diy solar

diy solar

64 eve lLF280k version3 cells in 8P8S configuation 24-volt build December 28th, 2023

I dunno how much if any gain of any sort is achieved below 0.010. Not likely any gain of any significance but won't cause any harm either.

Sorry, 8P Yes, boy looking at those pics (dunno bout that Chicken Salad LOL) there's a LOT of OOMPH there.
64x 280AH @ 5X "short" Dump: 89,600A dump potential. Talk about a REALLY BRIGHT Flash ! There is a big OUCH lurking there, hehe.
the wife likes that chicken salad(convenience food)...I like to reuse the little plastic containers.... they have some stainless steel parts in them and stack nicely...

I am thinking of enclosing it a bit more.... I have some clear plexiglass and was thinking about getting a couple of pieces that can be hinged or removed to prevent anyone from causing a short...
more to be done that is for sure....🤔

yes, 1mV cell differential is a lot to ask.... I may change that back to 5mV and adjust the Soc to 2240Ah on the NEEY...
the wires they provide with the NEEY 15 Amp balancer have the alligator clamps already installed and they are all pre-numbered so that was convenient.
very soft pliable silicone wires... I like that

Last edited:
What voltage are you starting to balance?
26.60 volts (measured via multimeter) in an 8S battery is at the 90 percent SOC...
when I started balancing by the NEEY 15 amp balancer
I turned on the Riden 6024 a couple of times but let the NEEY balance it.
I added about 120Ah via the Riden 6024,after I assembled the 8P8S packafter initial pre-charging during parallel asembly.
when I first started the cells were shipped in about 3.29 volts per cell, and I charged them all to about 3.33 volts per cell with the 3 Riden chargers.

in all reality,,, I think if one had the NEEY 15 Amp smart active balancer going and the pack assembled and the ridens charging at maximum.... >>>> you would not need to do a top balancing at all...
you could just keep upping the ante on the NEEY as you charged the battery all assembled with the Riden 6024....IMO

currently at...>>>
maybe better now as that pic is a couple of hours old20240407_081239.jpg

64 cells 280Ah version 3 cells:

it is at 26.691 volts with a 5 mV cell differential mas o menos...currently

I have to use my other Android cellular and take a picture of that Android cellular, then email it to my email, download it, then post it on to this forum...

the solar power shed is outside not where this landlock computer is...
I can not type worth a flip on a tiny cellular screen so I prefer to use the old dinosaur desktop for typing things.

You plan to push the cells to 3.45v for a sort of top balance to see how that neely handles it?

26.60 volts (measured via multimeter) in an 8S battery is at the 90 percent SOC...
when I started balancing by the NEEY 15 amp balancer
I turned on the Riden 6024 a couple of times but let the NEEY balance it.
I added about 120Ah via the Riden 6024,after I assembled the 8P8S packafter initial pre-charging during parallel asembly.
when I first started the cells were shipped in about 3.29 volts per cell, and I charged them all to about 3.33 volts per cell with the 3 Riden chargers.

in all reality,,, I think if one had the NEEY 15 Amp smart active balancer going and the pack assembled and the ridens charging at maximum.... >>>> you would not need to do a top balancing at all...
you could just keep upping the ante on the NEEY as you charged the battery all assembled with the Riden 6024....IMO

currently at...>>>
maybe better now as that pic is a couple of hours oldView attachment 207722
From what I understand over the years you are still in the flat part of the charge curve and won't be doing any real balancing; 3.4+V (27.2+V in 8s) is where you should start balancing.

You plan to push the cells to 3.45v for a sort of top balance to see how that neely handles it?
Right now I set the Riden 6024 to 26.80 volts and I also adjusted the NEEY 15 amp balancer to 2240Ah Soc....
the NEEY was showing 2mV difference at about 12:30 today (noon).
The voltage an the NEEY and the Voltage on the Riden pretty much follow each other in step....
I do not know if I will go up to 3.45 volts per cell but the NEEY has not blinked at this 64-cell build...
26.8 divided by 8 = 3.35 volts per cell and is at the 99 percent SOC....

I am more inclined to turn the attached 24-volt inverter on and use some of the stored energy....
I am trying to make more appropiate inverter cable now, but it is windy and raining so that is hindering me some also...

