diy solar

diy solar

400A 160VDC T-Class Fuse Holder Melted

See another example of a melted fuse holder. I think it was the microwave. I have since upgraded to a better setup with copper lugs.

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4690.jpeg
    IMG_4690.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 46
I'm betting the washer stack caused high resistance and a ton of heat! Washers are known to not be very flat as well. Poor contact, along with the poor conductivity of the material (zinc plated steel) caused a lot of heat.

I'm betting the washer stack caused high resistance and a ton of heat! Washers are known to not be very flat as well. Poor contact, along with the poor conductivity of the material (zinc plated steel) caused a lot of heat.
I must be missing somthing ….why is anyone ever putting a bunch of SS washers or a SS nut in between the copper lug and the copper mounting surface on the fuse or bussbar or whatever…I have seen this on pics here many times…Why..?

I must be missing somthing ….why is anyone ever putting a bunch of SS washers or a SS nut in between the copper lug and the copper mounting surface on the fuse or bussbar or whatever…I have seen this on pics here many times…Why..?
They do it to make space. You can see in the pic above, the lug would not fit properly without the washer, however I would rather see the proper fuse, or atleast a little filing to the lug to make it sit flat without a washer.

They do it to make space. You can see in the pic above, the lug would not fit properly without the washer, however I would rather see the proper fuse, or atleast a little filing to the lug to make it sit flat without a washer.
Yes I see it .. no no no ..In a boat yard that’s called the boat owners lubberly work…?..you can flip lugs over , you can file and bend them, you can chock up the fuse block to get a fair lead…you an make a different run to create space to fit correct…Aww hell no , not cool.
I have been wondering why I see this on the forum a lot… ..thanks…J.

In this case, I think it's the wrong type of fuse altogether. I didn't have any problem seating a 2/0 lug on the Class T fuse holder.

In this case, I think it's the wrong type of fuse altogether. I didn't have any problem seating a 2/0 lug on the Class T fuse holder.
I have 8 blue seas Class T fuses and holders from 110 to 300 amp ……never had a problem of any kind ..other than buying that stuff….. but then I did plan the run carefully ….did a dry run before it was assembled together to see that it fit right…and made sure the cable lugs would easily fall right onto the post as it should……..then I crimped and fastened them down .

I have 8 blue seas Class T fuses and holders from 110 to 300 amp ……never had a problem of any kind ..other than buying that stuff….. but then I did plan the run carefully ….did a dry run before it was assembled together to see that it fit right…and made sure the cable lugs would easily fall right onto the post as it should……..then I crimped and fastened them down .
folks that work on Brake out another thousand's (B.O.A.T.'s) learn how to measure shit correctly the first time... they often learn how to research stuff really well as a result of B.O.A.T.'s as well.

Back