Hi all
I would like to connect my large battery pack (60 kWh (360V 167Ah) Chevy Bolt) to power my house in case of blackout, but it seem like inverters to do this are rare.
For me, it a non sense to build another 12V or 48V battery who will not be use 99% of time instead of using this large car battery actually available.

There seem to have tons of 12-24-48V off grid inverter available everywhere or grid tie inverter with 200V-500V DC input, but never off grid 200V-500V DC input inverter.

My plan, in case blackout is to turn off utility house input and connect my car to my house*.
So, is there pure sine off grid inverters with 300-400V DC input available in the 2000w-6000w range?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Yan

*for those who know the subject, there could have dangerous voltage manipulation involve in this and also car warranty legitimacy out of spec. It's not as simple than connect the J1772 to the car. I have a lot of experience with different voltage battery packs and I don't advice anybody to do this without a lot of knowledge/experience.
**sorry for the English, it's not my first language.

Hello Yabert,

I drive a kia niro phev with a 360v battery as well. I started looking at dc to dc converters but those are pricy and wouldn't handle the wattage i desired. So I found the following amazon friendly units that I think I want to try.
Please all give me feedback:
Off Grid Solar Inverter 5000W(10KW Peak) 48V DC to 220V AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger Built-in 80amp MPPT Charger Max 5000W 500V PV Input for 48V Lead Acid/Lithium MPPT Charger Inverter
Size: 48V-220V 5KW inverter

$599.00

PowMr 5500W Solar Hybrid Inverter 48V DC to 230VAC,Single Phase Not Support Parallel Pure Sine Wave Inverter with 80a MPPT Charge Controller, for 48V Lead Acid &Lithium, Support Work Without Battery, Opens in a new tab
PowMr 5500W Solar Hybrid Inverter 48V DC to 230VAC,Single Phase Not Support Parallel Pure Sine Wave Inverter with 80a MPPT Charge Controller, for 48V Lead Acid &Lithium, Support Work Without BatteryPowMr 5500W Solar Hybrid Inverter 48V DC to 230VAC,Single Phase Not Support Parallel Pure Sine Wave Inverter with 80a MPPT Charge Controller, for 48V Lead Acid &Lithium, Support Work Without Battery
Size: 5.5KW/220V/80A MPPT/Not Support Parallel

$689.00

Save $35.00
Clip Coupon

PowMr 5000W Hybrid Inverter 48V DC to 220V/230V AC with 80A MPPT Charge Controller for Lead-Acid and Lithium BatteryPowMr 5000W Hybrid Inverter 48V DC to 220V/230V AC with 80A MPPT Charge Controller for Lead-Acid and Lithium Battery

Color: 48V 5KW Inverter with 80A Controller

$609.60

Thanks all!

SASA

Yes, if I had the electronic knowledge, you are sure that I will create this.
Sadly my knowledge is limited to electric and mechanical integration. Here is my Chevy Bolt: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9146376

Without the perfect inverter, it seem I will need to wait to find those 120/240V inverter with 360Vdc input at the scrap yard in few years inside a Ford E-transit or a Rivian truck or a Tesla truck or a GM truck...
Yes, they will be a normal stuff soon.
So I dig a bit more. What if... I connect the 360V battery to a widely available high voltage input inverter with 230V 50-60Hz output and use this ''auto transformer'' to have 120Vac: Step down transformer
Seem like a solution, right?
this step down inverter which you linked one is only for AC to AC step down.
So it won't work

The current MPP LVX6048 allows up to 430VDC into the PV input but is limited to 22 amps. The new MPP LVX6048WP has two PV input up to 600VDC with 15 amps each but limited to 7.5kW.
They can be used in multiple strings for more power output. It has 120/240 VAC input capability and output.
And it runs without the need for 48VDC battery input using the PV input only.

Last edited:
I took the plunge! This inverter will be at our home in few days. It is supposed to be able to take 360Vdc as input to allow me to connect it to my electric van.
I'm not sure if it will work without 24V battery, but anyway I'm preparing a 7S battery with Ford Energy cells.
The output is 230Vac. I would have preferred to find a split phase 120/240Vac output inverter, but I will try this one with a voltage converter to run 120v stuffs and my well pump at 240v.
Can't wait to test this!

Solar inveter 24V.JPG

Will be really cool if this works. I have a Chevy Bolt and recently installed a 1200W sine wave inverter to run off the DC/DC converter. The 66 kWh pack can handle base loads for days, but your project has much greater potential.

I have a Chevy Bolt and recently installed a 1200W sine wave inverter to run off the DC/DC converter.
Same thing in my VanaBolt. I have a 1000w pure sine wave 12V inverter and this one can supplie 120V for 60 hours or more.
Now I will install a complete system for the house (1,8 kW solar panel, 2,4 kW inverter, 3,6 kWh battery) and the 360V Bolt battery will be there if I need more energy.