1712515922985.png

From what I understand over the years you are still in the flat part of the charge curve and won't be doing any real balancing; 3.4+V (27.2+V in 8s) is where you should start balancing.
they say there are very few Ah from 3.4 to 3.65 but I could push it up higher with the Riden 6024 while balancing with the NEEY 15Amp smart active balancer....

I can always use the power via the attached 24-volt inverter...
right now it is raining and quite windy...

I will turn the Riden up to 27.20 volts in a little bit....
essentially>>>> the Riden 6024 is doing the top balancing with the help of the NEEY active balancer and thus not getting too far out of whack...!!!

1712516312367.png

Last edited:
the Riden 6024 will decrease the amps and the watts will decrease as it gets closer to the battery charging preset value,,,,

I was looking for the correct size cable lugs, (to make new inverter cables) but the rain told me it was coffee break time...(((definitely not a duck but they are out there in my pond happy as can be)))

I turned the Riden 6024 up to 27.2 volts for battery charging.... at about 230pm on April 7th, 2024...
the NEEY voltage is going up fast also.... and balancing but I do note the cell difference changes a bit more....
cell 8 has always been the cell set with the lowest voltage (((( I likely did not charge them enough as they were some of the last to get a pre-charge before assembly into the 64-cell 8P8S battery ??? ))))

20240407_142614.jpg20240407_142623.jpg20240407_142644.jpg20240407_142803.jpg

I found cable but not the right lugs so have to order some more cable lugs and will just use the 24-volt inverter as it is hooked up for the moment...

I agreed there’s no sense keeping the cells at 3.4-3.45 all the time but i feel it’s a good to bring them up once a month or so and let the balancer even things out.

yesterday >>>
April 8th, 2024 rain and cold outside,
found some tinned copper cable lugs but still need one other size so I am waiting for the Amazon order to come tomorrow the 10th of April...
hooking up the 250 Amp NH fuse and mounting them in preparation for other larger inverters,
the NEEY smart active balancer had a 2mV to 3mV cell difference yesterday, so I turned it off...
in the off state, the NEEY smart active balancer still draws a little current but the current is coming from an inverter on another LiFePO4 system within the insulated solar power shed.

did some more organizing in between other chores and rain showers....
"April showers bring May flowers"
🤔😊😎
hoping for sun today and no wind....
maybe have to set up a little wind turbine to harness the wind....
always wanted to try to harness the water from the artesian well but it keeps the pond water level and wildlife content... and is a continual source of fresh water for the livestock....it never freezes...
more later,,,, April 9th 2024

Currently using the new 64-cell battery and I charged it to 27.2 volts and the NEEY balanced it....
it settled down and 3mv cell difference so using some of the electricity with a 4-foot LED light on the 3200-watt inverter until the lugs arrive...

I will charge more later but it is essentially full for the moment and need to use some of the 57000 plus watts... stored in the 64 280 amp EVE version 3 cells...
280 x 3.2 x 64 = 57344 watts...
I will not run it down to 20 percent and I will not run it up to 3.65 volts per cell ( that just stresses the cells for essentially no added capacity...)
but it may be good to set up the NEEY for periodic use to bring the cells up to 3.40 volts per cell...

Honey do things again today and I am still waiting on Amazon to deliver the lugs....normally they arrive when they say but one day late.... still fast regardless...
more baby lambs arriving....and the grass is beginning to grow a little after the rains and it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday... a beautiful day yesterday...
have a great day all...
more later...🤔😎😎😎

then I will hook up the 6000-watt inverter or the 15k inverter when I get a few more connections completed and the cables routed better for the larger inverters...etc

64 cells 280Ah version 3 cells: 8P8S configuration 24-volts

April 14th, 2024 update:
The 3rd LED light on the NEEY 15amp active balancer was yellow and was flashing until it was finished balancing and stopped with a 3 mV cell differential..
I turned the NEEY 15 amp balancer off in the app on my Android cellular but it does still have a small draw from the battery 24/7... (LED indicator lites)
I may disconnect it (The NEEY 15Amp smart active balancer) or put a switch in the wire....>>>>>actually it is plugged in via a standard 120-volt plug to a power strip so I could just turn the power strip switch off...so it already is plugged into a switch....!!!!
I ordered an extra wiring harness and breakout board for the NEEY 15Amp smart active balancer....so I can move it around from battery to battery in the future...

