diy solar

diy solar

A chance to test my system before I actually start using it

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
I belong to a local amateur radio club

We're getting ready to have field day in the near future... If you're not familiar with field day it's when a bunch of radio nears get together and essentially practice an emergency grid-down situation and getting calm set up

Anyway you get more points if you can operate by producing your own power

So I got to thinking... I have a brand new MPP solar lvx6048, as well as 16, 280 amp hour Eve cells and a 200 amp 16S smart BMS from JBD, as well as a whole bunch of solar panels

I could actually get this up and running in advance and be able to give the system a nice little test run

Do you guys think this is worth doing?

I belong to a local amateur radio club

We're getting ready to have field day in the near future... If you're not familiar with field day it's when a bunch of radio nears get together and essentially practice an emergency grid-down situation and getting calm set up

Anyway you get more points if you can operate by producing your own power

So I got to thinking... I have a brand new MPP solar lvx6048, as well as 16, 280 amp hour Eve cells and a 200 amp 16S smart BMS from JBD, as well as a whole bunch of solar panels

I could actually get this up and running in advance and be able to give the system a nice little test run

Do you guys think this is worth doing?
Sounds like fun! I don’t remember the rules around precharged batteries but that’s easy to figure out.
73, Willie N1JBJ

Practice your wiring organization skills. That seems like a bunch of power to ad-hoc wire up. Read up a bunch to make sure you fully understand everything before connecting anything.

Practice your wiring organization skills. That seems like a bunch of power to ad-hoc wire up. Read up a bunch to make sure you fully understand everything before connecting anything.
I felt a few systems so I'm not worried about that

Are all cells balanced and ready?
Not yet... But that's not a very long process... The way I usually balance is to build them as 4S batteries

Then I bring them up to around 90 or 95% charged, carefully monitoring the individual cell voltages as I bring them up

Once they're all done I reconfigure them as 16p and then do my final balance to 3.65 volts using my lab power supply until the current drops to zero

If I'm feeling froggy I might repeat the last part after letting the batteries rest for a couple hours

Back