I received the compact unit today. I rapidly tested it with a 7S battery and connect to grid. Everything seem fine and there is many adjustments. Those are interesting to me:
-Output source grid, solar, battery or mix of those
-50 or 60 Hz, 220V, 230V or 240Vac output
-Charge current from 2A to 60A
-Voltage set point when grid kick in to replace solar/batt power
-Voltage set point when grid kick off to give place to solar/batt power
-Charge voltage max is 28,5V in my case (4,07V / cell)
-Cut off low DC is 24V in my case (3,43V / cell)

I plan to connect the inverter to my 360Vdc battery soon. I simply hope to don't blow something in my EV by doing this.

20220314_152148.jpg

I received the compact unit today. I rapidly tested it with a 7S battery and connect to grid. Everything seem fine and there is many adjustments. Those are interesting to me:
-Output source grid, solar, battery or mix of those
-50 or 60 Hz, 220V, 230V or 240Vac output
-Charge current from 2A to 60A
-Voltage set point when grid kick in to replace solar/batt power
-Voltage set point when grid kick off to give place to solar/batt power
-Charge voltage max is 28,5V in my case (4,07V / cell)
-Cut off low DC is 24V in my case (3,43V / cell)

I plan to connect the inverter to my 360Vdc battery soon. I simply hope to don't blow something in my EV by doing this.

View attachment 87323

Just figure out a maximum safe current (that you're willing to let it try up to, if it wants), and put a Class T fuse or good DC breaker on the PV input for sure, as a failsafe...

EDIT: Normally a fuse is there to protect the wire only. Your fuse would be there also to protect the charge controller from being able to short the battery, or bring the current up too high close to any danger level of discharge (like to confirm on an MPPT sweep it can't or doesn't put too much load on the circuit)..

Last edited:
... and put a Class T fuse or good DC breaker on the PV input for sure, as a failsafe.
Plan is to connect the PV input of the inverter via AC compressor connector of my Chevrolet Bolt (Vanabolt) because I don't use the AC.
Item 6 on pic.
So there is actually a 30A fuse rated for high voltage DC on the juction box of my van (second pic).

Attachments

• Vanabolt HV-1.JPG
    Vanabolt HV-1.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Vanabolt HV-2.JPG
    Vanabolt HV-2.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 29
?? it's working!
After a small test it seem that my Vanabolt can be use as a ''solar source'' (or any other EV with batt voltage in the range of the MPPT 90-450V).
I connect the 24V batt + turn on the inverter = 240V output available only from 24V batt.
After I connect the PV input to my Bolt + turn on the Bolt = 240V output available form 24V batt and 370V solar (see picture).

Next step is to test this set up with an important load and a 24V battery able to supply 100A, but it seem promising at the moment.

*please be gentle with the look of my Vanabolt. 43 years old with a 2017 motor ;)

Attachments

• 20220315_210231-2.JPG
    20220315_210231-2.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220315_210628.jpg
    20220315_210628.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 37
?? it's working!
After a small test it seem that my Vanabolt can be use as a ''solar source'' (or any other EV with batt voltage in the range of the MPPT 90-450V).
I connect the 24V batt + turn on the inverter = 240V output available only from 24V batt.
After I connect the PV input to my Bolt + turn on the Bolt = 240V output available form 24V batt and 370V solar (see picture).

Next step is to test this set up with an important load and a 24V battery able to supply 100A, but it seem promising at the moment.

*please be gentle with the look of my Vanabolt. 43 years old with a 2017 motor ;)

?? it's working!

That's cool. Yeah I'm a Prius owner, and I saw another guy in the Prius forums use a Midnite Solar Classic 250 charge controller on his Prius hybrid battery (ours run about DC 210v range so it stays under the 250 of the charge controller), and he reported that it worked for him to charge his home bank batteries that way if needed. He used a custom wind curve I guess, since they are available in the Midnite Solar CC's... I guess he figured it works pretty good that way for him...

Well let us know what else you learn as you go. The van's awesome BTW, I love it ✌️

Thanks for the links Batronca.
It's seem like some inverter like Goodwe and Huayu can do the exact same job than my PowMr inverter, but they add the enormous advantage of convection cooling (no fan and IP65).
Still only option for 230Vac output and no split phase option.

Yes .it slip phase 110/220 volt output ( load ) look at Meragavo....similar like Sol Ark..Deye.....but high DC voltage Battery

Just receive and test my 3kW voltage converter to use with the inverter.
So the inverter output 240V to the converter and I tried a 1500W 120V heat gun.
The converter make a strange noise. Without or with load, the noise is the same.
Without load the converter pull around 50W from the inverter for no reason.
Of course I tried the converter on a regular 240V home outlet and there is no strange noise.
Strange. Can you see any reason for this?

I tested my inverter today with the 24V and the 360V battery.

Once I connect the 360V battery (my EV) to the PV input there is around 6A flowing to charge the 24V battery (around 2200w).

If I load the inverter AC output (1500w heat gun via my voltage converter) the 6A at the 360V battery stay roughly the same and the 24V battery charge slower.
But when the 24V battery is full charge, that is different. Most of the load is provide by the 360V battery (PV input) and the 24V battery don't provide any significant power to the AC load.

Conclusion: As long as the sun is shining and the PV supply enough juice, the 24V battery will not provide any power and stay fully charge.

I like that!
I feared that the AC load always need to be supply by the 24V battery and the PV only charge the battery, but it's not the case. PV can directly supply AC output (y)

Back