diy solar

diy solar

$72 ANT BMS: Current Report by BMS is only half of the actual current

screwed up cell 8 2 wires pin 17+18 I only connected 1 wire. that why my temperature was so off the supplier said must be the wiring,
best drill out the rivets re do.. live and learn
since China is still on Holidays, might be able to cancel

Make sure the temp sensor wire harness is not the same RBY RBY. It must be RBY YBR.

Make sure the temp sensor wire harness is not the same RBY RBY. It must be RBY YBR.
once I had them all riveted then neatly strapped into place tucked away. only to get the wiring could be wrong. oh well. was not the wiring

Ladies and Gentlemen.
The newly discovered most worst Chinese/English translation!!!

Max Balance Limit Voltage!!!!
No, that is not the top end of the voltage to start balancing, that is what the Voltage of the cell must be to start balancing!!!!

Holy freeholi!!

I had it set to 3.6V. I just changed it to 3.2, and just like that, every friggin cell started twinkling, aka balancing!

Now I have an active balancer!

What does Start Balancing Voltage mean to you? I have mine set at 2.95V.

Ladies and Gentlemen.
The newly discovered most worst Chinese/English translation!!!

Max Balance Limit Voltage!!!!
No, that is not the top end of the voltage to start balancing, that is what the Voltage of the cell must be to start balancing!!!!

Holy freeholi!!

I had it set to 3.6V. I just changed it to 3.2, and just like that, every friggin cell started twinkling, aka balancing!

Now I have an active balancer!

What does Start Balancing Voltage mean to you? I have mine set at 2.95V.
good to know, still waiting for my replacements to be shipped from china.

A bit off topic, but just ordered the 400a version from link below. Charge current is listed as 50a max, but noticed in one of the screenshots that Jason included that it was set to much higher in settings. Seller is not responding, but assume it's more than 50 then?

24%OFF | Smart 7S ~ 20S ANT Lifepo4 li-ion Lipo LTO Battery Protection Board BMS 400A 300A 100A 80A Bluetooth APP 10S 13S 14S 16S Balance

A bit off topic, but just ordered the 400a version from link below. Charge current is listed as 50a max, but noticed in one of the screenshots that Jason included that it was set to much higher in settings. Seller is not responding, but assume it's more than 50 then?

24%OFF | Smart 7S ~ 20S ANT Lifepo4 li-ion Lipo LTO Battery Protection Board BMS 400A 300A 100A 80A Bluetooth APP 10S 13S 14S 16S Balance
I would not trust anything at all what they say they are rated at.

I have the 320amp version, and it only has 4 10AWG wires on it. (That's 60 amps limit by the size of the wire alone)

I did a "max" load on my entire house once and pulled 93 amps(DC), so in my setup that was only 15ish amps per bms. So it's kind of a moot issue. I can only make about 10 amps from my solar, and limit my charger to 20 amps. (all divided by approximately 4 when it gets to each BMS).

After last Friday's deep drain test, it's taken 5 days to get back into balance. (And figuring out how to set the BMS setting properly made a big difference) 48 hours of continuous balancing, and 4 regular house cycles, with solar charging now!

Normally the packs are all right about 51.2V at the end of the day, now with some free Sun (just 4 295w panels) they are ending the cycle fuller around 52.2.

Battery 1 - 0.009V (this is the widest V spread)
Battery 2 - 0.002V
Battery 3 - 0.002V
Battery 4 - 0.003V
Battery 5 - 0.004V
Battery 6 - 0.004V
Battery 7 - 0.005V
Battery 8 - 0.006V

Yesterday at this time the V spread was 0.040 to 0.051. That seems pretty ok. I thought I was overusing the BMS Balance Mosfett, so I changed the max amp from 0.200 amp to 0.100 amp. And 24 hours later the Balance Mosfett is still showing the same temp. I guess it doesn't matter.

I would not trust anything at all what they say they are rated at.

I have the 320amp version, and it only has 4 10AWG wires on it. (That's 60 amps limit by the size of the wire alone)

I did a "max" load on my entire house once and pulled 93 amps(DC), so in my setup that was only 15ish amps per bms. So it's kind of a moot issue. I can only make about 10 amps from my solar, and limit my charger to 20 amps. (all divided by approximately 4 when it gets to each BMS).
If you have a ant.bms says 320a I would say it is around 160a. Pretty sure it the peak reading they put. For the price. I would not at all think it's 320a peaks over 600a
Just how it is sold.

After last Friday's deep drain test, it's taken 5 days to get back into balance. (And figuring out how to set the BMS setting properly made a big difference) 48 hours of continuous balancing, and 4 regular house cycles, with solar charging now!

