diy solar

diy solar

Bad storm came thru and powers out for 1/2 the county

Isn't much flaunting when my block is lit up and the rest of the areas are dark :)

Plus if 1/2 of the people I talked with do what they claim (which just might happen from the follow up calls I got today) the surrounding blocks should all have solar to some extent.
You need to change your title from "Solar Wizard" to "Solar Power Consultant"..

My goal was to lower my electric bill but turns out I'm off grid 80% of the year now with a dependable system and 45 kw of storage, which I find to be the key to any solar set up is the storage. We here in Ohio have had several tornado's here very close to me. Many friends of mine been off power for 4 days now, running there generators to keep there food cold. I have to hear from some one or see the news before I realize the power is out in the area any more. I realize there is a big cost for solar for any system if you want to have power for 3 or 4 days with out sun but ones you have a nice dependable set up, it's a good feeling knowing your independence to the grid.

No one is stealing the 300 pound power pro batteries that are bolted to a concrete wall :) I’m considering adding an outdoor outlet so my neighbors can charge their golf carts when I have a surplus. 😇

My IMO PV disconnect is in my solar closet, I've thought of switching it off when storms are lurking. But, I wonder if there was a local lightning strike, could a pulse still come up thru the ground wire from the array and wreak havoc?
Pulse could come in via the ground wire. And even with a switch/CB off, a lightning spike could jump the gap in the device; that is less likely if you have various over voltage protection devices but in theory possible.

Pulse could come in via the ground wire. And even with a switch/CB off, a lightning spike could jump the gap in the device; that is less likely if you have various over voltage protection devices but in theory possible.
Yeah at that much voltage, a little 5mm (or whatever gap there is), probably won't matter.

Think you'll see the aurora tonight? Got clear skies there? It's dark now, and I took a couple pics, but don't know if it's the real thing.

Back