Presently, running a 106-watt load on the 3200-watt HF inverter 24 /7.

I also plugged in a 500-watt 80-volt battery charger for the electric lawn mower and charged up the 80-volt battery for it and an 80-volt battery for the electric chainsaw...
Those 80-volt battery chargers for the chain saw and lawn mower always throw a spark when connecting so one advantage of the 3200-watt inverter is it has a built-in soft start with a 15-foot remote cable that if all is plugged in before then turn on the inverter there is no spark....
These 80-volt cordless tool chargers shut off when the cordless tool battery is fully charged but likely a small ghost load as the green LED indicator lite is still on....

The tinned copper lugs arrived but I did not have time yet to make more cables for the other inverters....
I tried a 120-volt induction cooktop with an 1800-watt draw on high power using a cast iron pan and made some sausages >>> wow was it fast!!
The average use is unknown for the future...

The 8P8S 24-volt 64-cell battery using 64 of the Eve 280 Ah version 3 cells has more connections I still need to assemble but is functioning as designed...
I am working to cycle it some during the day but leave the inverter connected 24/7 with a 106-watt load powering lights 24/7...

have a great Sunday all...
It was a sunny 87 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday....It may be hotter in the next couple days...🤔😎
I think it is 48 degrees Fahrenheit this morning though...🤔

Evidently, the Electrodacus SBMS0 can charge up to a maximum of 750 amps if you have enough solar panels connected via the Electrodacus DSSR50's
There is some limitation that only allows 750 amps.... ( a chip in the SBMS0)
of course that is a lot of Amps
but on a 2240 Ah battery that would be a 0.3348 C-rate

as each DSSR50 has a 50 amp suggested use that would be 15 of the DSSR50's controlling approximately 60 solar PV panels.. the DSSR50 is designed for up to 60 amps so there were some design decisions to make them last longer...so up to 50 amps is recommended per DSSR50...
Each DSSR50 would have a 6 AWG wire although 8 AWG would be sufficient in my case... but I bought 6 AWG wire and ferrules anyway for not much more...

the 0.25-inch by 4-inch by 24-inch tinned copper busbar can easily accommodate the 15 Electrodacus DSSR50's... IMO

I also bought 15 of 63 Amp breakers for these.... the breaker is to protect the wire.... 6 AWG copper cables.... for the Electrodacus DSSR50 connections....

April 16th, 2024 >>>>>lightening and thunder and lots of rain,,,, no place out there for me!!!
It is time to go outside between the heavy showers...(((try to avoid the rain,, but lightening even more so)))🤔🤔

more later,

3.84kWh energy "power queen" on sale for $712 plus tax with 200 amp BMS can be up to 4p4s so up to 16 can be combined...
$712 x 16 = $11392... (at least)
3.84kwh x16 = 61.44kwh

eg4 on sale 5.12kWh for $1149
Parallel up to 16 Batteries Get the most power possible! Up to 81.9 kWh while maintaining BMS communications.
example 12 will cost $1149 x 12 = $13788.... (at least) no rack etc...
5.12kWh x 12 = 61.44kWh

vs 64 of 280Ah eve version 3 cells with a delivered price of 6600 dollars via Alibaba warehouse in the USA, one SBMS0 for the BMS, and a bunch of time and cables for likely another 600 dollars or so....(likely a few more expenses to be added into the final cost)
3.2V x 280Ah x 64 version 3 EVE cells = 57.344kWh
the difference I see is you are not limited to an expensive inverter choice or an expensive incompatible mppt solar charge controllers, and some will limit the discharge on the pre-built units so can also be a stumbling block some folks do not factor into their builds...
just thinking on the keyboard????

the NEEY 15 amp smart active balancer is an addition for about 320 dollars or so (mas o menos)...
apple and oranges >>> oh no

time to go .....
ymmv😎😎😎

I'm just curious if you ever drain that beast down to say 15 or 20% and then go to charge it, how long & how much will that take to get to 3.45V per cell.

Back