diy solar

diy solar

4/0 cables & 250ANL fuse heating

solarstuff

On my 2200w inverter both the 4/0 cables & 250ANL fuse heat up when the air fryer (rated 1500w) does it's thing.

How hot is too hot? Last summer I ran my 1500w toaster over 35-45 mins at a time roasting tomaotes so for 15 mins in the air fryer to see that heat...

I checked the tightness of cables but the fuse is new...do they take a while to settle?

On my 2200w inverter both the 4/0 cables & 250ANL fuse heat up when the air fryer (rated 1500w) does it's thing.

How hot is too hot? Last summer I ran my 1500w toaster over 35-45 mins at a time roasting tomaotes so for 15 mins in the air fryer to see that heat...

I checked the tightness of cables but the fuse is new...do they take a while to settle?

How many V is your system? 2200W on 12V is 183A ... a lot.
But in a 24V system only 91A and in a 48V system only 46A.

No they don't take a while to settle. Are you certain its copper cable? can you post a link? Did you crimp your own lugs or did the cables come with lugs?

One wire is cistom leading out of the fuse. The other wire I crimped. Both seem equally hot, emanating from the fuse.

Am Insimly pushing too many amps? Or should I investigate cabling further?

Attachments

• 16294106225668593445067191878822.jpg
    16294106225668593445067191878822.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 46
One wire is cistom leading out of the fuse. The other wire I crimped. Both seem equally hot, emanating from the fuse.

Am Insimly pushing too many amps? Or should I investigate cabling further?
that doesnt look like 4/0. perhaps its 4 awg.

edit: on closer look im wrong. Texas mark observation looks spot on though.

Yeah ....if you are going to have a washer, I would have it between the nut and the fuse with a direct connection to the lug.
The 4/0 cable should handle 300 amps ..... so, your connection points are probably the problem.

Yeah ....if you are going to have a washer, I would have it between the nut and the fuse with a direct connection to the lug.
The 4/0 cable should handle 300 amps ..... so, your connection points are probably the problem.
I'd put the lug on top of the fuse, as well. much cleaner contact on the bottom of the lug. Top is rounded and imprinted.

edit: something else in the back of my mind, that's an ANL fuse. Is this a LiFePO4 implementation?

I do think like was mentioned the stainless steel washer is heating up at those high amps. Stainless steel is many times more resistant than copper, something like 30 X. https://www.tibtech.com/conductivite. I recently found out how little current flows through a stainless steel stud if the copper lug and busbar are seated together good.

Also with the power you mention, with inverter inefficiencies, you are drawing at least 15% more power from the batteries than the inverter outputs. For example, I use an 1800 watt appliance according to my AV inverter out display, but the batteries are pulling between 2000 and 2100 watts to power that device. This is just like my spec sheet says for the inverter being 85% efficient.

Last edited:
Fuses heat up you know, that’s how the blow, my guess is it’s only the fuse heating up (or connections of the fuse) and the heat is disappeared into the cable. Fuses have something called minimum melt point where they will hold but there is a little damage to it.

You can measure the Voltage drops on the fuse and the current flowing through the fuse then you can calculate the power dissipation of the fuse.

I
I'd put the lug on top of the fuse, as well. much cleaner contact on the bottom of the lug. Top is rounded and imprinted.

edit: something else in the back of my mind, that's an ANL fuse. Is this a LiFePO4 implementation?
Have an anl fuse in this AGM system as well as in my lifep04 system ...incompatibility?

Back