diy solar

diy solar

Bad days for Solar Production.

84kW is impressive! How many panels do you have? Sounds like more than @timselectric :eek:
Less panels, but better location.
I'm surrounded by trees. With a hill to my south. Which makes winter truly suck. The winter sun is only high enough to see my panels for two hours. And since they are facing east/west .they can't collect much from a low south sun angle.

Less panels, but better location.
I'm surrounded by trees. With a hill to my south. Which makes winter truly suck. The winter sun is only high enough to see my panels for two hours. And since they are facing east/west .they can't collect much from a low south sun angle.
Ground mounts or vertical on south facing wall? You could fill the whole wall(s) with panels the same way you did your roof already. A true solar house. :cool:

Got 15kWh today. Mother Nature is teaching me to be humble. But we'll see who is who after I get my "tiny blue" genny working...:devilish:

Ground mounts or vertical on south facing wall? You could fill the whole wall(s) with panels the same way you did your roof already. A true solar house. :cool:
Ground mounts are going to happen. But first I have to remove many trees.
Only the very back of the property is far enough away from the hill. To see the winter sun.
I'll get there, eventually.
For now, I just have to suffer through these 8 weeks.

84kW is impressive! How many panels do you have? Sounds like more than @timselectric :eek:
30kw array.

I upgraded from 19 kW to to 30 kw.
Last December we ran a big deficit so thought it was the right thing to do.

I’m still running a deficit.
First few days of December were dark.

If I can get 60 kw per day I can make it through.

It varies from 80+ to 5 kw.

Kinda like a farmer and reliant on the weather at this point.

Last edited:
Ah!... kWh :)
Sorry was a bit slow here - should have realised that no one has more panels than @timselectric ?
and not wanting to tread on @MisterSandals toes, you obviously meant...
30kw array.

I upgraded from 19 kWh kW to to 30 kw.
Last December we ran a big deficit so thought it was the right thing to do.

I’m still running a deficit.
First few days of December were dark.

If I can get 60 kw kWh per day I can make it through.

It varies from 80+ to 5 kw kWh.

Kinda like a farmer and reliant on the weather at this point.

60 x 480watt panels.
60 x 480W = 28,800W = 28.8kW
If I can get 60 kw per day I can make it through.
I am pretty sure you mean kWh, where k = kilo, W = Watt (a persons name so capitalized), h = hour

60kWh daily production / 28.8kW array = 2.01 hours of solar

In other words, your 28.8kW array with 2.01 hours of sun produced 60kWh of power.

When you use the correct units, everybody can understand what you mean and the math makes sense.

Not trying to be the grammar police but hoping to help with understanding the terms.

Grammar.png

60 x 480W = 28,800W = 28.8kW

I am pretty sure you mean kWh, where k = kilo, W = Watt (a persons name so capitalized), h = hour

60kWh daily production / 28.8kW array = 2.01 hours of solar

In other words, your 28.8kW array with 2.01 hours of sun produced 60kWh of power.

When you use the correct units, everybody can understand what you mean and the math makes sense.

Not trying to be the grammar police but hoping to help with understanding the terms.

View attachment 182006
Well today I got a shitty 20.6 kWh.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231210-165914.jpg
sunshine-good.gif

diy solar

diy solar
Back