diy solar

diy solar

balancing strategies as they relate to BMS

Thanks, I have 100A MRBF but that seems too big. Should I get 30A MRBF? Or, 20A ATO fuses?

That is the size of the wires on my BMS. There are 4 of them.
The fuse is to protect the wire and 100amps is withing spec for 6 awg.
The only failures I could see happening is a wiring mistake or a short in the charger and a 100 amp fuse will handle that.
The BMS also has overcurrent protection but I never trust a fet to fail open.
Also for quality fuses the lower the rating means the higher resistance.

The fuse is to protect the wire and 100amps is withing spec for 6 awg.
I am wondering why not use a 15a fuse when the charger is rated for 12a?

I get that the fuse protects the wire but as drawn in post #119, the positive leg should not exceed 12a if operating correctly.

Wouldn’t tighter tolerances on the fuse be better?

I would think if the positive leg somehow gets 90a, the charger rated at 12a is going to be smoking or worse.

I am wondering why not use a 15a fuse when the charger is rated for 12a?

I get that the fuse protects the wire but as drawn in post #119, the positive leg should not exceed 12a if operating correctly.

Wouldn’t tighter tolerances on the fuse be better?
Yes and no.
The ATC fuse aic=air interuppt capcity is very low and its possible the fuse might blow and still sustain an arc in a dead short.

The ATC fuse aic=air interuppt capcity is very low and its possible the fuse might blow and still sustain an arc in a dead short.
You kind of lost me but it sounds like the fuse type/design is the problem rather than the size.
If the fuse blows yet the break/gap is small enough to arc across is disturbing and new to me. Is that because its 48v?

You kind of lost me but it sounds like the fuse type/design is the problem rather than the size.
If the fuse blows yet the break/gap is small enough to arc across is disturbing and new to me. Is that because its 48v?

The atc/atc fuse is only rated for 32 volts with an aic of 1000 amps
The mrbf fuse is rated to 58 volts with an aic of 2000 amps

This is another reason that I favor making discretely fused batteries in parallel each with its own bms and fuse.

The atc/atc fuse is only rated for 32 volts
I wasn’t suggesting using an under rated fuse. That 15a atc is woefully inadequate.

My thought was that if a LOT more than 12a were on that line, my preference would be for a fuse to blow. A 100a fuse seems way too big to help the charger side.

I wasn’t suggesting using an under rated fuse. That 15a atc is woefully inadequate.

My thought was that if a LOT more than 12a were on that line, my preference would be for a fuse to blow. A 100a fuse seems way too big to help the charger side.
Nothing would get hurt if 100A went through. 100A is to keep the wire from burning up.

You are saying that the 48v 12a charger will handle 100a?

I do not know but i suspect not.

Isn't the fuse to protect the battery from the charger? I don't think anything will send amps to the charger.
The fuse protects the wire first.
It will also protect the battery.
We are not trying to protect the charger.
One of the scenarios we are protecting the wire and the battery from is a dead short in the charger.

I thought the main fuse connected to battery positive is to protect the cables in case of a short and everything else should have a separate fuse?

I thought the main fuse connected to battery positive is to protect the cables in case of a short and everything else should have a separate fuse?
Its a single circuit with a single purpose.
How many fuses would you use and where would you put them?

Its a single circuit with a single purpose.
How many fuses would you use and where would you put them?
I took a closer look at the diagram. A single fuse would be ok and I would place the fuse as close to the cell positive as possible. I don't know of any reason it couldn't be placed on the negative side for that matter. Maybe I didn't read back far enough but what loads are planned?

I think he is using the same power supply I have. I have tested the power supply twice charging my Valence batteries and it does charge as advertised.

I think I have everything connected right. I still need to get some thin wire for battery connections to the coulomb meter.
I haven't turned on the power supply or BMS yet

IMG_20201023_152122103.jpgIMG_20201023_152140971.jpgIMG_20201023_152153781.jpg

I think I have everything connected right. I still need to get some thin wire for battery connections to the coulomb meter.
I haven't turned on the power supply or BMS yet
Yes that is fine. The Riden has two internal fuses. I am not sure about the actual power supply. Did you top balance the cells already?

Back