Normally the packs are all right about 51.2V at the end of the day, now with some free Sun (just 4 295w panels) they are ending the cycle fuller around 52.2.

Battery 1 - 0.009V (this is the widest V spread)
Battery 2 - 0.002V
Battery 3 - 0.002V
Battery 4 - 0.003V
Battery 5 - 0.004V
Battery 6 - 0.004V
Battery 7 - 0.005V
Battery 8 - 0.006V

Yesterday at this time the V spread was 0.040 to 0.051. That seems pretty ok. I thought I was overusing the BMS Balance Mosfett, so I changed the max amp from 0.200 amp to 0.100 amp. And 24 hours later the Balance Mosfett is still showing the same temp. I guess it doesn't matter.
When you get what you figure is the best tweaked setting, would you be so kind to share with us? Be very grateful.??

Is there a manual that explains the settings on the ANT BMS? I just put together a 48v system with 2ea 24v Lifepo4 bateries from Battery Hookup and the Smart 7S ~ 20S ANT 320amp BMS. The bluetooth app has settings that are not straightforward to set. I started charging the batteries but have one cell that is .4v higher than the rest. I was able to get the BMS to start auto balancing per Jasonhc73's comments but more information is needed in general. I did a search on the forum but didn't run across anything.
Anyone have some good parameters to set to?

Is there a manual that explains the settings on the ANT BMS? I just put together a 48v system with 2ea 24v Lifepo4 bateries from Battery Hookup and the Smart 7S ~ 20S ANT 320amp BMS. The bluetooth app has settings that are not straightforward to set. I started charging the batteries but have one cell that is .4v higher than the rest. I was able to get the BMS to start auto balancing per Jasonhc73's comments but more information is needed in general. I did a search on the forum but didn't run across anything.
Anyone have some good parameters to set to?
This message thread is it. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jasonhc73. I received nothing from the supplier when I bought my BMS even after some emails asking for the app and information.
The forum has certainly helped fill in the gaps.
I did find this video in chinese I think:
Not helpful in IMHO
Here is a link to a zip file that does have a lot of info:
The xls file "BMS parameter instruction RV4.6.xlsx" seems to have some useable information on the settings.
I was able to download a zip file from that link.
Hope this helps the project.

Thanks Jasonhc73. I received nothing from the supplier when I bought my BMS even after some emails asking for the app and information.
The forum has certainly helped fill in the gaps.
I did find this video in chinese I think:
Not helpful in IMHO
Here is a link to a zip file that does have a lot of info:
The xls file "BMS parameter instruction RV4.6.xlsx" seems to have some useable information on the settings.
I was able to download a zip file from that link.
Hope this helps the project.
I think it's up to 4.9 now. And yea, that video is no help. :/

An observation on my 16S setup.

All 8 of the packs are in pairs.
All 4 pairs are in 16S for the BMS.
All 4 pairs on the BMS show the 2nd half (cells 9-16) as higher voltage.

It could be just luck when I put them together. It's interesting to observe and notice just how different the cells are from each pack.

another forum on ant.bms:

Manufacture:

Last edited:
So this is my observation and how to understand how the balancing works with the ANT-BMS.

It is more like whack a mole, not push the top(discharge) and pull the bottom up(overcharge).

The setting sees the high cell and then puts a resistor on that cell, which is supposed to "balance" everything out. The BMS balance function is merely hitting the top of the high cell on the head and saying "stop it you!"?

NEW cells have no abuse yet, and therefore will have practically the same internal resistance. These ridiculously used BYD's have extremely different internal resistances and thus discharge and charge at wildly different rates when you near the limits of normal use. I think keeping the Cell unit voltage Gap protection fairly wide. I believe new cells can be managed with a much tighter setting to get some decent usable kWh. I have an electric motorcycle and it does cell balancing only when the cells get to 0.035V apart. If I set that on these BYD's I'd have about 4 kWh of usable battery(40 kWh+ physical).

2020-02-22 (16).png

A little more understanding of the Balancing setting.

Start Balancing Voltage is just that. It only works when not charging, and the next setting match, CellDiff Value.
They both have to be true for the balancing to Start, and in a state of not being charged.

2020-02-24 (8).png 2020-02-24 (9).png

A little more understanding of the Balancing setting.

Start Balancing Voltage is just that. It only works when not charging, and the next setting match, CellDiff Value.
They both have to be true for the balancing to Start, and in a state of not being charged.

View attachment 8037 View attachment 8036
can you imagine having a bms that one can not control or know wtf it is doing, at least you can tweak the ant.bms to me it is a bit confusing

Back